Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Locked files - symptom of deeper problems

Calibre 1.5 x64

Try to rename a book or change author and I get file locked message. Nothing else is running - check windows processes. Restart calibre to no avail.

I'm getting this A LOT since upgrading to 1.5

I can open explorer, and rename the affected folder and back again, to no avail. Calibre still reckons the file is locked.

I've just opened one of the affected folders on disk and there are duplicate copies of the book - the existing copies had shortened names, but the new ones are the Title field from Calibre.
I run Check Library - wow - lots of duplicate books listed under the "Extra Book Formats" section.
I delete them and I get an error message saying that calibre_recycle has failed.
The books are deleted nontheless.

Now I'm finally able to rename the book within calibre.

Unsure of the precise steps necessary to recreate this though.

Some other odd behaviour which may be related.
calibre_recycle crashes a lot!
On the disk where MyLibrary exists, I have started getting "MyLibrary deleted xhg2e" folders appearing, where the last part of the name is a random 5 character string.

Key question - can I regress - i.e. go back to an earlier version of calibre x64 without corrupting my library?

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 10-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure you can go back if you want, though if I were you I'd find out what the underlying problem is and fix that. THe most common cause of filesystem related problems is putting your calibre library ona networked drive or a in a location synced by a program like dropbox or google drive.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Of course I'd prefer to fix the underlying problem. I'm trying to work out how to recreate the problem so that it can be investigated, or proven a problem just for me.
Just hoped somebody else was experiencing the same already.

My calibre library has an SSD all to itself at the moment - it's not networked or shared, or synced.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Looking more closely - I haven't been able to reproduce this bug yet, but I think it occurs when the file names are longer than a certain length.

In each case one of the filenames is truncated by a couple of characters, while the other is complete.

Investigating this, I notice that if I have 2 books on disk with their filenames matching the titles in Calibre, but these titles are longer than a certain length, Calibre 1.5 will shorten the names if you merge the 2 books.
In certain circumstances it looks like it fails to delete the old file.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes the filename length restriction has been made more stringent in 1.x. That is not a bug, the question is why is it failling to delete the files.
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

OK - I've recreated it.

I have 2 books: an epub and a mobi -the book title is 34 characters, and the author is 23.
On the disc currently, there is no truncation, i.e the book appears as Title - Author.epub and Title - Author.mobi, in separate folders.

I select the epub file first, and then the mobi, and click merge.

When I go look at the epub folder on the disc, now there are 3 books - the original epub, and a copy with a slightly shorter title, and the mobi with a slightly shorter title.

I am unable to rename the book in calibre now.

If I delete the original (longer title) epub in file manager, now I can rename the book successfully in calibre.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button to do so) and post the log after recreating the problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

calibre Debug log
calibre 1.5 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 12.46 seconds with 138 books

Also the length of the author field is irrelevant - the title field alone seems to be responsible - I've triggered it with titles of 32 and 34 characters, but not 35 characters.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
On the disk where MyLibrary exists, I have started getting "MyLibrary deleted xhg2e" folders appearing, where the last part of the name is a random 5 character string.
@anthony.burton4 - I have not been had any file locks or calibre_recycle crashes - but I did get some folders show up in my Libraries folder with the 5 trailing random characters, they were related to my "Test" library so I didn't worry out them, they got shredded. About that time I had been creating some very long author & book titles in that library to investigate another 'problem' reported by an MR member.

I just ran Check Library on Test. The first phase reported everything was OK, but before I got that message I saw another msg come & go that had something about 'vacuuming the database'. And there was an 'extra' author and it was one I'd created with a very long name.

The library is in on a regular internal disk on a Win7 system, that's not network shared or cloud synched.

Thought you'd like to know that you're not entirely alone with this 'issue' but all I saw was the curious folders - no file locks or recycle crashes or other misbehaviour. Let me know if you want me to try to recreate the situation.

ETA : Library Path - "E:\CalibreLibraries\Test"

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-08-2013 at 11:11 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

29 characters is also ok.

You don't need to merge. Actually simply pressing F2 while on the title field, making no changes to the title, and then clicking on another book, results in a copy being created with a shorter title.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The copy being created is normal. The question is why is the delete of the original with a longer filename failing on your system. What is the complete path to your calibre library?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

currently

D:\Calibre\Test

The files are being mostly deleted normally - only when the title is between 32 and 34 characters are they left behind. It seems to me though that if it was a fault with my system, it would not be limited to this range, but I'd see it for 35 character titles as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since you appear to be using a test library, zip up the library folder (I assume its not very large) with at least one book that you think will recreate the problem and post it here. I will test it on my windows system.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

No more books in the test library that cause the above problem.

I'll have to regress calibre to create some test situations again.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
No more books in the test library that cause the above problem.

I'll have to regress calibre to create some test situations again.
Rather than regress why not install an old copy of calibre portable and use that to create a test library?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote