Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
TomTeaPack
Tom
TomTeaPack began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo with small image on all screens.

I uploaded a book called Alien Cradle by Jeff Inlo to my Kobo with Calibre. After I began to read the book, a small image appeared in the lower left hand corner. It appears to be several buildings and it is small, does not really cover any text other than the info blurb on the very bottom. I have removed the book, done a reset with the hole in the back and the image stays on every screen, even the sleep and off screens. Anyone got any ideas?
TomTeaPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It sounds like a problem with the unit that is unrelated to the book itself. Possibly a damaged screen.

You probably want to get in touch with Kobo themselves and start the procedure to get the unit replaced.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
TomTeaPack
Tom

I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It sounds like a problem with the unit that is unrelated to the book itself. Possibly a damaged screen.

You probably want to get in touch with Kobo themselves and start the procedure to get the unit replaced.
I have notified Kobo, but it takes days for an answer.
This is an image of several buildings, not any damage to the screen.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
blastyrant
blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO WIFI
try opening the book using the viewing software in calibre. perhaps those images were on the pages and should be there?
blastyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTeaPack View Post
I uploaded a book called Alien Cradle by Jeff Inlo to my Kobo with Calibre. After I began to read the book, a small image appeared in the lower left hand corner. It appears to be several buildings and it is small, does not really cover any text other than the info blurb on the very bottom. I have removed the book, done a reset with the hole in the back and the image stays on every screen, even the sleep and off screens. Anyone got any ideas?
I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having. Please know that this is the first time I've ever heard of any such image appearing. The book has been downloaded many thousands of times off my site without any difficulties. The only image used when creating the book was the cover image and there are no buildings in that picture.

May I ask where you downloaded the book? The url for my site is http://www.sitelane.com/ebooks/aliencradlejinlo

Jeff Inlo
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't sound as if it has anything to do with the book. Can you post a picture so we can see what it looks like?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
TomTeaPack
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having. Please know that this is the first time I've ever heard of any such image appearing. The book has been downloaded many thousands of times off my site without any difficulties. The only image used when creating the book was the cover image and there are no buildings in that picture.

May I ask where you downloaded the book? The url for my site is http://www.sitelane.com/ebooks/aliencradlejinlo

Jeff Inlo
Jeff--I downloaded Alien and the 3 Delver books from your site.

I am quite sure that your book had nothing to do with the problem. I did upload several other books at the same time. I just mentioned your book because it was the one that I was reading when the image appeared. I have searched the files for your book and the only image I can see in them is the cover image.
(By the way, I loved the delver books, great characters and the concept of the delver was one of the most original ideas I have seen in fantasy for dozens of years. Alien Cradle not so much, the idea was good, but the writing did not seem as professional. Was it your first book or at least earlier than the Delver tales?) If you write anymore, let me know, I would love to see more of Delvers. You need to sell them instead of giving them away, they are great. Oh, can you bring the Fenrites back? They have great potential, and I love upbeat books more than downbeat ones.

I have now done a complete reset, deleting everything, and the image is still there.

I am beginning to believe that the problem is something with the e-reader, but what it is, I have no idea.

Last edited by TomTeaPack; 08-26-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTeaPack View Post
Jeff--I downloaded Alien and the 3 Delver books from your site.

I am quite sure that your book had nothing to do with the problem. I did upload several other books at the same time. I just mentioned your book because it was the one that I was reading when the image appeared. I have searched the files for your book and the only image I can see in them is the cover image.
(By the way, I loved the delver books, great characters and the concept of the delver was one of the most original ideas I have seen in fantasy for dozens of years. Alien Cradle not so much, the idea was good, but the writing did not seem as professional. Was it your first book or at least earlier than the Delver tales?) If you write anymore, let me know, I would love to see more of Delvers. You need to sell them instead of giving them away, they are great. Oh, can you bring the Fenrites back? They have great potential, and I love upbeat books more than downbeat ones.

I have now done a complete reset, deleting everything, and the image is still there.

I am beginning to believe that the problem is something with the e-reader, but what it is, I have no idea.
Alien Cradle was my first attempt at Science Fiction. I liked it as a story, but didn't care as much about the characters as I did in the Delver Series. I'm currently working on Delver Magic Book IV and hope to have it out in a couple of months. I'll probably charge $.99 for it.

I saw that you tried the reset method with the pin in the hole, but there's also that menu option to do the factory reset in the advanced settings menu. You probably already tried it, but if not, maybe it's worth a shot.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
TomTeaPack
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
Alien Cradle was my first attempt at Science Fiction. I liked it as a story, but didn't care as much about the characters as I did in the Delver Series. I'm currently working on Delver Magic Book IV and hope to have it out in a couple of months. I'll probably charge $.99 for it.

I saw that you tried the reset method with the pin in the hole, but there's also that menu option to do the factory reset in the advanced settings menu. You probably already tried it, but if not, maybe it's worth a shot.
Yep, tried all that, but nothing worked. I took it to geek squad and they said there is a problem with some of the "pixels" in the screen and so, I sent it back to kobo -- In the meantime, my daughter purchased another one for me, exactly the same. And, now I am back to reading in style and with pleasure. What I did before the ereaders is hard to remember, since they make reading so much easier and fun again.

Oh, I will gladly pay $0.99 to $9.99 for the next delver book, I loved them. Most original concept and characters I have met since I first met a couple of guys named Lucky Starr and Bigman Jones nearly 60 years ago, written by "Paul French", who later turned out to be Issac Asimov.