Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Two Weeks Now of Kindle Touch and I've Learned Something

I really, really love that Kindle Keyboard.

I tried it out. My objections pretty much what I thought they would be. I just don't much like reading with touch screen devices. I accidentally turn pages. I accidentally skip to the next chapter. I want a page turn button to rest my finger on. I try to adjust the font and I end up highlighting words and looking them up in the dictionary instead. Mostly, I'm hopeless.

It just hit me today that I should just get another of the keyboard device that I loved, while I can still buy one, rather than continue to make myself like this one. Because I'm pretty sure that in the next couple of years, touchscreens will probably be all that is available. Plus, I already own a Kindle Keyboard lighted cover that is just sitting here empty and unloved. New Kindle Keyboard will be here tomorrow.

And I'll be able to put the pictures of my kids back on with the screensaver hacks and I'll be able to use the Calibre Collection Plug-in again.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I tried it out. My objections pretty much what I thought they would be. I just don't much like reading with touch screen devices. I accidentally turn pages. I accidentally skip to the next chapter. I want a page turn button to rest my finger on. I try to adjust the font and I end up highlighting words and looking them up in the dictionary instead. Mostly, I'm hopeless.
I know this this would happen to me too. It's why I'm not willing to go there—even for a trial run. Buttons don't have to decide what I want from them; they just know. Buttons don't ask to be tickled, tapped, swiped, rubbed, or pinched. Just press them and off they go to perform their duty—with clear eyes and open hearts.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I agree 100%. I can't stand touch screens. I need to feel the buttons under my fingers. Everytime I've used a touch screen it's taken me at least 3 tries to get what I want typed out, and I have fairly small fingers. I wouldn't give up my keyboard for anything.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know this this would happen to me too. It's why I'm not willing to go there—even for a trial run. Buttons don't have to decide what I want from them; they just know. Buttons don't ask to be tickled, tapped, swiped, rubbed, or pinched. Just press them and off they go to perform their duty—with clear eyes and open hearts.
You forgot, "Fondling".
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
I also prefer actual button for page turning. But in general I think a touch interface(even for eInk devices) is the future, it's just a more natural and intuitive way to interact with the contents and most of the options.

I think Kindle touch's design execution has not been perfected yet but a nice V1 device. At the least they should've included some hardware buttons for page turning as an alternative, and maybe a simple/handy way to lock the screen without having to put it into sleep mode.

Last edited by shinew; 12-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I agree 100%. I can't stand touch screens. I need to feel the buttons under my fingers. Everytime I've used a touch screen it's taken me at least 3 tries to get what I want typed out, and I have fairly small fingers. I wouldn't give up my keyboard for anything.
not familiar with Kobo(assume that's what you have). But I find the the Kindle Touch's keyboard to be excellent. Both accurate and responsive. So that might not be a touchscreen issue.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I love the kindle touch. It has worked perfect for me. Sorry about your experience. .
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am really liking my KT, would never go back. But I had already logged hundreds of hours on other touch screen devices.

Using a touch interface is a skill, it just takes a little time to reach a comfort level and adjust to the interface in question. And by the same token, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally hit the Back button on my K3 when trying to operate the 5way, before finally getting the feel of it. It did not help that I'd been using my K2 for well over a year before that. Just sayin'.

I would also argue that KT is more intuitive, immersive, and more 'like reading a real book,' at least what I find.

BTW check out the Colbert review of the new Steve Jobs book. Very funny.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If it weren't for the Touch, I wouldn't own a Kindle. I'm glad they got with the program. I sold my Kindle 1 after a few months of owning it, because there was no way to organize content. Went to Sony and have been hooked on eInk touch screens ever since. It's the main reason I passed on the DXG at the $259 sale price a few days ago. If it were touch, I could have overlooked the other shortcomings for sure. I'd be willing to pay the normal price for a touch DX.

Last edited by SCION; 12-01-2011 at 04:09 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am loving the Kindle Touch and and happy to have it over the KK. Before that, I had a K4 and would prefer that over the KK too.

I thought I would prefer the physical page turn buttons but i am really liking the touch to turn and swipe to move pages on the home screen.
Also loving the new lighted cover.

Very happy with my upgrade but I realize it isn't for everyone. I am glad that Amazon thought to keep the Kindle Keyboard going
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If it weren't for the Touch, I wouldn't own a Kindle. I'm glad they got with the program. I sold my Kindle 1 after a few months of owning it, because there was no way to organize content. Went to Sony and have been hooked on eInk touch screens ever since. It's the main reason I passed on the DXG at the $259 sale price a few days ago. If it were touch, I could have overlooked the other shortcomings for sure. I'd be willing to pay the normal price for a touch DX.
I agree with you for the most part. I would own the Nook STR if the KT had not come out (probably running the amazon app ) I do think that Amazon has some work to do on the KT, interface wise, as well as option wise. Hopefully firmware will take care of this. Overall I think the STR is a nicer ereader, with more functionality, better hackability and much better pdf support Being built on android certainly has its benefits.

The KT on the otherhand is rather bland, with the exception of xray. The amazon ecosystem with whispersync has me locked in, however and at the end of the day, the KT is a very efficient mobi ereader and i am happy I sold my KK and upgraded to the KT.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I agree with you for the most part. I would own the Nook STR if the KT had not come out (probably running the amazon app ) I do think that Amazon has some work to do on the KT, interface wise, as well as option wise. Overall I think the STR is a nicer ereader, with more functionality, better hackability and much better pdf support Being built on android certainly has its benefits.

The KT on the otherhand is rather bland, with the exception of xray. The amazon ecosystem with whispersync has me locked in, however and at the end of the day, the KT is a very efficient mobi ereader and i am happy I sold my KK and upgraded to the KT.
I did the NOOK STR thing for a few months. Left it for Kobo. The homescreen is a dud (for me) and I really don't find the squat shape comfortable to hold. The recess in the back doesn't do anything for me. But, I overcame that with a cover, so that's not why I bailed. I'm not into hacking eInk devices, so that didn't entice me to stay with it. The biggie for me is being able to sync sideloaded books across the Kindle and Kindle Fire, as I enjoy reading on tablets with a quality screen.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Two Weeks Now of Kindle Touch and I've Learned Something

I went to Target yesterday and tried out the demo model. I hate demo software and had found out here on mobileread that using the back button gets you out of the demo software. I had no trouble doing that......then....the trouble started. I wished to try out the on-screen touch keyboard, but could not get it to display the keyboard no matter what I tried. So finally just I gave up trying! I figured out easily enough how to get it back into demo mode and then left. Sheeesh!!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
what about leaving fingerprints all over the screen that you are reading from? When I hold my Kindle3, my fingers rest on the page turn buttons. On a KT, do I have to stop reading and poke the screen to get the page to turn? I have an Ipod, and I can't imagine trying to read on it. Call me old fashioned, but I will stick with the keyboard.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
What about the Kindle 4 NT? It has the buttons, has the benefit of being smaller than the KK, has a better build quality (KK flexed and felt less solid) - and is cheaper!
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote