Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
lowndes
lowndes began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
What do eBay buyers do if their Kindle goes bad?

What do you eBay buyers do if your Kindle breaks down after a month or two? Did you guys buy an extended warranty? I'd be afraid that I'd be left with a $450-525 paperweight.
lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
What do you eBay buyers do if your Kindle breaks down after a month or two? Did you guys buy an extended warranty? I'd be afraid that I'd be left with a $450-525 paperweight.
I believe that they are treated the same as if they were received as gifts. It is good to get the Amazon order number from the seller, but don't know if it is definitely required.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I believe that they are treated the same as if they were received as gifts.
If you live outside the US, you're effectively buying with no warranty. Amazon won't touch a Kindle with a barge-pole unless you live in the US.

The same is true of the Sony too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
mhaas2
mhaas2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Axim X51V
I have been down this road. My new Kindle's display packed it up after 2 hours. I called Amazon support and they are sending me a replacement. They do need the original order number, but they were able to look it up based on the name of the original purchaser. All in all it took 15 mins. on the phone. Replacement time was not quoted but he did say it would be more than a week, less than a month, as warranties are getting priority. I wanted this for a cruise I am leaving on at the end of this week, so I ebay'd another. I figure I can sell the replacement one.
mhaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So from what I gather the Kindle warranty is based on when the original purchaser purchased it and not when you've actually received it regardless of how long ago it was purchased right? So if the original purchaser purchased the Kindle a month ago, you lose a month worth or warranty?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I believe so. That's pretty much true of all warranties. If my car has a five year warranty and I sell it after four years, the car doesn't get another five years (an effective nine year warranty). If that were the case I could be driving my auntie's old Dodge Dart Swinger with full warranty coverage if I'd just passed it around to enough people.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I believe so. That's pretty much true of all warranties. If my car has a five year warranty and I sell it after four years, the car doesn't get another five years (an effective nine year warranty). If that were the case I could be driving my auntie's old Dodge Dart Swinger with full warranty coverage if I'd just passed it around to enough people.
Actually many if not most manufacturers provide no warranty except to the original purchaser.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually many if not most manufacturers provide no warranty except to the original purchaser.

Dale
This is very true. It was just very lucky that Amazon allowed the warranty to be transferred.

But, what if you buy a Kindle as a gift for someone? Surely you could claim that the eBay sale was really a purchase as a gift as long as the seller is willing to go along with that claim.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is very true. It was just very lucky that Amazon allowed the warranty to be transferred.

But, what if you buy a Kindle as a gift for someone? Surely you could claim that the eBay sale was really a purchase as a gift as long as the seller is willing to go along with that claim.
I know several companies including Garmin (major gps manufacturer) that explicitly exclude any warranty for anything sold on eBay.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
That is maybe true on some stuff... you need a reciept. Other stuff, they will go by the manufacture date based on the serial number.

For example, recently my's sons laptop hard drive that we bought a circuit city failed. It had a five year warranty. I went on the Segate web site, requested an RMA. They just asked for the serial number, and knew it was a year old... so they replaced it for free. They didn't want any proof or purchase at all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
You have however much warranty is left (i.e. how long since it was shipped out). i.e. I bought a used Kindle 1 from Craigs list that's about 6 months old, so I if it breaks in the next 6 months I can get it fixed/replaced.

As others said, not every company is like that, but Amazon is.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote