Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Connecting to Android device

Kind of new to the Sony Readers but I've used a Kindle for more than a year.
I can't find a Sony eReader application for my andrid based AUS eeePad Transformer. I guess Sony is in the game to sell devices not books like Amazon. If I connect the Sony eReaders to my Transformer I only get the charging screen.
Is there some method for purchasing books on a Transformer and then move them to the Sony device?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
There's a Reader for Android app. Is that what you mean? Which Sony reader do you have?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony has both an Android phone app and a tablet app. I was using the Android phone app and found the features rather limited although I was able to purchase books just fine. I found it better to use alternative reading apps that were capable of recognizing DRM'ed books instead like Aldiko.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A further thought - I suppose you could purchase a book via the Reader Android app and then use a File Manager app to upload the book to a dropbox account and then download from dropbox to your T1.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
There's a Reader for Android app. Is that what you mean? Which Sony reader do you have?
I haev the Android app (phone version, couldn't find tablet version) but that is not what I want, I want to connect with a USB cable and move content freely between the devices (on one hand a PRS-350 or PRS-T1 and on the other an ASUS Transformer). I thought I should be able to do it over WiFi with the PRS-T1 and USB with the PRS-350. But they don't show up as a USB disk (or mass storage device) on my Transformer when I connect them. Hence, my vexation.
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just purchase books and download through the web-browser on the T1.

My post #4 suggests a method how to move a file via Wi-fi from your T1 to your Transformer. I suggest that you get an account with Dropbox and install the Dropbox app (or find a similar service). Then install a file manager app like ES File Explorer. Find the folder where your purchased books are stored. Then send the book to Dropbox. On my tablet it's a long-press on the file-name and then in the Operations menu that appears is an option "send" which brings up another menu where you can select "Dropbox". Then I log into the my dropbox.com account via the T1 web browser and download the book to my T1. This methods works for me to transfer files between my Kindle Fire and T1.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ahh, the assumptions of unitarianism. In my case the reason I can't do that is that my PRS-T1 is the Japanese model, it is tied into Sony's Japanese book store so it doesn't have any Shopping option that connects it to the US store. The other reason is that I also have two PRS-350 and they do not have any WiFi connectivity. I am used to having to overcome geo-restrictions when I buy books, and I have learned a lot of tricks (thanks to all MR contributors) however, this time I'm schtumped by one of the world's most international corporation's myopia. I have downloaded the Sony Reader Android Phone app (the tablet app has geo-restrictions) so through that app I can purchase books, but they look kind of funny on a tablet running a phone app. Hence, I want them on my readers.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I realized you were in Sweden and assumed you had overcome the geo-restrictions, but I didn't realize that your readers came from Japan! But, now I remember some of your posts. I think you might be the person that had your first Sony ereader get damaged on your flight home from Japan a few months ago?

Do you not have a desktop or laptop option to install the Sony Reader for PC software on and then transfer via USB to your 350? Is the Transformer your only option?

I have an idea. What if you transfer the book to your T1 wirelessly? Then download it not to the internal memory on your T1 but to the SD card? Then you can swap the card from your T1 to your 350?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

That is correct, I had my first PRS-350 broken upon returning home. I have now exchanged that one for two PRS-350 and one PRS-T1, Mythinking is that I will use the PRS-350 for reading by my grad students, that way we can make sure we are on the same text with the same content.

Right now I am still in Japan so I am constricted by availabe devices and that is my Transformer. I used Dropbox today for a test run, but I was schtumped by DMR. The book was available (epub file only) but I couldn't open it on the T1. I believe the reason is that I haven't been able to register it on the Sony Book site. So far I have been very accepting of DMR because I see the value for publishers in restricting piracy, but all I wan't is to move a legally purchases e-Book from one device to another and it is getting exceedingly frustrating to be hindered by geopolitical myopia.

I have to admitt that I'm not savy enough to know how I can move a book over WiFi to the T1. When I open ES File Explorer nd choose the LAN option I can't see the T1. I have a feeling it is only connected to WiFi when I run the Store application. When I do that the ES File Explorer doesn't seem to communicate with the T1.

As for a micro SD card, I have those but the PRS-350 doesn't have any slot for it.

Sorry if I sound snippy, I don't mean to, but I'm very very frustrated (read; Mad as hell)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
So far I have been very accepting of DMR because I see the value for publishers in restricting piracy, but all I wan't is to move a legally purchases e-Book from one device to another and it is getting exceedingly frustrating to be hindered by geopolitical myopia.

I have to admitt that I'm not savy enough to know how I can move a book over WiFi to the T1. When I open ES File Explorer nd choose the LAN option I can't see the T1. I have a feeling it is only connected to WiFi when I run the Store application. When I do that the ES File Explorer doesn't seem to communicate with the T1.

As for a micro SD card, I have those but the PRS-350 doesn't have any slot for it.

Sorry if I sound snippy, I don't mean to, but I'm very very frustrated (read; Mad as hell)
welcome in the real world of DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).

Is there any chance, that you also have a laptop/notebook/netbook at hand (preferably running win or mac)? If so, I highly recommend getting calibre and google "Apprentice Alf" for the dustbusters, that will take care of DRM for good. As soon as you know your workflow, freeing your books of DRM is a matter of mere seconds.
Once this is done, you can move your books - which you dutifully paid for - to any device of your choice. Calibre also comes with a content server, which enables you to download your books through wifi from calibre. works like a cham with the T1.

Ever since I switched to this, my ereading life has become wonderfully carefree. I buy my books from many different shops in different formats. All it takes me is a few extra mouseclicks and I have full, unrestricted ownership of the content I paid for.
It will maybe take you an hour or so to learn the ropes of this, but regarding all the time you already wasted, trying to cope with DRM, your time-investment will pay off very quickly.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Once I get back home I intend to master the idiosynchracies of removing DMR but right now I am, as previosuly stated, locked into Android devices.

(Hey Kovad, any chance of porting Calibre to Android?)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Oops! I forgot that. I can understand that it's frustrating to be traveling and away from your usual equipment.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Once I get back home I intend to master the idiosynchracies of removing DMR but right now I am, as previosuly stated, locked into Android devices.

(Hey Kovad, any chance of porting Calibre to Android?)
As to your porting to Android question, the answer is no.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Finalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As to your porting to Android question, the answer is no.
From that I gather that this has already been discussed. Too bad, not that I had any hopes.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Dropbox sounds like the only real solution. There is an android Dropbox app. Once you load the books you want there, then you can load them on your Transformer tablet (via the Dropbox app). You can get them for the T1 by connecting to dropbox via the website (using the browser on the T1). The 350 is the most problematic since there isn't an sd slot. So I'm guessing connecting the 350 to the Transformer doesn't make it turn up like an external drive? There might been an android app out there that will use a more extensive file manager system but you might have to be rooted to use it for it to recognize the 350 as an external drive.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote