Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
drug vs dragged

Question for people: I've been reading a lot of freebies recently and noticed the use of the word "drug" in the context of "dragged". I have never seen this before, but recently I've come across it in several (self-published) works by different authors. Is this accepted usage in the US, or anywhere else? Or is it just plain wrong?
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds wrong to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Is this accepted usage in the US, or anywhere else? Or is it just plain wrong?
Drug instead of Dragged sounds wrong to me (British).

Dialecticon suggests that it's only really found in US and Canada, and is rare even there.
http://www.chaucery.com/fun/dialecti...rase2=was+drug

Looking at the plural, it may have originated in Canada:
http://www.chaucery.com/fun/dialecti...ase2=were+drug

And looking at the plain word suggests the same. (Obviously, most uses of the word "drug" are not in this form, but the ratio to dragged is useful.)
http://www.chaucery.com/fun/dialecti...d&phrase2=drug
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Definately not right.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm from Ohio in the US. I grew up with "drug", but both are considered acceptable here.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Question for people: I've been reading a lot of freebies recently and noticed the use of the word "drug" in the context of "dragged". I have never seen this before, but recently I've come across it in several (self-published) works by different authors. Is this accepted usage in the US, or anywhere else? Or is it just plain wrong?
No, it's not accepted written usage (at least on the East and West Coasts). I've seen it in in dialogue intended to demonstrate a character's lack of education and rural background. Spoken English is of course a bit more flexible, but it's still the sort of thing my teachers would not have allowed.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-24-2011 at 08:12 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I wouldn't see it as wrong if it was in dialogue but it would make me pause if it was in narration. "Brung" instead of "brought" is a similar one. "He brung me a cup of tea".

I still have a problem with "shined" instead of "shone" however it is used.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I'm from Ohio in the US. I grew up with "drug", but both are considered acceptable here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I've seen it in in dialogue intended to demonstrate a character's lack of education and rural background.
Thanks, you're so kind. Just so's you know, using regional dialect does not make one less edumacated. It is also perfectly acceptable in my region to end sentences in a preposition. For example, instead of "Where is my coat?", people around here will ask "Where is my coat at?" It's just the way things are.

I have had people around here correct me for saying "dived" instead of "dove".

I did, however, recently come across the word "leant"... that one threw me. I honestly thought it should have been "leaned".

Last edited by queentess; 03-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Learnt" is a lot more common in British English than "learned".

Strong verb forms do tend to go out of usage as time passes. Eg, I read a lot of Victorian novels, and "clomb" (instead of "climbed") is pretty common in those. You'd never (to the best of my knowledge) see that used today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I did, however, recently come across the word "leant"... that one threw me. I honestly thought it should have been "leaned".
Both leant and leaned are used in the UK. Dialecticon shows it's much more common in British and Australian English than in American or Canadian English.

I suspect that leant is actually more common in the UK than leaned. UK web sites often carry text from US sources, which affects Dialecticon's results.

http://www.chaucery.com/fun/dialecti...phrase2=leaned
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Note that you're finding it in self-published works and freebies. You'll also see greengrocers' apostrophes there (that is, apostrophes used to make plural's). That doesn't make them correct, either; it makes the writers wrong.

This is why there are editors -- or, for indies, paid editing services.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with those who said it was improper if used in the narrative but okay if used by the character speaking.

I'd also like to say that I never heard of the term "greengrocers' apostrophes" before today. I know exactly what he means by it, but I didn't know it had a name. That also drives me up a wall when I see it in published work.

So I continue to get an education in writing.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It sounds wrong to my ears, but it appears to be well attested, so to say it is incorrect is, itself, incorrect.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You'll also see greengrocers' apostrophes there (that is, apostrophes used to make plural's). That doesn't make them correct, either; it makes the writers wrong.

This is why there are editors -- or, for indies, paid editing services.
You see those a lot in traditional publishing too, so I don't think it's a lack of editors that are to blame.

http://www.killtheapostrophe.com/
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Thanks, you're so kind. Just so's you know, using regional dialect does not make one less edumacated. It is also perfectly acceptable in my region to end sentences in a preposition. For example, instead of "Where is my coat?", people around here will ask "Where is my coat at?" It's just the way things are.
I was apparently typing my post when yours appeared; no personal reference was intended. I apologize for any offence caused by my ill-chosen words, which were meant in reference to stereotypical authorial cues rather than conclusions I would draw in real life. (Especially considering how many regionalisms I use in conversation myself.) Please accept my apologies.

Last edited by wayrad; 03-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote