Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
question about ebook libraries, please tell me if its worth it

How does that work? I know with Sony or Kobo ebook reader devices you can borrow books, awesome! But...I tried first on my iPhone with Overdrive to see how it works. It looks like I need a membership/library card from my local library?
Anyone can tell me about this? Soon I will get a Sony (if I like the idea of borrowing books) or a Kindle (if it does not work for me or books are on an endless waiting list).
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Your sidebar info says you're in BC, so all you need is a valid library card for any BC library, and just head over to our province-wide "Library Without Walls" e-book/audiobook lending site.

I think we have a pretty decent selection for many books and genres, though of course if you want stuff in certain categories like sf/fantasy, there really isn't much to choose from. It helps if you like romance and thriller/mysteries and political/history non-fiction, I think.

Why not install Adobe Digital Editions if you haven't already (don't forget to register an Adobe ID so you can transfer the books later) and try borrowing a book or two? I've heard that either the Bluefire or TXTR apps for iPhone can read ADE-DRM stuff. Oops, just noticed that you were planning to try stuff out on the Overdrive app.

Hope this helps, and happy browsing!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I ADORE ebooks from my library!

I use Overdrive on my phone and a Kindle at home (shhh!). Overdrive isn't the best reader out there, but it's what we've got. When I add a book to my TBR list, the first thing I do is check my libraries to see if it's available electronically. It's saved my hundreds of dollars already this year.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
It doesn't hurt to use your library's "purchase suggestion" feature (if available). I put EBOOK (all caps) after the title, so they don't think I'm suggesting buying the paper copy they already own, use the ISBN of the ebook (Googling those is fairly easy), and put "Please consider adding an ebook as well to the holdings - thanks!" in the comments field.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just check out the Singapore Library. It is for free and has more than 21,800 ebooks.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
There's an Overdrive app??
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I ADORE ebooks from my library!

I use Overdrive on my phone and a Kindle at home (shhh!). Overdrive isn't the best reader out there, but it's what we've got. When I add a book to my TBR list, the first thing I do is check my libraries to see if it's available electronically. It's saved my hundreds of dollars already this year.
I thought you cannot borrow books on Kindle??
For me i would like to get a Kindle or Sony, but that depends if I like to borrow books from library. Thats why I posted this thread. I looked at a few books that are on a waiting list, am not sure if that works for me. Ebooks are about 10 bucks, but hey, if its for free, thats even better. How is your experience with the latest books (new released ones) and I do need to visit my local library in person to register for a library card, isn't it?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Yes, you need to visit a library in person. I actually have a local library card, and a card from the Chicago Public library, and I have to visit both once a year. I told my family I wanted them to get library cards for my birthday. That allows me to put holds on more books.

You have to check your library's offerings of ebooks. Different libraries offer different collections. CPL offers bestseller fiction, a few bestseller nonfiction (wish they had more) and a lot of contemporary romance. My suburban library has a collection that includes back list series, gay romance, and faith-based books (republican and christian). If you happen to catch on to how and when your library adds ebooks, you will have pretty good luck in checking out the book or getting on pretty low on the waitlist.

If you are really interested in library books, you are better off with the Sony. Does Sony now have the Pearl screen? I have a kindle, and using library books on the kindle involves stripping the DRM. I pay taxes to the library and delete the books once I am done reading them, but you have to decide for yourself.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Yes, you need to visit a library in person. I actually have a local library card, and a card from the Chicago Public library, and I have to visit both once a year. I told my family I wanted them to get library cards for my birthday. That allows me to put holds on more books.

You have to check your library's offerings of ebooks. Different libraries offer different collections. CPL offers bestseller fiction, a few bestseller nonfiction (wish they had more) and a lot of contemporary romance. My suburban library has a collection that includes back list series, gay romance, and faith-based books (republican and christian). If you happen to catch on to how and when your library adds ebooks, you will have pretty good luck in checking out the book or getting on pretty low on the waitlist.

If you are really interested in library books, you are better off with the Sony. Does Sony now have the Pearl screen? I have a kindle, and using library books on the kindle involves stripping the DRM. I pay taxes to the library and delete the books once I am done reading them, but you have to decide for yourself.
Thanks so much for your information! BTW how does that work with stripping DRM? I read more about people having Kindles and are able to borrow library books. Am sooooo new to this..... I prefer Kindle because of much cheaper price than Sony. Although if Sony is really a better quality ebook reader?
I will go to my library today and check it out.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My sister has a nook and she's gotten dozens of books from her library and Singapore national library. You need to get a library card and check out what kind of selection your library has to decide if it's worthwhile.

The Singapore library has a big selection but I wonder how long they can let people outside their territory access it. That seems like the kind of thing the publishers want to clamp down.

You can strip the DRM from library books to read on your kindle, but personally I feel that isn't right because when you borrow something you should abide by the lender's condition; in addition, you don't get to violate the agreement between the library and the publisher. Other people see it differently.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Library selection - visit the link ATDrake provided. Do a search of authors you are interested in and get a sense of the selection.

Waitlists are the norm now for many popular/new/bestselling titles. You'll have 3 days to 'pick up' your hold (they email you when it becomes available) or you lose your place in line. Since the default setting is for 3 week loans, you may have to wait a while for your waitlist books (although you can also choose a 7 or 14 day checkout time, and you can return a book earlier than its expiry date from Adobe Digital Editions).

A Sony reader will work with library ebooks as they are intended to be used.

You could still read library ebooks with a Kindle if you are willing to learn how to strip the DRM and convert them to a compatible format.

If you decide the library selection fits your interests, you'll need to get a library card (it sounds like you don't already have one). The VPL has many branches so you shouldn't have a problem finding a branch to visit in person to get your card.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
Library selection - visit the link ATDrake provided. Do a search of authors you are interested in and get a sense of the selection.

Waitlists are the norm now for many popular/new/bestselling titles. You'll have 3 days to 'pick up' your hold (they email you when it becomes available) or you lose your place in line. Since the default setting is for 3 week loans, you may have to wait a while for your waitlist books (although you can also choose a 7 or 14 day checkout time, and you can return a book earlier than its expiry date from Adobe Digital Editions).

A Sony reader will work with library ebooks as they are intended to be used.

You could still read library ebooks with a Kindle if you are willing to learn how to strip the DRM and convert them to a compatible format.

If you decide the library selection fits your interests, you'll need to get a library card (it sounds like you don't already have one). The VPL has many branches so you shouldn't have a problem finding a branch to visit in person to get your card.
Guess what? Tonight I went to my local library and got myself a membership card! LET THE FUN BEGIN....! Just want to check out how it works on my iPhone. If I like the idea of borrowing books I will get a Sony (I have been on this forum a few times and did not want to have a Sony...might take that back). Definitely not a Kobo, just don't like it. Or a Kindle if the library is not for me because of whatever reason. The Sony was very nice, like the colour too, looks (and is) more expensive, and its probably worth it. The librarian told me, if you have lots of money you can buy a Kindle and buy books appr. 8 to 10 bucks. The Kindle is cheaper but in the end more money with purchasing all books. I didn't see it that way, so a bit more money for a Sony gives me free books to choose from.
Love this forum with everyone's input and ideas. Thanks! All help and advice still appreciated
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up Well done................

Another Sonyite !

Yes, the library thing is great, but do join the Singapore, it's brilliant. (Details are elsewhere on Forum, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to show links ! )

And - also on Forum - lots of free "buys", promotion offers, etc...
See also Author's section, Recommendations, and Freebies & Sources.

Have fun
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
bcgirl,be sure and let us know! I love my Sony and like the one I got for my wife even better, but she won't trade.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink

Divorce, and get custody of the reader.

Although noting your user name, this simple solution may seem just a little extreme................

.........but, on the other hand..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote