Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Bilbotorm
Bilbotorm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question [eBook Viewer Crash report] - CBR file crashing

Hello

I would like to escalate a little issue as after some research ; I couldn't find any suitable answers.
I have been using Calibre for years now; and till recently; I was using simply the 32 bit version.

I switched to the 64 bits yesterday, and faced a strange issue : the ebook viewer executable is unable to read CBR files. CBZ files are fine, epub etc all ok; but CBR no. If I launch the 32 bit version it works like a charm.

Error message :
calibre, version 0.9.42
ERREUR : Impossible d’ouvrir le livre numérique: Erreur inconnue

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 40, in run
File "threading.py", line 763, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 99, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\comic_i nput.py", line 180, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\comic_i nput.py", line 129, in get_pages
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\comic\input.py", line 32, in extract_comic
File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 283, in extract
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\unrar.py", line 150, in extract
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\unrar.py", line 127, in stream_extract
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\unrar.py", line 58, in current_item
MemoryError

Strange stuff : I have no memory issue (memtest launched just in case), I am under Windows 8 Pro 64 bits; i have like 5.5 go of free ram among 8 go available... So very strange issue.

I would appreciate any feedback here, till then, i'll stick to the 32 bit version.

Thanks !

PS : I saw some people faced this issue when converting CBR to ePub; but I am not; I am simply trying to view them (but this may be the same issue)
Bilbotorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Some people's windows 64 bit machines have some security settings/software that causes various bits of calibre to crash. If you are one of those unfortunates, just use the 32 bit version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbotorm View Post
PS : I saw some people faced this issue when converting CBR to ePub; but I am not; I am simply trying to view them (but this may be the same issue)
Yes it most likely is the same issue. Viewing any ebook in calibre's viewer requires the book to be in a basic epub format, so if a book is not an epub then a quick and dirty conversion to epub is done first and that epub is sent to the viewer.

A work around exists if you have another CBR viewer on your computer you can go to Preferences - Behavior and uncheck CBR under the Use internal viewer for window and calibre will use whatever program is associated with CBR to view the book.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Bilbotorm
Bilbotorm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for the reply both of you.
Indeed i'll stick to the 32 bit version but i prefered to report the issue in case it could help (or if u needed me to conduct tests on some beta version or whatever)

Very strange issue (and the only one so far on 64 b version) hope it will get fixed someday

Thanks both
Bilbotorm is offline   Reply With Quote