Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you always keep the original file of your books?

I am doing some cleaning up of my library since I am about to get an epub (as opposed to mobi) reader and I am wondering about keeping original files. In the past, I always kept the epub when converting from mobi because it can be easily edited if there are mistakes. And I am keeping the mobi files because I can email them to the Kindle apps on my iDevices. But I have some old PDB files which were liberated and then imported into Calibre, and I am wondering if there is any benefit to keeping them, other than 'they are the original file.' I can edit the epubs with Sigil and epubs are a better format, no? So is there any benefit to keeping the PDB or should I just trash them?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
My suggestion is to trash the PDB after you have read the ePub conversion and are happy enough with it. That way, you know the ePub is OK to keep and the original can then go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree with JSWOLF but I keep them all anyway.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I keep the originals. More trouble to delete these tiny files than it is worth.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
I have a little bit of a special circumstance here, a while ago I over bought on external drive space and right now I have approximately three Terabytes worth of hard disk space and take it from me one terabyte is more than I probably could ever use in my life and have three of them. So in my case hard drive space is not really an issue.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I keep the originals. It's not like they take up much space anyway so I don't feel bad about it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
At the price of hard disks these days, I just keep *all* originals.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Is there such a thing really? I mean your original ebook is just a copy of the ebook that the author uploaded to the site so really our 'originals' are copies of copies of copies and if we then send them to our readers they're copies of copies of copies of copies. So which is the original? lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Libre Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have a little bit of a special circumstance here, a while ago I over bought on external drive space and right now I have approximately three Terabytes worth of hard disk space and take it from me one terabyte is more than I probably could ever use in my life and have three of them. So in my case hard drive space is not really an issue.
You must not have a lot of video and audio files!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Firefly, Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012, K3 WiFi 3G
I make ALL mine into ePub & Mobi & Keep Both.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Blossom
Wrapped up in Christmas
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 4 Kindles, 2 Kindle Fires, 2 SGPs, Nexus 7 and Fire Phone
I keep all my originals in its own library. I then have a separate library for conversions which are Mobi and Epub. I can't begin to count how many times I'm half way through a book to find something wrong that needs to be fixed.
Not to mention you never know when it's going to be that one version of Calibre where there is a bug introduced and you just happen to do alot of converting only to find out later you need to go back and reconvert that batch now the bug has been fixed. So having originals are important.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Originals are the ones in the the state that they were shipped

What is in my working Library are the results of my adjustments.
Some are just tiny tweaks to better render on my PEz.
Others have had serious overhaul.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Count me as keeping the originals
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
I keep the originals as well.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I keep the originals. More trouble to delete these tiny files than it is worth.
Me too. I just don't care to bother deleting them.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote