Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
henry_moh
Edge User

Request supporting to djv format of e-books

This format is opensource e-book. I have some e-books in this format. If i convert them to Pdf, the size will turn from 6M to 200M each book.

p.s. I wish folder should be adopted in library. It is hard to organize the books without foldering. Tag sometimes cannot help.

Thank you!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
ckole
Edge User

How common is this format? Since Calibre doesn't support it I am assuming it is not very common. You might ask the developer of Calibre if they could add support for that then you could convert to ePub.

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DjVu
DjVu (pronounced like déjà vu) is a computer file format designed primarily to store scanned documents, especially those containing a combination of text, line drawings, and photographs. It uses technologies such as image layer separation of text and background/images, progressive loading, arithmetic coding, and lossy compression for bitonal (monochrome) images. This allows for high-quality, readable images to be stored in a minimum of space, so that they can be made available on the web.

DjVu has been promoted as an alternative[2] to PDF, as it gives smaller files than PDF for most scanned documents. The DjVu developers report[3] that color magazine pages compress to 40–70 kB, black and white technical papers compress to 15–40 kB, and ancient manuscripts compress to around 100 kB; a satisfactory JPEG image typically requires 500 kB. Like PDF, DjVu can contain an OCR text layer, making it easy to perform cut and paste and text search operations....
Based on the technical information it looks like the pages are stored as images. That's why converting to PDF makes such huge files -- almost everything ends up being rendered as a graphic..

According to that wiki page the format and code are "open". There hasn't been any update to the program/spec on that page since July 2006(?)

The main project/resource site at http://www.djvu.org/ does seem active. But I didn't see any source code there.

From what I see here at this sourceforge site http://djvu.sourceforge.net/gsdjvu.html the regular project source might be slightly encumbered , but this site has its own GPL version.

So..... I guess there's no reason (other than developer time) why the edge couldn't do djv files from a licensing point of view.

I found this page which is supposed to be an Android Djvu viewer: http://code.google.com/p/djvudroid/

Last edited by kenjennings; 06-11-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
euser1
Edge User

Djvudroid works pretty well on the LCD side. I've requested that it be updated to use the entire screen. This is just a matter of building it for android 1.6 rather than android 1.5

It would be nice if it worked for the eink side too. I've lots of books in this format.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

I agree it would be fantastic to be able to read and annotate djvu files ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euser1 View Post
Djvudroid works pretty well on the LCD side. I've requested that it be updated to use the entire screen. This is just a matter of building it for android 1.6 rather than android 1.5

It would be nice if it worked for the eink side too. I've lots of books in this format.

Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
euser1
Edge User

Here's the link to the fullscreen djvu droid app

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmim2j....djvudroid.apk

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
unraisedarc
Edge User

Here is a link to the newer djvu+pdf droid document viewer (vudroid) with full screen lcd support:

http://ifile.it/120ql7i

Hopefully if/when they release a EE sdk we'll be able to at least output djvu pages to the e-screen.
BTW, djvu-formatted books are still very popular for those doing their own scans who want small file size yet high quality scans. An ocr layer makes djvu that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euser1 View Post
Here's the link to the fullscreen djvu droid app

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmim2j....djvudroid.apk
EDIT: Thanks fgruber, link fixed.

Last edited by unraisedarc; 06-11-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
fgruber
Edge User

The link doesn't seem to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by unraisedarc View Post
Here is a link to the newer djvu+pdf droid document viewer (vudroid) with full screen lcd support:

http://ifile.it/120ql7

Hopefully if/when they release a EE sdk we'll be able to at least output djvu pages to the e-screen.
BTW, djvu-formatted books are still very popular for those doing their own scans who want small file size yet high quality scans. An ocr layer makes djvu that much better.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
unraisedarc
Edge User

Sorry, forgot the i at the end of the link. It's fixed, thanks!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
jsfiller
Edge User

Ok, +1 for djvu support on eink side. Unfortunately, I started my own thread thinking no one else was interested in this. Shoulda looked. I'll learn.

@ckole
I, for one, have found Calibre to extremely un-useful. I know I'm in the vast minority here. But I'm at about a 35% success rate when I try to use it to convert from one format to another. And I've also found that epub, as a format, is absolutely horrible for the types of books I use and need (books with foreign fonts). So using Calibre to convert is not a useful option for me. And I also need to be able to use all the annotation and linking features, so a simple Android reader app isn't very useful for me either.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
fgruber
Edge User

Why don't you just print the djvu to a pdf. If you have acrobat you can do OCR, add bookmarks, etc. I know it is a lot of work but that is why I do when I want to read and annotate something in djvu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfiller View Post
Ok, +1 for djvu support on eink side. Unfortunately, I started my own thread thinking no one else was interested in this. Shoulda looked. I'll learn.

@ckole
I, for one, have found Calibre to extremely un-useful. I know I'm in the vast minority here. But I'm at about a 35% success rate when I try to use it to convert from one format to another. And I've also found that epub, as a format, is absolutely horrible for the types of books I use and need (books with foreign fonts). So using Calibre to convert is not a useful option for me. And I also need to be able to use all the annotation and linking features, so a simple Android reader app isn't very useful for me either.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
jsfiller
Edge User

Actually other than adding bookmarks, it doesn't seem so bad. I'll probably give it a shot. Will Acrobat convert the djvu to PDF, or do you need some other program for that?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
fgruber
Edge User

Usually when you install acrobat you get a print 2 pdf printer option. Just go to the djvu file and choose print. Then select the Adobe printer.
Thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfiller View Post
Actually other than adding bookmarks, it doesn't seem so bad. I'll probably give it a shot. Will Acrobat convert the djvu to PDF, or do you need some other program for that?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
henry_moh
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Usually when you install acrobat you get a print 2 pdf printer option. Just go to the djvu file and choose print. Then select the Adobe printer.
Thats it.
The problem is that: The djv compress is much better than pdf. So when the books are converted to pdf, it will become very huge (at least 100X).

Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
pablodamasceno
Edge User

Hi guys, 2 tips:

1) For anyone annoyed with pdf-to-go (who forget the last page you were reading, opening the pdf always from the begging and has those awful breaks between the pages): I have been using the linux command pdf2djvu to transform my pdfs to djvu and reading the books using DjvuDroid - while making annotations about them in the e-ink side. It's much faster then pdf-to-go and has no such problems.

2) I had some pdf lectures that couldn't be loaded by pdf-to-go (images appeared as a square box with a big X inside). Solution? : Open using the e-ink side and then save as pdf. Done! You have your pdf ready to be read, in colors, on the LCD side. =)

I hope those are useful tips for someone else. Best.