Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #46
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
17- Change font size in article mode
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
Quote:
- single tap on shift key to get the next letter upper case , double tap for caps lock Android style
This is already the case.

My personal wishlist:

Remove the full refreshes, when only 10% of the display has changed
(Closing the Menu inside a Book or when closing a Dialog after selecting some Text)

The "Change Time"-Buttons are to small.

Remove the "Swipe Left/Right"-Gestures and replace them by instant-"Text Selection"-Mode

The grey background behind marked Text should show the start and the end of the marked Text (Rounded Edges for the Background - for example)
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #48
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
18. Alarm clock using crontab

This is a very very very plain alarm clock for K5, and any *nix-based device in general. It just adds an entry to crontab. That's it. Until someone has time to do something like geekmaster mentioned in this post, we can use this. I simply don't have time right now.
[Credits go to eureka for this post.

Alright, you can do it in two ways:
A: Use Kindle's builtin media player (benefit: reusing what's already in Kindle! drawback: rings just 10 times which you can change in alarm.sh file)
B. Use mplayer (benefit: rings until you tell it to stop via GUI Launcher. drawback: installing a piece of software you might never use!)

No matter which way you want your alarm clock, go ahead and extract alarmMP3.zip in /mnt/us/

For A:
1. Append the following line to your /etc/crontab/root
Code:
00    05        1-31    1-12        0-6     /mnt/us/opt/alarm.sh
2. Extract alarmScript.zip in /mnt/us/
3. Reboot or even better...
Spoiler:
issue killall crond in SSH

For B:
1. Get MPlayer and put in the directory /mnt/us/opt/
2. Append the following line to your /etc/crontab/root
Code:
00    05        1-31    1-12        0-6     /mnt/us/opt/mplayer/mplayer -loop 0 -volume 200 /mnt/us/music/alarm.mp3
3. Extract alarmclock.zip into /mnt/us/
4. Reboot or even better...
Spoiler:
issue killall crond and then restart framework in SSH

Spoiler:
This is syntax of crontab entries (from http://www.adminschoice.com/crontab-quick-reference):
* * * * * command to be executed
- - - - -
| | | | |
| | | | +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
| | | +------- month (1 - 12)
| | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
| +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)
Attached Files
File Type: zip alarmMP3.zip (14.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: zip alarmclock.zip (797 Bytes, 210 views)
File Type: zip alarmScript.zip (342 Bytes, 214 views)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #49
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
This is a very very very plain alarm clock for KT. It just adds an entry to crontab. That's it. Until someone has time to do something like geekmaster mentioned in this post, we can use this. I simply don't have time right now.
[Credits go to eureka for this post.

Alright, you can do it in two ways:
A: Use Kindle's builtin media player (benefit: reusing what's already in Kindle! drawback: rings just 10 times which you can change in alarm.sh file)
B. Use mplayer (benefit: rings until you tell it to stop via GUI Launcher. drawback: installing a piece of software you might never use!)

No matter which way you want your alarm clock, go ahead and extract alarmMP3.zip in /mnt/us/

For A:
1. Append the following line to your /etc/crontab/root
Code:
00    05        1-31    1-12        0-6     /mnt/us/opt/alarm.sh
2. Extract alarmScript.zip in /mnt/us/
3. Reboot or even better...
Spoiler:
issue killall crond in SSH

For B:
1. Get MPlayer and put in the directory /mnt/us/opt/
2. Append the following line to your /etc/crontab/root
Code:
00    05        1-31    1-12        0-6     /mnt/us/opt/mplayer/mplayer -loop 0 -volume 200 /mnt/us/music/alarm.mp3
3. Extract alarmclock.zip into /mnt/us/
4. Reboot or even better...
Spoiler:
issue killall crond and then restart framework in SSH

Spoiler:
This is syntax of crontab entries (from http://www.adminschoice.com/crontab-quick-reference):
* * * * * command to be executed
- - - - -
| | | | |
| | | | +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
| | | +------- month (1 - 12)
| | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
| +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)
This is gobbledegook for me.
I have Kindle KB, will this work for my kindle and can someone tell me how to do it please?
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
I have Kindle KB, will this work for my kindle and can someone tell me how to do it please?
The K3 has cron, and the other things listed here, so it should work too (but you may need to adapt something to fit the different environment).

So, the obvious question is, WHEN you tried following the steps posted above, WHICH step gave you problems?

Posts in the Developer's Corner often have minimal assumptions that you have at least enough technical knowledge to actually do these things. In this case, cscat gave you simple step-by-step instructions. If you cannot understand it, you have some learning to do then.

Perhaps this will help you understand posts in this forum a bit better: http://whathaveyoutried.com

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #51
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
This is a very very very plain alarm clock for KT. It just adds an entry to crontab. That's it.
Thanks. I love "keeping it simple".

(You have 10000 karma now. )
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #52
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You need to learn how to ssh into Kindle

first jailbreak, then install usbnetwork hack. then learn how to reach and edit system files via ssh.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #53
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
You need to learn how to ssh into Kindle

first jailbreak, then install usbnetwork hack. then learn how to reach and edit system files via ssh.
It may well help to give a suggested lesson plan as you did, but the post seemed to indicate that no significant learning was attempted before making that post, in which case breaking the learning sequence into a series of steps may also go unheeded.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #54
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It may well help to give a suggested lesson plan as you did, but the post seemed to indicate that no significant learning was attempted before making that post, in which case breaking the learning sequence into a series of steps may also go unheeded.
I'm in a good mood.
Just looked at the thread and the links and didn't see enough info which could lead to usbnetwork hack. ( for a newcomer ), well just in spoilers there is the word: "ssh" but they are optional steps.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #55
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I'm in a good mood.
Just looked at the thread and the links and didn't see enough info which could lead to usbnetwork hack. ( for a newcomer ), well just in spoilers there is the word: "ssh" but they are optional steps.
Yeah, a lot of things developed to their final form scattered over many posts in one or more threads. The first post does not always get updated to be the most current. It would help a lot if some of these threads were consolidated and simplified into a "How To" guide, like silver18 did for my simple debricking thread(s).

The indexes and thread prefixes are a good first step toward organizing the massive pile of useful information buried in this forum. But we need more summaries like silver18 did.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #56
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It may well help to give a suggested lesson plan as you did, but the post seemed to indicate that no significant learning was attempted before making that post, in which case breaking the learning sequence into a series of steps may also go unheeded. At least that is what the "gobbledygook" thing says to me based on my experiences teaching computer programming in a junior college (back in the BASIC/Assembler/FORTRAN/COBOL days).
Sorry, no offence, but what an arrogant reply. The significant learning was to ask if anyone could break it down for me. Thomas did just that, and I've realised that I don't have the skills, and to learn the skills necessary there would be a disproportionate learning curve compared to the value of the result.
At least Thomas replied and helped, perhaps if you step off your podium form which you view all other earthly and unworthy creatures, you could have too?
No matter now, I appreciate any help and I wish you all peace and love.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #57
geekmaster

Quote:
Sorry, no offence, but what an arrogant reply. The significant learning was to ask if anyone could break it down for me. Thomas did just that, and I've realised that I don't have the skills, and to learn the skills necessary there would be a disproportionate learning curve compared to the value of the result.
At least Thomas replied and helped, perhaps if you step off your podium form which you view all other earthly and unworthy creatures, you could have too?
No matter now, I appreciate any help and I wish you all peace and love.
Umm... cscat's post that you called "gobbledygook" already laid it out step by step, and gave a lot of specific details. If you did not understand it, you lack basic linux knowledge that is required for kindle hacking.

In some neighborhoods, calling somebody's (excellent) work "gobbledygook" (i.e. worthless crap) could be considered "fighting words". My reply to thomass was also not meant to offend, but calling my reply "arrogant" clearly is offensive, which invalidates your "no offence" claim stated earlier.

The point is, if you do not understand linux stuff as posted by cscat, do not label that post publicly with derogatory words. Instead, go learn what you need to know to understand linux basics, or you will have trouble with many other posts here too. Hopefully, you can refrain from derogatory insults for other posts that you do not understand. Saying "no offense" does not really lessen offense made later in your post.

If you read my later post in reply to thomass, you can see that I agreed with him that we need more summaries of existing content here, like silver18's "simple debricking" guide summarized from my "simple debricking" thread.

Hopefully when you get it figured out, you will write and contribute a summary guide so that others will not get confused like you did.

I am sorry if you took offense from me where none was intended, but the answers you seek have already been provided MANY times. In the case of your lack of basic linux knowlege, Google can be your friend. There is a VAST wealth of information on the web showing how to use linux, and some of it is even indexed in the index wikis. Check them out if you get some time.

The rapid growth of this forum tends to bury valuable posts rather quickly, which is why I started the Master Index sticky thread and the topical index wikis that go with it. I and a few others also organized the forum prefixes that match those indexes. And kudos to dreams (who implemented the forum prefixes). Hopefully this should make us "helpers" less weary of posting the same old answers again and again and again and again and again and ... And hopefully it will make it easier for newbies like yourself to get acquainted with our content here in a less confusing way.

SUMMARY: Google and the "Dev Corner Master Index" are your friends here. A "slap in the face" is not an effective way to ASK for help. I think that you owe both cscat and myself an apology MUCH more than we OWE you ANYTHING. You are getting FREE advice here afterall, and we get nothing from providing free help other than feelings of good will and personal satisfaction, and your rude comments to both of us detract greatly from that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-15-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JollyRoger: I side with geekmaster... To be honest, when I first read your post, as English is my second language (well 4th language), I had to check the meaning of gobbledygook (and btw as gm pointed out you had a typo right there: gobbledegook), and I found it a bit arrogant, but as I normally don't reply for such things, I just ignored it... Now that you reply as such, I had to express this... geekmaster, as his name suggests, is one of the most valued members in the MR community (+ in computer society in general) if not the most influential one and has everyone's respect, (as he has well-gained our respect)... So it seems you've got some learning to do, most important of which are not even Linux-related!!! Nevertheless, MR is a perfect community of positive energy and achievement and therefore, I wish you best, my friend!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 07-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #59
geekmaster

Quote:
...I've realised that I don't have the skills, and to learn the skills necessary there would be a disproportionate learning curve compared to the value of the result.
In other words, it appears that you are trying to say (using American lower-class colloquialisms):
"I don't wanna learn nothin', so just quit yappin' and do what I want!".

Sorry, but we only work "on demand" in exchange for payment for our services. If you ask NICELY after having "done your homework", we may choose to give you guidance, but it is rare that we will take time out from our busy and productive schedules to do your work for you, for free, when you are disrespectful. We may do it once in a while anyway, when we are "in a good mood" (as thomass said in his post). But the best programmers often have some degree of OCD, and are NOT always "in a good mood", but we try to be helpful anyway in most cases (at least pointing you to some resources to guide your personal study so you can answer your own questions). But you already said that learning this stuff is not worth your effort, so meh...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-13-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #60
thatworkshop
hub

19. Kindle as External Monitor:

<This is just an idea for future>

To transfer VGA data over Mini-USB cable to Kindle Touch. This should not be confused with eMonitor.

Two components:
1. a software driver that will format and compress the video data and send it to a USB port
2. decode the video data on the USB cable and display it on KT

Needed:
VGA to USB converter

</This is a placeholder>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vga2usb.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	89114  

Last edited by thatworkshop; 07-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.