Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Which Format for books

newbie question - I've seen books in epub and mobi format. Does it make any difference as to which I add to my Calibre library? For readers we have an iPad2, iPad mini and Kindle.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Either (or both) can be used. mobi is Amazon's format used by the Kindle or the Kindle app under iOS. ePub is the format used by iBooks and many other iOS reader apps.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
While it's true - either - I try to get an epub if it's available. Then I can convert neatly into either mobi or azw3 as my needs arise.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
When adding I convert all to ePub. Since that's just zipped HTML I can modify it if I want to (correcting typos, linking to explanatory info, etc). (Although all, or nearly all formats can be modified if you know how I find HTML easier.) Then I convert it to whatever format is needed when loading it onto the reader.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're asking about which format to download from sites that have multiple formats, I would first see if the site favors one format over another, because that would likely be their "original" format and all others are converted from that.

If not, then I would recommend epub just slightly over mobi, simply because there are more epub-only plugins for Calibre than mobi-only plugins, and you may decide you want to use these in the future.

Other than that, the two formats are pretty much interchangeable in Calibre and converting between the two is usually not a problem, so either one is fine.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks guys! In that the iPad uses ePub (this is what I understand) I've been going after ePub and converting when necessary. I've been downloading from news groups and sometimes I don't have the option to download ePub thus I download what is available and then convert to ePub.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote