Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
pdftoppm misbehaving, can't import books

Hi all,

I've noticed that when importing PDFs, sometimes Calibre becomes unresponsive and appears to crash. However, when I check processes, I notice that the problem is actually pdftoppm (which I presume generates cover image from a PDF). It uses tons on RAM/CPU and becomes unstable. After I kill pdftoppm, Calibre (sometimes) remains unresponsive and you have to force quit is as well. So you basically can't import some books because of a pdftoppm bug.

Is there anything that can be done? Can I disable pdftoppm?

Thanks

Using the latest Calibre, Mac version.

Last edited by MelBr; 07-05-2013 at 01:51 PM.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBr View Post
Hi all,

I've noticed that when importing PDFs, sometimes Calibre becomes unresponsive and appears to crash. However, when I check processes, I notice that the problem is actually pdftoppm (which I presume generates cover image from a PDF). It uses tons on RAM/CPU and becomes unstable. After I kill pdftoppm, Calibre (sometimes) remains unresponsive and you have to force quit is as well. So you basically can't import some books because of a pdftoppm bug.

Thanks

You may have a CPU cooling problem (as you noted, Calibre can grab big chunks of CPU crunch power) or bad RAM.
Yours is the first complaint on this I have seen here, so I don't think 'bug'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You may have a CPU cooling problem (as you noted, Calibre can grab big chunks of CPU crunch power) or bad RAM.
Yours is the first complaint on this I have seen here, so I don't think 'bug'
It's a 6 month old MacBook Air. My machine is in absolutely perfect working order. Nevr had any issues with any other app.

I'm importing ONE 2MB PDF book. pdftoppm is using gigs of RAM and never finishes. If that's not a bug I don't know what is.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Try another book. Could be a bug in the book. Or something in the pdf that pdftoppm doesn't like.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Plugins disable the pdf metadata reader plugin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
MelBr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you Kovid! That works.

I've encountered this pdftoppm bug only twice or thrice so far. There seem to be some PDFs that it doesn't like.

If you can point me to its maintainer, I'll send them the PDF in question. The PDF opens fine in Acrobat Pro XI and Preview and neither report any issues with it.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It comes from the poppler project: http://poppler.freedesktop.org/
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
farleylai
Young Kindler
farleylai began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
pdftoppm runs long for merged pdf

Downloaded the latest 2.13 and encountered this problem though eventually it was down but took several minutes hogging the CPU tightly. It's probably because the pdf is a merged version from several pdfs.
farleylai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
harrykar
harrykar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBr View Post
Hi all,

Thanks

+1 here and it's not a hardware problem the culprit is pdftoppm he licks 3GB RAM (of total 4 in my system) + Swap too (= thrashing behaviour) (but not CPU cycles --see attached pics-- )
so when i tried to add some hundreds of books the machine became unresponsively unused; notice that after i closed calibre pdftoppm continue to take 3 GB of RAM + Swap (definitely a thrashing behaviour) and the only way i found to free that RAM Swap memory was to kill that process
I'm on a Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (aka lucid lynx) and i have installed the last workable calibre for that OS release (1.48) ; 2.x release of calibre is not working for me because of the new qt lib used from calibre i guess

After i tried more times and got the same problem I found a "divide et impera" partially(i am sure the problem arises only from someone pdf the target is to find that problematic pdfs ) workaround :
1. divide the whole block of books in smaller (say 4 or more) more "manageable" sub-blocks and put every sub-block in a directory(folder)
2. do Add from calibre for the 1st sub-block and after finisced(hopefully whithout problems in contrary case rake note of the problematic pdf and put it out of the containing folder) close calibre
3. reopen it and repeat from step 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	282
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	140697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	219
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	140698  

Last edited by harrykar; 08-01-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: plus
harrykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
harrykar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
i can't find a so called or similar plugin there in calibre 1.48 any other workaround ?
TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	User plugins_057.png
Views:	181
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	140695   Click image for larger version

Name:	User plugins_058.png
Views:	285
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	140696  
Old 08-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrykar View Post
i can't find a so called or similar plugin there in calibre 1.48 any other workaround ?
TIA
That PI is a standard Calibre PI (you were looking only at User Supplied PI)

Goto
Preferences: (change Calibre Behavior): Plugins: (expand)Metadata Reader PI: Read PDF Metadata (use the button near the bottom to disable)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
harrykar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That PI is a standard Calibre PI (you were looking only at User Supplied PI)

Goto
Preferences: (change Calibre Behavior): Plugins: (expand)Metadata Reader PI: Read PDF Metadata (use the button near the bottom to disable)
Thank you very much @theducks
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just as a matter of curiosity, why are you still on 10.04?

I can think of all kinds of reasons to not use unsupported and out-of-date OSes, and not many reasons to stick on one.

Are you avoiding the horrifically ugly and anti-useful Unity desktop? If so, switch to Cinnamon and Linux Mint!
That is what I... would've done, if I hadn't gone all the way to Arch Linux, anyway.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-04-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I can think of all kinds of reasons to not use unsupported and out-of-date OSes, and not may reasons to stick on one.

Are you avoiding the horrifically ugly and anti-useful Unity desktop? If so, switch to Cinnamon and Linux Mint!
That is what I... would've done, if I hadn't gone all the way to Arch Linux, anyway.
;ditto: Mint is ( ) and clean, the way Ubuntu used to be
Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #15
harrykar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I can think of all kinds of reasons to not use unsupported and out-of-date OSes, and not many reasons to stick on one.
Hi @eschwartz
lasiness?! not have to do with new things (if that's not required )

from a point of view you're right (so i did till 2010) -- yes the new interface was the reason initially i'm an old guy afterall -- but i decided to follow the principle "KISS and not change it if not broken and if can do your work" i can't pretend others understand that point but can assure you till now i had no problems (OS security updates are not missing)
i guess the reason to change is if you want an app you haven't and is extremely difficult to workaround the OS to do it

Quote:
yeah i hear about Cinnamon and ways to force Gnome3 show as Gnome2 ecc ; Regard FLOSS Os's out there nowadays exist zillions of Linux distros it's a bit a caotic enviroment i prefer BSD's for that reason

Last edited by harrykar; 08-19-2015 at 06:08 AM.