Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Monthly 50 MB limit to Kindle Keyboard's 3G usage?

I got a message on my Kindle 3G today that I've never seen before.

I was using the browser when it popped up a message to say that I'd hit my 50 MB monthly limit of 3G Web access on my Kindle 3G. When I clicked the 'OK' button (which was my only choice, really), I got a second message saying that I'd have 24 hours of grace to continue to use 3G for Web browsing, but that after that I could use 3G only for visiting Amazon.com, Wikipedia, and the Kindle Store. Otherwise I will be obligated to use Wi-Fi.

Granted, I haven't been active on the MobileRead forums for a while, but this is the first I've heard of this. It came as a bit of a surprise, to put it mildly.

I did some Googling and found this article on Amazon limiting the Kindle Touch's 3G Web access, but still haven't managed to spot anything on the older 3G model being limited.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Has anyone had experience of being cut off? And will my 'global' 3G access resume immediately on the first of next month, or...?
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

P.S. Forgot to mention that although I bought my Kindle from the U.S. Amazon Kindle store, I'm in Canada (if that's relevant).
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I just Googled to find out more about this. Several sources report that as of July 1st Kindle Keyboard 3G web browsing is limited to 50 MB per month in some areas outside the United States. The only information I could find on Amazon was this, from Using Kindle Keyboard if You Live Outside the United States:

Quote:
Experimental Web Browser

The Experimental Web Browser is currently only available for some customers outside of the United States and may be limited to 50MB of browsing over 3G per month. This limit does not apply when customers are browsing over Wi-Fi.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Well, I guess you can say "thank you" to people such as this guy.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting, but not too surprising. It only takes a small number of people abusing the service to spoil it for everybody. I hope these people who boasted about using the Kindle for tethered Internet access are pleased with the result of their actions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
chamekke
Groupie

Well, I was using my Kindle a lot more than usual this month, so hopefully I won't be in danger of coming anywhere near the new limit again in any case!

I agree with people who say that Amazon Kindle is under no obligation to supply infinite bandwidth indefinitely. It's just that I hadn't heard anything about it, so it came as a bit of a shock.

I hope these people who boasted about using the Kindle for tethered Internet access are pleased with the result of their actions.

*sigh* I agree. It's a shame when a minority who abuse the system end up costing the majority who don't.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
such a shame - Actually I bought it for free internet (not tethering) while I'm abroad.. they might at least give us 100MB :/
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Although I understand that Amazon wants to prevent abuse, this feels like a bait and switch since I bought the Kindle with advertised unlimited 3G.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Although I understand that Amazon wants to prevent abuse, this feels like a bait and switch since I bought the Kindle with advertised unlimited 3G.
Web browsing was only ever described as an "experimental" service which could be withdrawn at any time. It appears on the menu under "Experimental", does it not?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I bought a Wi-Fi Kindle, even though it was the version I wanted. I just assumed that the 3G version was only for buying direct from Amazon. Didn't know that it could also be used for ordinary internet access as well.

This could be open to abuse very easy, especially if you go on holiday abroad, and let Amazon pick up the bill for roaming internet charges.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post
I bought a Wi-Fi Kindle, even though it was the version I wanted. I just assumed that the 3G version was only for buying direct from Amazon. Didn't know that it could also be used for ordinary internet access as well.

This could be open to abuse very easy, especially if you go on holiday abroad, and let Amazon pick up the bill for roaming internet charges.
Using the browser on the device, it's hard to really generate substantial traffic. It's an entirely different story if the device provides access for "real" computers (tethering).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post

I tried the browser on my K3 and it was a royal PITA to navigate the web without a touch screen. I won't make that mistake again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
anyone knows when the limit is set back to 50MB ? At the beginning of the month ?
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
anyone knows when the limit is set back to 50MB ? At the beginning of the month ?
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Perhaps best to ask Kindle CS.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
OH...Bad news.Since last sunday,my 3G was not available.
I am curious about that and connect with the amazon server.
Now i know the reason.Fortunately i did not return to factory that amazon tell me to do.
But before it is not limited.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote