Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Komic, a Kindle comic reader

****************COMPATIBILITY****************
The actual version (V2.3) works on Kindle Touch 5.3.2 and following (not previous) firmwares.
As regards Paperwhite, Komic doesn't support it OTB.

SHORT VERSION:
KOMIC V2.1 (AND PREVIOUS) ==> KINDLE TOUCH 5.1.2 AND PREVIOUS
KOMIC V2.2 (AND FOLLOWING) ==> KINDLE TOUCH 5.3.2 (AND FOLLOWING)

****************README****************
This WAF is made to be integrated with KUAL.
You need to jailbreak your Kindle and to install KUAL.
If anyone wants to work on it and make it better, just post the results here for everyone.
Old versions can be found here.
I'm not responsible for bricks (I even don't know how they can happen, this WAF is safe), file deletions (once again, really unlikely) or any other problem.

************HOW TO INSTALL************
1. Plug your Kindle to your computer
2. Copy update_komic_*.install.bin directly onto the Kindle device
(i.e., not into any sub-directory)
3. Restart your Kindle using Menu > Settings, Menu > Update.

Please note that upgrading to a new version will keep your bookmarks and your Gallery folder (except when updating to V2.3).
On the other hand, uninstalling will delete all Komic folder and Komic folder.

************WELCOME PACK*************
When installing or upgrading Komic from V2.2 on, you'll find a small =README= folder inside the Gallery folder.
Open it with Komic to see a short changelog and a few infos on how to use Komic.
You can delete it!

************STILL TO DO*************
- bring back pinch-to-zoom
- handle HOME button (in V2.3 you need to tap CLOSE on the alert when exiting Komic)

FOR EVERYTHING ELSE, USE THE HELP PAGE INSIDE KOMIC
IT TOOK A WHILE TO WRITE IT DOWN IN ITALIAN/ENGLISH, SO PLEASE USE IT!!

KOMIC V1.7
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- added ancillary functions
- new Schedule folders deletion option in menu
- dropdown menus show names in a dynamic way based on the maximum amount of characters available
- few code improvements

Note that installing v1.7 removes old ImageGallery entries in appreg.db.
If you want to downgrade (why?), you'll have to use the plain install packages.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V1.7

KOMIC V1.8
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- added Options menu in Home with on/off switches
- new options: autosave, autojump, zoom buttons
- added Move and rename screenshots ancillary function
- new buttons (thanks to Titano)
- Rename script has a new sorting engine...
- code improvements in all ancillary functions
- minor UI and code improvements

Check above for instructions on options and ancillary functions.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V1.8

KOMIC V1.9
Spoiler:

ChangeLog (this is huge...):
- added total page number for every comic
- better error control and handling
- Jump to page now has a control over unexisting pages
- added schedule deletion in reading menu + a reminder in titlebar
- lock image size now locks also scroll position to provide a sort of "white margins deletion"
- in landscape mode, adjust scroll has now a slidebar to tune the amount of scrolling
- added the ability to choose clockwise or anticlockwise rotation for landscape mode
- added the ability to maintain image aspect ratio
- added sounds in all scripts when done (or when you get an error). You can enable/disable sounds.
- lots of under-the-hood improvements (it should be a little faster now)
- minor UI improvements
- brand new bin update to install and uninstall Komic (it will also keep your bookmarks!)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V1.9

KOMIC V2.0
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- refreshed Options menu in Home with two pages
- new options: remember mode, go to last read
- autojump now works also for previous comic (i.e: if ON, when on first page and going to previous page you'll be redirect to previous comic)
- scroll amount is now saved even if Komic is closed
- fixed the force close problem
- added Check for updates ancillary function
- code improvements in all ancillary functions
- minor UI improvements
- lots of under-the-hood improvements

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V2.0

KOMIC V2.1
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- automatic page turner
- change contrast and brightness
- change background color
- cover view
- jquery everywhere (no more JS alerts, confirms, prompts)
- localization
- first page/last page buttons in jump to page
- text-based choos-a-comic page
- kindle-style menus everywhere
- jquery boxes for bookmarks, deletions and something else

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V2.1

KOMIC V2.2
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- support for 5.3.2 firmware
- support for ComicInfo.xml
- new communication system (from and to Komic)
- new refresh page option
- ancillary functions moved inside
- no more name-pattern
- fix for on-screen information
- fix for memory leaks
- fix for localStorage file
- lots of under-the-hood fixes

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V2.2

KOMIC V2.3
Spoiler:

ChangeLog:
- quick save option
- show/hide status bar option
- preload option
- fullscreen in landscape mode
- power swipe
- autosave with HOME button
- multiple selection in bookmark/deletion
- remove borders from images
- extended info when status bar is hidden
- new jQuery
- jQuery UI buttons
- new page turning engine
- new scroll engine
- new cover view page
- search in folder list
- help page
- reduced memory leaks
- HTML/CSS/JS completely rewritten
- new bookmarks/deletions/options engine
- LOTS, LOTS, LOTS of under the hood fixes

Please note that, due to a change in how bookmarks/options/deletions are managed, this time is impossible to keep your preferences.
Updating will mean losing them, sorry!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD KOMIC V2.3

As I can't upload all screenshots in this post, please refer to this Flickr account!
(Yes, some of these pics are in italian...sorry!)

Here's the repo. Take it, modify it and share it again!

Last edited by silver18; 02-07-2016 at 11:51 AM.
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Komic

Master and main index sections added, thread added to WAF index.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
SCREENSHOTS WILL FOLLOW...
So will "potshots" (from the comic book crowd, now that you renamed it to attract their attention).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
pookakitten
Connoisseur
pookakitten began at the beginning.

Device: K5

Yay! I installed it already. I can't wait to try it out.

Got a question that's been on my mind for a while. You said in the past to delete bookmarks once you're done with them to keep some file manageable. What happens if I delete a directory without removing the bookmarks?
pookakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
I want to thank you for working on this. This is a great way for me to enjoy my large manga collection on my KT. It works great. Before this, I was converting things to mobi files. This is much more convenient and give a better result.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
New version, new topic Thanks

A little suggestion: Can you make it auto-create bookmark when we quit?
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you delete a folder, the script deletes also the bookmark if present!!

As regards auto saving a bookmark, it could be done! Bookmark could be saved when you return home and/or change a folder.
EDIT: Do you prefer to autosave bookmark only when returning home or also when changing folder?

Last edited by silver18; 06-21-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think both would be perfect
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
pookakitten
Connoisseur

Quote:
When you delete a folder, the script deletes also the bookmark if present!!
OK, so to keep the files behaving, I need to do the deletions through the scripts and not my PC?

What does the rename script look at when it renames? I got some pretty weird behavior. The files were named 03_001, 03_002, etc. with the credits named as such. The credits were interspersed with the regular pages. Just a FYI. I'll be going back to Mangle to get my double pages automatically rotated. Such is life, huh? Still, great feature to add.

Since CBZ/CBR support is uncompressing them on the Kindle, I might as well just do that on my PC--I'm not saving any space. Does that feature take up much space on the kindle? If so, maybe offer a Lite version? Just an
idea--no need to have 2 versions if that's too difficult/unwieldy.

so much for this. I get to use my touch for the reason I upgraded from my Sony Reader Pocket. Larger screen for manga!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookakitten View Post
OK, so to keep the files behaving, I need to do the deletions through the scripts and not my PC?

What does the rename script look at when it renames? I got some pretty weird behavior. The files were named 03_001, 03_002, etc. with the credits named as such. The credits were interspersed with the regular pages. Just a FYI. I'll be going back to Mangle to get my double pages automatically rotated. Such is life, huh? Still, great feature to add.

Since CBZ/CBR support is uncompressing them on the Kindle, I might as well just do that on my PC--I'm not saving any space. Does that feature take up much space on the kindle? If so, maybe offer a Lite version? Just an
idea--no need to have 2 versions if that's too difficult/unwieldy.

so much for this. I get to use my touch for the reason I upgraded from my Sony Reader Pocket. Larger screen for manga!

This time, I can't understand much...

Folders delete script removes scheduled folders...I think that, once a folder is removed, than you don't need the related bookmark (if present), so the script removes also the bookmark.

Rename script gets a list of folders in /documents/Gallery containing jpg, png, JPG, PNG.
Than it gets, for every folder in that list, a list of files and it sorts the list based on the original filename.
If the first file of this new list has 0 as filename, it skips that folder.

I tried with a list of files named 03_001 to 03_200 and it worked.
I can't understand this part: "with the credits named as such. The credits were interspersed with the regular pages".
It would be helpful if you could send me a sample!

As regards decompression, all the feature takes 170KB.
I know it's a slow process...mounting the archive would be faster but I'm working on it.
Anyway, I can't understand how this feature could save space.
The minimum space required would be the size of the archive (if mounting it. As I'm decompressing it, the space taken is a little bit more).
I can't get to use fewer space than the size of the archive!

I added mainly because someone asked for it, and because copying CBR/CBZ to the Kindle is easier than decompressing them before copying folders.

If I misunderstood anything, please let me know!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
pookakitten
Connoisseur

It did the 03_001, 03_002, etc fine. The credits were "credits1" "credits2" etc. I try and keep the scanlation group's credits pages. Instead of being at the end of the directory, the credit pages were irregularly inserted at the beginning

See attached picture for 1 chapter of a typical manga scanlation. I also included a zip file with the first 2 chapters from the title I saw doing this. It's annoying, to say the least.

I didn't realize the resources to unzip were so small! I'd think they'd be in the megabyte range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	88138  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shikabane Hime 03.zip (13.07 MB, 602 views)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
DRIVER733
DRIVER733 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.0.4
Hi silver18! Thank you very much for your hard work! I am really enjoying you app!
Could you please help me with these two files? Komic just creates empty folder after decompressing these archives. Thanks in advance.
http://db.tt/Bcq9t8Gw
http://db.tt/RyoYrjTV
DRIVER733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER733 View Post
Hi silver18! Thank you very much for your hard work! I am really enjoying you app!
Could you please help me with these two files? Komic just creates empty folder after decompressing these archives. Thanks in advance.
http://db.tt/Bcq9t8Gw
http://db.tt/RyoYrjTV
The first one is mis-named, I did not check the second one.
If using Windows, change your preferences to display file extensions.
That first name ends in: .cbz.zip
But it isn't a zip of a zip (cbz) file - just rename it without the '.zip'.

Look for a similar (Windows display) problem with the second.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookakitten View Post
It did the 03_001, 03_002, etc fine. The credits were "credits1" "credits2" etc. I try and keep the scanlation group's credits pages. Instead of being at the end of the directory, the credit pages were irregularly inserted at the beginning

See attached picture for 1 chapter of a typical manga scanlation. I also included a zip file with the first 2 chapters from the title I saw doing this. It's annoying, to say the least.

I didn't realize the resources to unzip were so small! I'd think they'd be in the megabyte range.
I understood the problem: I wrote the code thinking about a folder containing files with only one name pattern (03_XXX) and not two (03_XXX and CreditsXX).

I'm working on it!!

@DRIVER733: both files are mis-named as knc1 stated above!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I understood the problem: I wrote the code thinking about a folder containing files with only one name pattern (03_XXX) and not two (03_XXX and CreditsXX).

I'm working on it!!

@DRIVER733: both files are mis-named as knc1 stated above!
The mis-named files above show another pattern where the page number is inserted after the volume number.
T == Title
V == Volume
P == Page
X == ?
E == Extension
Under-bar replacing spaces.

File name: TT_TT_VVV_XXX.cbz
Created directory name: TT_TT_VVV_XXX
Cover name: TT_TTVVV_PP_XXX.jpg
Page names: TT_TTVVV_PP_XXX.png

So they do sort into page order before adding a leading page number. Adding a leading page number should not changing their sorted order.

But you will have to sort them in your code (I admit, I didn't read your code to see if you are already doing that).

You can't depend on the contents of the zip (cbz) or rar (cbr) to be in sorted order, the most common order will be "source directory order". Which may or may not be sorted.

The unarchive process maintains the order of contents -> ctime order.
FAT-32 does not have enough resolution in the time fields for this relationship to be useful.

Programming languages "normally" return directory contents in directory order. Where "directory order" depends on the (in *nix) hashed value of the name.

When looking at the directory contents from the command line:

The *nix list (ls) command normally returns the names in sorted order. You have to pass the "-f" option to see the directory (hash) order.
And if the list (ls) command on the Kindle is provided by Busybox, it may or may not be listing files in sorted order, it may or may not have an "-f" option.

Translation: The order of the files returned by "ls" may not be the order your program sees them - you will have to sort them.

- - -

The Title field is "mixed" (bumpy) case and being written to a FAT-32 volume on Linux.
So check the mount options of that USB storage area -
The mount command without arguments shows what options current file systems have been mounted with:
(non-Kindle, but a FAT-32 volume on Linux as an example)
Code:
/dev/sde1 on /media/A80E-9247 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)
Your looking for what Amazon/lab126 decided to use for the "shortname" and "character set" options.

The result of their choice of options may also have to be dealt with even though these are "long names".

Edit:
The names are bumpy case, the XXX is not. So a token of some kind?
RHN == Right Hand Number == trailing volume number, trailing page number?
I.E: Process string right to left, first character sequence describes where the page numbers are at in the string?

With that information, then you know how to compute the file name of a page number. No sorting and renaming with a leading sequence number required.

Duh... Just guessing. First digital comic book I have ever looked at - mine where on paper.

Last edited by knc1; 06-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Tags
launcher add-ons