Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Tribbey
Tribbey began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Abbyy Finereader 11 Pro - Save PDF as MOBI

Hello, I have Abbyy Finereader and I have imported a 278 pg PDF with bookmarks and table of contents. I have been trying to figure out how to save as MOBI so I can load on my Android Tablet w/ Kindle app.

I have saved the PDF as EPUB in Abbyy than opened in Calibre and exported as MOBI, but formatting is sloppy and headers/footers are missing in Kindle app.

Is there a method of importing a PDF with TOC and bookmarks ect.. into Abbyy than export directly to MOBI with format, headers and footers intact? I've found that Calibre is a great ebook manager, but a terrible encoder. Abbyy Finereader seems to have better encoding capabilities than Calibre and Writer2ePub.

Thanks in advance
Tribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Is there a method of importing a PDF with TOC and bookmarks ect.. into Abbyy than export directly to MOBI with format, headers and footers intact? I've found that Calibre is a great ebook manager, but a terrible encoder. Abbyy Finereader seems to have better encoding capabilities than Calibre and Writer2ePub.
The problem is the PDF format, not calibre or Writer2ePub. PDF should be considered a final destination for a document. Any method of converting PDF to MOBI/ePub etc, is going to involve a lot of manual cleanup of the formatting. Nature of the beast. You'd be better off sizing/cropping the PDF for your tablet's screen size and reading it that way. This type of conversion will always be problematic.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Not necessarily. If it was saved as a tagged PDF (which can also reflow, btw - just like ePub or Mobi), you could extract the content as XML with, say, Adobe Acrobat (perhaps Reader too? idk) and work your way up from there. But yeah, it will require some manual touch-up. If you save it as plain txt you'll lose formatting.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of PDF files are not tagged PDF's. They have individual coordinates for individual letters or groups of letters, which make them very difficult to convert. They're like objects on a blank piece of paper and the programs have to interpret and approximate, which impacts quality and accuracy. You can easily spot them by simply selecting the text (Ctrl+A). If it's all segmented, then it's not a tagged PDF.

This subject has been beaten to death around here, I'm not going to go any further. Search the forums.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Tribbey
Tribbey began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Thx for the replies, I've seen similar threads here but none reference Abbyy Finereader. Sort of what DSpider suggested..

If anyone 's interested, I loaded the PDF (original source) in Abbyy Finereader which is an amazing recognition software btw, exported an editable scanned copy to Microsoft Word, then edited (deleted white spaces and some minor formatting), then from Word I just saved as an HTML document and ran it through Calibre with MOBI settings and threw it in my Kindle folder on my SD.

Results were pretty good, major improvement from converting PDF strait to MOBI. I wish this were possible without the runaround but I guess it really depends on how the original source document is formatted and whatnot.
Tribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
mrut
mrut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-G Keyboard
Thank you for sharing this information. I am new to making e-books out of scanned material and am going through the same process. I am working with my first scanned pdf on ABBYY Finereader, cleaning it up in Finereader still (it's an old book with lots of italics--nighmare!), and wondering what to save it as so that I can convert it to mobi for my Kindle. I guess you edited in Word, whereas I'm editing in Finereader. (I "trained" Finereader to read the characters better, and am still going through the text, editing all the misread fonts through the styles editor.) I think I have to delete the headers and footers, from what I've read in various threads of this forum, then save it as HTML. But Finereader doesn't save as HTML, I don't think! Do I have to export my edited copy to Word, then save as HTML? That's not a big deal, but I was wondering. Thank you for your post.
mrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
abbyy, calibre, mobi conversion