Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Devanagari?

Hi,

Has anyone been able to successfuly display Devanagari script on their T1? The following is the font declaration:

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "Devanagari MT"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/DevanagariMT.ttf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Devanagari MT"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/DevanagariMT.ttf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Devanagari MT"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/DevanagariMT.ttf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Devanagari MT"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/DevanagariMT.ttf);}
That's included with an @include in the main CSS. I use this for all other fonts and they display correctly, including Chinese. But Devanagari displays only as question marks. I'd guess that the T1 might not support it but that'd be strange. I've also tried multiple Devanagari fonts with the same results.

Hope someone has had better luck.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, ADE/RMSDK based ebook readers cannot handle diacritics that logically follow a letter, but need to be displayed left of it. (For example, ADE cannot handle the Devanagari vowel sign I and similar Tamil diacritics.)

You easily test this by embedding a font in an epub. For example, in my test file the sixth word in the first paragraph (bud'dhimāna) wasn't rendered correctly, because of the I vowel sign.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Hindi_AnapurnaSIL.epub (175.2 KB, 227 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Thanks.

I was having problems getting Devanagari to show up at all. Haven't tested it but I think it's since I tried to apply two styles (like style="sanskrit centered").

Since there are issues anyway with ADE, I'll likely stick with iBooks. Is there no decent non-ADE reader?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Thanks.

I was having problems getting Devanagari to show up at all. Haven't tested it but I think it's since I tried to apply two styles (like style="sanskrit centered").

Since there are issues anyway with ADE, I'll likely stick with iBooks. Is there no decent non-ADE reader?
Just a note that the Kindle does display such fonts correctly, if you fancy a change of platform.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
democrite
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just a note that the Kindle does display such fonts correctly, if you fancy a change of platform.
Glad to hear that HarryT. Might consider that someday.
Advert