Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Sony PRS-T2.. worth getting the light? What are my other options for reading in bed?

hi all, i just got a PRS-T2 and saw the sony light accessory, but it's $50. could anyone tell me if it's worth it? how does it receive power by the way? does it get power from the PRS-T2? is it worth spending $50 for it? how else can i read in my bed? do other companies make accessories?

i just want to use it for reading in bed.

thanks all
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have the Sony cover with light for my T1 and I love it. There's a whole thread about covers/lights [link below] and while they talk about T1, it should still give you some ideas for your T2. Welcome to MBR.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152798
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
I have one on my T1, and one on my T2. Both basically the same and interchangeable. It takes a AAA battery and is adjustable. You turn it on by lifting the light out of it's casing, turn it off by returning it.

I like them. The light is nice and you can cover the whole screen. Sometimes it's a bit of a glare if you have a shiny machine. Works for me.

For me, I like that it doesn't take it's power from the machine itself. We had power out for a couple of days after a storm, and it was easier to find a battery than it would have been trying to find a power source to charge the machine itself. I read a lot, made it through fine.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
- Sony PRS-T2.. worth getting the light? What are my other options for reading in bed? -

Well for me, even though I was used to lit reading devices, the other option was not to buy a light at all and after a trial without one I ended up not bothering with one.

I have been reading eBooks for many years before I got a T1, that on PDAs and smartphones which had, of course, backlit screens so I could read in the dark (including in bed), so I wondered how I would get on without a lit reader. I was put off the lights which had larger batteries by the cost of the light, and off the cheaper lights by their use of high cost low capacity button cells. Also, for me, a light would be just yet another cluttering gizmo in the collection of things to cart around.

After a year's use of the reader I have found that I did not need a light at all, and if I had of bought one I likely would not have used it. In bed I just use the bedside reading lamp (and you can buy a lot of electricity for those for $50 ), and on planes, our boat, airport lounges, hotels, etc, etc there are always reading lights, or else sufficient other light, because people like to read paper type books in those places too.

Perhaps if one goes camping in a tent, or something similarly primitive where personal area lighting may be an issue, a reader light might be useful.

In the end it is obviously a very personal decision, but for myself I am very pleased that I did not waste my money by assuming that I would need one.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
The light I bought when I had my last ereader was a travelflex light by mighty bright. It gives good coverage, doesn't just have a small circle of light. My T2 just got here Monday, and I haven't used the light with it yet, but I'm using the cover from my old ereader so I'm sure it will be fine. I don't often need to use a light and the sony is much easier to read than my old ereader. If you are in the states, check the Meijer stores, they had some on clearance recently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...ls_o04_s00_i00
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
ok thanks guys.

so it uses a AAA battery? how long does the battery last? i was hoping it'd use the e-reader's own power source.

thanks!

Last edited by EbookNovice; 10-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Dollar Tree cost $1 clip on eReader light. Takes those tiny round batteries pack of 8 $1 Had mine for 18 months still using the org batteries LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
ok thanks guys.

so it uses a AAA battery? how long does the battery last? i was hoping it'd use the e-reader's own power source.

thanks!
Sorry, can't tell you that yet. Mine are still on their first round of batteries.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm not to happy at the price I paid sony for the T1 case but the light there does do a pretty good job and it's even lighting, even in the day the light makes the screen seem much more white.

As for battery life I would guess you are looking at about 15 to 20 hours use for each AAA I've been using rechargeables and I probably get at least a couple of weeks between switches.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
The light I bought when I had my last ereader was a travelflex light by mighty bright. It gives good coverage, doesn't just have a small circle of light.
ditto. It's a good light and I can use it on more than one model *gasp*
At their prices, Sony can kiss me where the sun don't shine. In addition, it makes for a bulkier cover.

I'm kinda pining for a kindle / kobo glo, but I know in my heart sony is the hardware for me.

Oh, and a light in some form or other is a must with an ereader imo. I get eye-strain without it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I got the Sony lighted cover for my T1 and have been quite happy with it. I believe we bought elsewhere than Sony though and got a better price.

I was kind of pining for a Kindle PW or Kobo Glo, but I went to see a Nook Glow recently, didn't really care for the effect. It wasn't all that even, the light was quite blue, just didn't "click" with my eyes. I get much better light from my Sony lighted covers (350 and T1).

Last night, was reading some of the reviews that other MobileRead users have posted upon getting their new Kindles, it doesn't sound to me like the tech is all that wonderful just yet. Maybe Sony was right to wait and get it perfected before releasing it. Not pining so much now, though I would've liked the higher res screen in the new Sony.

At any rate, most of my reading is under good light, so I don't pull the light out that often, except at bedtime. The battery seems to last a good while for me, but I haven't actually "clocked" it, so to speak. I'd guess about a month, but obviously, YMMV.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
ok thanks guys.

thanks!
You can also use rechargeable AAA batteries - they don't last as long as the regular batteries, but it doesn't feel so wasteful to use them. The lighted cover doesn't charge the batteries, in case it's not clear. Just wanted to share this option - it's what I use for my 350 lighted cover.

Couldn't tell you how long they last. I don't read with the light all the time (or much at all, to be honest). I might swap out the rechargeable every time I use it, but that might be because I haven't used it in two months and just want to be sure I have a fully charged one once I start reading.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

I always like to have a hard cover for my Sonys, and the Sony ones are just so well designed I don't mind paying a bit extra for the "lighted" version - probly not a lot more than a separate light anyway. And the light does a very good job from the right angles, and is neat and unobtrusive when not in use.
I reckon they're hard to beat - and I've yet to have a damaged reader (fingies x'd!)

Oh, and I use fast-charge "StayCharged" duracell rechargeables, which seem to last for ever.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Couldn't tell you how long they last. I don't read with the light all the time (or much at all, to be honest). I might swap out the rechargeable every time I use it, but that might be because I haven't used it in two months and just want to be sure I have a fully charged one once I start reading.
You should buy the rechargeable ones that come precharged they generally keep their charge much longer between uses, whether it's eneloops, duracells or energisers.

Another trick with nimh rechargeables would be putting them in a zip lock bag and freezing them I do this now and again anyway as it actually helps refresh the battery (how it works I don't know but it really seems to).
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Best light going imho:

http://www.amazon.com/Verso-Recharge.../dp/B004D39RM2

Although Amazon only mentions that its suitable for Kindles, I used it with my T1 and now my T2 - great even light, no glare and adds little to the weight of the package and its rechargeable!

Video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EOtQXBzzk8

I used the Sony cover/light combo it was large, awkward, ate batteries and took a lot of fiddling to get an even flow of light on the screen without glare and hotspots. I have also used one of those gooseneck clip-ons and while better than the Sony combo, it was too large and over powered the reader's balance and it was difficult to get the clip secure on the reader without obscuring part of the screen.

If you want one you may have to hurry as I believe its been discontinued.

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote