Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
janmill
janmill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newbie who didn't know there were so many different ereaders & is now more confused

Hello everyone! This forum was recommended to me by a friend when they found out I was looking to buy an ereader.

Like the title says I'm a total newbie at this and when I started doing my research and finding out how many different ereaders are out there, it made me even more confused.

I've been reading through a lot of different posts here and have learned a great deal about ereaders but I was hoping to get a little more help from people who are more experienced!

Basically I love reading but it has gotten so bad that there is no more room on my bookshelves and now I just have stacks of books, taller than I am, all around my room.

I am a college student but I can't really see myself using an ereader for text books because they are so dang expensive (the textbooks) and I would need an easy way to highlight and take notes. Also, a lot of times you only have etext books for a certain amount of time (like a semester) and than they expire.

This might sound odd but I also love the ctrl +f (find) ability on computers so that if I'm trying to find something on a long page of text I can just type it in and it will either take me directly to where the text is, or it will tell me that that text can't be found. I don't know if any ereaders have this, or a similar function.

From what I was reading on here it seems that the Kindle doesn't support ebooks from the library. I really need an ebook that does (also thanks to someone who posted about the Philadelphia free library!).

I'm not looking to do a lot of internet browsing (that's what my laptop is for) but basic stuff (email, certain forums etc) would be great.

I don't have a preference between eink or LCD screens as I do not know enough about them. I have played around with my uncles Kindle and liked it but now I'm looking into all the other ereaders out there.

I also don't have a preference over touch screen or buttons.

I just really need a place to start looking. I will, of course, test out any recommendations given here. I won't just go out and buy whatever! But I'm just so jumbled I just really need a place to start.

So thanks for any help you can give!
janmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I don't know where you are located geographically, but if you are in the US you might want to go to a Best Buy. They carry the Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Kindle, Sony, and Kobo reader. You can take a good look at them and try them out. If you have enough money and don't mind reading on LCD, you may also want to try getting a tablet instead.

The Kindle doesn't support library books now, but it will later this year. It is also rumored that Amazon will debut new Kindle ereaders in the fall, although they haven't confirmed this. Sony also definitely will be putting out a new ereader too, so you might want to wait to see what these readers are like.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
janmill
janmill began at the beginning.

Device: none
^Thank you I will be sure to do that. I'm not in a huge rush as I'd rather take my time and really get the right one.

I'm not really looking into getting a tablet though as it has way more functions than what I really need.
janmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Couple of points - if you're doing much reading you'll likely find that e-ink (rather than LCD) is the way to go.
Be aware that most (my guess) display models won't likely have the newest firmware on them. Firmware updates can make a big difference in terms of functioning/features, so make sure you check out the forums for the reader you are considering to see what has changed. Definitely check them out hands on since that will give you some idea the feel of the reader. Same applies to early reviews of some readers.
Search function is available on most readers (Kobo currently doesn't have, but the developers have indicated it coming)
Ignore whatever they claim for battery life. I'm sure there are some differences, but the numbers they quote don't really mean much in reality and nobody seems to rate them the same way (they're a marketing gimmick).
Realize that the screens are fragile and susceptible to damage if the reader gets twisted (a soft case likely isn't a good idea in a backpack). It may not show up when it gets twisted but may break overnight at a later point.
Don't worry about the black flash between pages. For almost everyone you will stop noticing it after 1/2 hour of reading the first time (it really bothers a small number of people).

My personal bias is for the Kobo Touch, but I've only ever owned a Kobo so I can't directly compare. I like the size/form and way it works generally. I almost didn't get it because it was only touchscreen, but even as someone who normally hates touchscreen with the infared sensors (rather than an actual "touch" screen) I don't mind it at all.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmill View Post
I'm not looking to do a lot of internet browsing (that's what my laptop is for) but basic stuff (email, certain forums etc) would be great.
The more you want to do long-run reading and the less you want to do apps/games/web/etc, the more happy you'll be with an E Ink ereader.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
All great advice, here are a few extra points: You say the Kindle does not support borrowed books, that is true however it can be quite easily adapted to borrowed books to the point that I do not think thats a real concern. Below is a list of statements, find the one that best describes you and get the reader associated with that statement, i would still do as charmain suggest, get your self to a store like bestbuy and look at each one in action, these readers sell themselves and who in the world is most knowlegable about what you want but you.

1) I want low priced books - Kindle;
2) I want the absolute simplest reader to learn - Kobo
3) Best user interface, that's for me - Nook Simple Touch
4) Cheap, I don't have a lot of dollars to spend - Use your smart phone as a reader, the readers will cost $0 (the draw back is the tiny screen);
5) I want cheap but a larger screen then the smart phone - Kobo
6) I frequently read foreign languege books, non-english - Opus Bookeen
7) I want to be able to read absolutely any book I come across without needing to wory about the format of the book - Pocket Book Lite.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
7) I want to be able to read absolutely any book I come across without needing to wory about the format of the book - Pocket Book Lite. Or, any reader + calibre

If I were out shopping again, I would be considering the Sony PRS-350/650 or the Nook Simple Touch. Great e-ink screens with associated long battery life, touch screen. The Sony's are more premium priced, but I think they are built better and are nicer-looking. If price were the main consideration, I'd go with the NST.

Last edited by maxbookworm; 08-05-2011 at 01:46 PM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Be sure to try a Kindle. It sounds like just what you are looking for.

The Kindle's keyboard is a real plus if you are into searching and taking notes on the device. I find it very useful. To find stuff in a book you're reading, you don't even need to type ctrl-f...just start typing.

You mention that light Internet use would be a plus. This is also a very handy bonus on the Kindle, especially if you can swing the extra cost of the 3G versions.

Going out and trying them is a great idea. Any B&N will have nooks to play with and more and more stores have demo Kindles on display.

As for library books, it's announced to be officially coming to the Kindle shortly.
Unofficially, many folks are happily reading library books on Kindles now.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You mention that light Internet use would be a plus. This is also a very handy bonus on the Kindle, especially if you can swing the extra cost of the 3G versions.
Sony's PRS-950 comes with a browser as well, though it only works in wifi and not 3G. On a campus that shouldn't be an issue though, as I recall my college had wifi everywhere.

The 950 has an on-screen keyboard (use with stylus or long nails), and can search, highlight and notate in books as well. Though the best part with it, in my opinion, is the 7-inch screen.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
From your post, it sounds like you're not too picky, so I think you'll be happy with any one you decide on.

Your only major concern seems to be library books. At this time, Kindle does not support them. However, Kindle will start supporting them later this year, I think. So, your choices are still really wide open as pretty much all other brands support library books.

As discussed, I'd also recommend waiting until later this year for you. You say you are fine with waiting, and you'll get to see all the newer models coming out for the holiday season (rumours are models will start being announced September/October). Plus, if you decide to go with a current model that will be "old" once a newer one comes out soon, it will probably be cheaper to buy it later this year than it is now.

Your main four options in brand are Kindle, Sony, nook and Kobo. Since you're not too picky, you'll probably want to go with one of them as they're the easiest to research and look at and all that. The only caveat is if you want a really really cheap one and find a smaller brand selling a cheaper reader.

Kindle has the largest community, often has the cheapest books to buy and has excellent customer service. A big drawback for some is limiting yourself to their DRM.

Sony is the most expensive of the big brands, but many say it has the best hardware.

nook has the advantage of being tied to a physical book store.

Kobo is the cheapest of the major brands (although not that much cheaper than the Kindle or nook).

I was going to go a little more in-depth on what the different brands offer, but honestly, with new models coming out, who knows what will be offered. Kindle is rumoured to have touch screen coming, maybe even colour. Who knows what Sony is adding or changing.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Kindle has the largest community, often has the cheapest books to buy and has excellent customer service. A big drawback for some is limiting yourself to their DRM.
By the same token, a big drawback for some of NOT getting a Kindle is NOT being able to use Amazon's DRM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might want to consider an Ectaco "jetBook Lite" 5" eReader with a black&white
Reflective TFT LCD screen. It supports most ebook formats and three of the DRM
scams, including the ADE DRM (.epub & .pdf) that most libraries use. The other two
are the Barns&Noble DRM (.epub) and the Secure eReader DRM (.pdb).

It also uses 4ea AA batteries, including the common NiMH rechargeables that can be
charged "offline", so that you can always have a charged set ready to replace the
current set. You get about 25-30 hours of reading time per charge. This allows you
to quickly change the battery set and be back to reading in minutes. With a built-in
battery charging setup you need to charge your ereader for usually ~4 hours before
you can read again, untethered.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Not true.

I have an iGo Charge Anywhere. It is both a wall charger and has a built in battery pack to charge when I am not near a wall outlet.

On my Sony PRS-600, -650, and -350 I can charge and read at the same time. So NO downtime to recharge. And I can top up the charge before I need to if I want to do so.

And I can use the thing to charge my phone, my Palm, and other small electronic devices.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Not true.

I have an iGo Charge Anywhere. It is both a wall charger and has a built in battery pack to charge when I am not near a wall outlet.

On my Sony PRS-600, -650, and -350 I can charge and read at the same time. So NO downtime to recharge. And I can top up the charge before I need to if I want to do so.

And I can use the thing to charge my phone, my Palm, and other small electronic devices.
He said "untethered."
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It sounds like your "iGo Charge Anywhere" would be something very useful for those
who can't replace their batteries "on the go", as you can with the JBL. A solar charging
setup would be nice, as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXbT...eature=related

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote