Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
cptnemo
Enthusiast
cptnemo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
PDF output is searchable with Adobe Reader but not with Mac Preview

Hello,

I converted an .epub into a .pdf. Once I try to search the text with Mac Preview (but also with Skim) I can't find any correspondence. Also when I try to copy some text from the .pdf I get a blank string. I can highlight the text normally.

All the above problems disappear when I use Adobe Reader. I can search and copy.

Should I select different options for the conversion?
cptnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That;s because mac preview has no support for unicode cmaps, a feature that was introduced to PDF over six years ago.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
cptnemo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That;s because mac preview has no support for unicode cmaps, a feature that was introduced to PDF over six years ago.
Any easy way to change the character encoding of the pdf output in Calibre? (Or hasn't it anything about the problem? I saw there are options for the input encoding, but can't find for the output...)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
cptnemo
Enthusiast

Thanks.

I found I could use a workaround for my character encoding problem. Maybe someone is interested. So see below.

If you want to copy & paste from the PDFs using Preview.app or Skim.app you can't use calibre to generated the PDF. I don't grasp all the technicalities but, in few words, the problem has to do with the encoding: calibre produce PDF with text with encoding "Identity-H", while Preview.app and Skim.app need "Ansi" encoding. Then you can:

1) Convert with calibre to HTMLZ.
2) Replace the .htmlz extension of the file with .zip
3) Unzip the file
4) Create the PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro using "Create from webpage"

(I tried also Word and LibreOffice, problem here they don't keep the internal links)

Tags
pdf