Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
misspout
misspout began at the beginning.

Device: none
K4 or KT for kids?

Hi,

I'm after some opinions on which kindle to buy for kids age 7 & 9. My requirements are ease of use in regards to the dictionary and an ability to zoom images within books. Can someone offer some opinions, thanks.

PS, KT is currently unavailable in Australia, so I can't compare them myself. (I have relatives in US who can purchase for me.)
misspout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hmmmm, eink readers are not good for color books or books with images. Zooming features are kind of rudimentary and basic.

If it was me, I would buy any of the less expensive 7 inch Android tablets. They provide zooming capabilities and color plus are less boring to use for any kid under 10. However, at that age, a regular paper book would be a richer experience in my opinion.

But yeah, go for a tablet, a Galaxy Tab or Kindle Fire. Or similar Android device.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
misspout
misspout began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your input.
misspout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspout View Post
Thanks for your input.
You welcome, but don't take a decision yet. Even for tablets there are a lot of options out there. I'm sure other users will soon reply giving you more tablet options and prices, from people who have actually use them of even have kids :-)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I got a couple of Kobo Voxs for my girls (aged 7). They are for Christmas, so they haven't got them yet. I've been playing with *ahem* setting them up for them. They are Android tablets, so any Android reader app can be used. They do NOT have access to Google's offical Android Market, though other markets can be used. I plan to keep them off the web (not giving them the WiFi password and/or installing an app protector). So far, they seem like nice little tablets.

Others you may want to consider are:

Ipod/Ipad - refurbished ones are fairly cheap
Acer Iconia A100 (7") or A500 (10")
Samsung Galaxy Tab and Players
Toshiba Thrive 10" (7" is comming soon"

The Android tablets and Ipods are more robust than the e-ink readers. They are colour. They are not locked into any bookstore (don't know how handy you are at converting), and you can install educational apps.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert