Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
German Kindle Paperwhite 2 for US customer in Germany

Hi,

I am a US amazon customer living in Germany and I am interested in getting the new kindle paperwhite 3G. Obviously, it would be a good idea to buy the device from amazon Germany if I want to send it back or for repairs.

However, I have some questions about that:

- Can I use my US account with the german firmware/hardware?
- Will the X-Ray functionality and the Goodreads functionality work on the German model?
- Will the Wikipedia lookup functionality connect to the English or German Wikipedia?
- Can I change the German firmware to the US firmware?
- Is there still free internet surfing via 3G for US customers?

Thanks and best regards,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
In the past there hasn't been a difference in firmwares AFAIK (on models after the K3, I think). The account you used and registered was what really mattered. I don't think there is (general) free internet surfing via 3G even for US customers in the US, let alone internationally. Or was it just capped?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
oecherprinte
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
In the past there hasn't been a difference in firmwares AFAIK (on models after the K3, I think). The account you used and registered was what really mattered. I don't think there is (general) free internet surfing via 3G even for US customers in the US, let alone internationally. Or was it just capped?
On my Kindle 3 Keyboard 3G I get free internet worldwide via 3g as a us customer. However, the browser is a pain.

Can others confirm that there is no difference in Hw or Fw between the Us and Germany?

How can I Select the language of the user interface?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
On my Kindle 3 Keyboard 3G I get free internet worldwide via 3g as a us customer. However, the browser is a pain.
Yes, on the K3. But not on the Paperwhite. On the PW, you can only use the 3G for Wikipedia and Kindle shop.

Quote:
Can others confirm that there is no difference in Hw or Fw between the Us and Germany?

How can I Select the language of the user interface?
There is a single firmware for all Paperwhites worldwide. You select the language when you first use the device; you can also change it in the device settings.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
oecherprinte
Zealot

OK. So X-Ray and Goodreads should also be available on a "German" kindle if it's the same firmware.
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Oecherprinte,

If you do have connections still in the US who could send you the US version, you would certainly also save some money.

My German K3 Keyboard does NOT have free web browsing in Germany.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
OK. So X-Ray and Goodreads should also be available on a "German" kindle if it's the same firmware.
X-ray yes: check out lesen.net for a hands-on video, in which they mention x-ray. The functionality on the PW is available, they say, but it sounds like German books do not have x-ray content yet.
No mentioning of goodreads on amazon.de, so probably not?

Compare the US features with the German features
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote