Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Exclamation Rare, consistent font/numbering problems in 2.10.0 & 3.0.0

I had two consistent problems in 2.10.0 on my Glo, and they did not go away in 3.0.0. I've talked about them at length in the 2.10.0 thread, but I think it's time to bump them to their own thread.

These problems seem to occur together:

1. My sideloaded epubs return to some small default size at certain transitions in the text, such as chapter breaks. I can increase the size, but it happens again when I hit the next chapter, etc. This happens with both sideloaded fonts like Droid Serif and native fonts such as Georgia.

2. I can't turn page numbers in margins off for very long.

Two other people have come forward with nearly identical problems, although in one case the user's font size increases instead of decreases at chapter breaks, and so on.

I can provide a little more data, and I will, but I wanted to kick off a new thread to get this issue more attention right away.

Thanks.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is there any chance you can share an ePub that exhibits this problem?

Additionally, maybe the Kobo eReader.conf file from .kobo\Kobo on your device.

Are you using a standard font, or one you have added to the fonts directory?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is there any chance you can share an ePub that exhibits this problem?

Additionally, maybe the Kobo eReader.conf file from .kobo\Kobo on your device.

Are you using a standard font, or one you have added to the fonts directory?
Thanks for your generosity, Peter. I will provide the epub and config file in a private message. I can answer the font question right now. The problem happens both with standard fonts, such as Georgia, and sideloaded fonts, such as Droid Serif.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Thanks for your generosity, Peter. I will provide the epub and config file in a private message. I can answer the font question right now. The problem happens both with standard fonts, such as Georgia, and sideloaded fonts, such as Droid Serif.
OK, I don't see a way to attach it to a private message, so I'll do it here. The book can be obtained for free from Smashwords anyway.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/366125

I'm attaching the version direct from my Kobo, in case my Glo has corrupted it. The config file is also in the zip archive.

Note that although this issue has been with me for days if not weeks, I'm suddenly having trouble reproducing it, so caveat hacker.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rwhedata.zip (131.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
I had two consistent problems in 2.10.0 on my Glo, and they did not go away in 3.0.0. I've talked about them at length in the 2.10.0 thread, but I think it's time to bump them to their own thread.

These problems seem to occur together:

1. My sideloaded epubs return to some small default size at certain transitions in the text, such as chapter breaks. I can increase the size, but it happens again when I hit the next chapter, etc. This happens with both sideloaded fonts like Droid Serif and native fonts such as Georgia.

2. I can't turn page numbers in margins off for very long.

Two other people have come forward with nearly identical problems, although in one case the user's font size increases instead of decreases at chapter breaks, and so on.

I can provide a little more data, and I will, but I wanted to kick off a new thread to get this issue more attention right away.

Thanks.
These two issues are driving me crazy as well. I updated my firmware to 3.0.0 in the hope that it would help, but the same two issues persist. At every chapter break, the font size changes to match the chapter heading font size. And even though I have ADE page numbering turned off, it reappears in the margin every time I wake my Aura HD from sleep. I can temporarily "fix" both of these issues just by fiddling with something in the bottom Aa menu. It doesn't matter what I fiddle with; changing the margins, for example, will fix both the font-size and the page numbers at the same time. They stay fixed until I put my Aura HD to sleep, but the next time I wake it, both problems reappear.

Edit: all of my books are side-loaded epubs.

Last edited by icallaci; 11-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
These two issues are driving me crazy as well. I updated my firmware to 3.0.0 in the hope that it would help, but the same two issues persist. At every chapter break, the font size changes to match the chapter heading font size. And even though I have ADE page numbering turned off, it reappears in the margin every time I wake my Aura HD from sleep. I can temporarily "fix" both of these issues just by fiddling with something in the bottom Aa menu. It doesn't matter what I fiddle with; changing the margins, for example, will fix both the font-size and the page numbers at the same time. They stay fixed until I put my Aura HD to sleep, but the next time I wake it, both problems reappear.
My experience is much the same. In addition, selecting another Chapter from the table of contents resets the font to the correct size. This is the experience of another user in the 2.10.0 thread too.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
That would be me probably

I have had this happen on one book. I tried two others but it didn't happen (yet).

as rwhe points out it can stop happening and stay stopped for a while or happen every chapter for a while.

I had it stop happening after accessing the TOC and thought ahh, a mickey mouse solution perhaps. 10 times at least I paged back and forth in the areas that I had previously found it always happened. Turned it on/off etc.

Thought it was gone, next day it was back. Consistently, every time and in the same exact parts of the book as well as all other chapters.

Book works fine on my mini which is 2.8.1 I think.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That would be me probably
Yes. I meant you and icallaci when I mentioned the two other users, but it seemed rude to talk about you in your absence. In hindsight, I guess it was just as rude not to notify you that this new thread had started up. Sorry!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Has anyone with this probelm tried a factory reset followed by fresh update?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I have. The problem resumed (in 2.10.0) shortly thereafter.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Yes, I tried a factory reset and fresh FW install. Didn't help. Also, accessing the TOC only seems to work for me if I select a TOC entry further along in the book than my present position. If I access a previous chapter via the TOC, the font size remains incorrect.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Yes. I meant you and icallaci when I mentioned the two other users, but it seemed rude to talk about you in your absence. In hindsight, I guess it was just as rude not to notify you that this new thread had started up. Sorry!
Not rude at all in either way or either matter.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
claycroft
claycroft began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ongoing issue with the side margin page numbers...they appear every time after putting Glo to sleep. Honestly not sure when this started, I believe is was 2.8.1.
Periodic issues with font size on new chapters, but it is always bigger.
I did a factory reset with 2.10.0 (issues still there) and hoped 3.0.0 would fix it, but so far no luck, at least with the page number. Font has been pretty stable so far.
claycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
rwhe
Hierodule

So the people with both problems (font resizing and margin numbering) include rwhe, icallaci, speakingtohe, and claycroft, probably others. There are many more people in the 2.10.0 thread and probably elsewhere experiencing just the margin numbering problem.

Are these two separate problems or are they connected? (They seem to be connected for me.) Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Speak up -- this is your chance to get some attention for the issue.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@rwhe,
I did try your epub but I'm not sure it's much help as my Kobo Glo is on fw3.0.0 (with Kobo Patcher mods).

FWIW, I drag-dropped it directly to the Glo and paged through most of the epub (as standard epub, not kepub) and I did not see any font-size changes between chapters, nor did the Adobe side page numbers show.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, kobo, margins, numbering