Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
N3rd
N3rd began at the beginning.

Device: None
No "open" ereaders? Shoud I buy the iPad Mini instead?

I want an ereader because of the screen but I don't want the forced ecosystem or forced registration. I want an open ereader. I can find one so should I buy the iPad Mini with Retina display even though of the LCD fatigue (eye strain)?
N3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid you can't use an iPad either without registering it. What's so bad about registration?

You're not "forced" into anybody's ecosystem with an eInk device. There's a wonderful free program called "Calibre" (which has a dedicated forum here at MR) which makes it easy to convert books between different formats. Although I have a Kindle, I buy ebooks from many different bookstores; owning a Kindle doesn't restrict you to only buying books from Amazon, any more than owning a Kobo forces you to buy from Kobo, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There are ways round the "enforced" registrations of both the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo/Aura etc. And if you use Calibre as HarryT suggests, you don't need to let yourself be locked into any store, or indeed any format.

There are readers that aren't linked to any bookstore, like those from Pocketbook, Onyx Boox, the Cybook Odysessy,the ImcoV6L. Generally a little more expensive, not as readily available, and for the most part (IMHO) not as good as the Kindle Paperwhite.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You don't need to register a Sony. You can get cheap T1 / T2s on ebay easy enough. The T2 is better. If you are computer savvy, you can get a Nook ST dirt cheap and root it and use Coolreader on it. Also you can 'root' Kobo now and run Android, but again, you need to to be a bit savvy.
Don't get an Ipad if you like open solutions. It is extremely closed. If you get an LCD-screen device, get an Android tablet. But I don't recommend it. LCD screens suck for reading on.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
LCD screens suck for reading on.
That very much depends on the individual; I can read academic PDFs on my iPad all day without difficulty. But I agree that eInk screens are far, far better for reading fiction.
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3rd View Post
I want an ereader because of the screen but I don't want the forced ecosystem or forced registration. I want an open ereader. I can find one so should I buy the iPad Mini with Retina display even though of the LCD fatigue (eye strain)?
If you want an open system, Apple is definitely the wrong direction!

But, even if you don't want to get into cracking DRM and converting formats, all the book retailers offer readers for a range of computers and tablets.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hacking a device to break it open and dodge the registration still involves financially supporting the overly controlling producers of these devices. So IMO it's insufficient.

You could buy a netbook that runs linux, and swap the screen for a dual-mode pixelQI screen. Then you have a better screen than all the commercial options, and everything is FOSS. No need for a nanny!
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Smile

Wanting an "Open" system and picking Apple. The irony.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Wanting an "Open" system and picking Apple. The irony.
The OPs rationale is that if he cannot control the device, then he might as well go for (what he considers) the best user experience. There's nothing worse than being controlled, and then also having lousy apps that are compulsory to boot (which is what you get with many androids, for example).

The irony here is actually that he's considering an eye-straining LCD, so he would be compromising on user experience as well.

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 12-16-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You don't need to register a Sony. You can get cheap T1 / T2s on ebay easy enough.
Indeed. I just bought a PRS-350 from eBay and love it. I loaded my library on it with Calibre and didn't register with Sony, nor do I plan to buy any books from Sony's store.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I don't find that my kobo or nook keep me bound to any store. I do buy drm free books from kobo though.

+ side note:

I used to feel that eink was the only good way to read ebooks. Then my eyes decided to go bad and everything changed. Now I mostly read on my Nook HD+ because I can see the text better than on my eink reader. The text is fuzzy to me on my eink reader which causes me eye fatigue, but the text on my tablet is easier to read.(clear, bold fonts and I can customize my reading experience better) I use Mantano Reading app which allows me to dim the backlight as low as my eink device can go.(I have compared side by side) I also suffer from insomnia and have found that reading on the Nook with light dimmed does not keep me awake.(as it did on previous tablets and phones that I have tried.) I didn't want to read on a tablet and was convinced that it was bad for my eyes, but at the moment my eyes have proved me wrong. I may go back to my eink device once I get new glasses, but for now...my eyes are most happy with the nook. I just wish the battery would last long like an eink device.

Sincerely,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Whatever works for YOU is what's right.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whatever works for YOU is what's right.
+1

Been preaching this for a long time!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Are you assuming that you'll have eye strain because of an LCD screen? I ask because many people say this and pretty much everyone believes it. I did until I actually started reading on Nexus 7. I actually find the text to crisper on my Nexus 7 as opposed to my old Sony PRS-350. If you find looking at LCD screens for a long period of time to be bothersome then I would simply look at options like Calibre. I registered my Sony Reader and my old Nook with the respective store but only used Calibre to sideload book onto. I wasn't locked into ANY bookstore with Calibre.

I've gotten lazy since I got my tablet because I can shop at all the bookstores via apps but Calibre is great (I need to start using it again).

I agree with the others about Apple being very closed. I mean if that's an issue for you then I'm not sure you want an iPad. Actually, just about every device is going to be closed in some way or another (unless you root it and that isn't for the faint of heart).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Pocketbook eReaders are "open", although if you're in the US, you'll have to buy from a reseller. (I got mine in Amazon's "marketplace").
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote