Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
zacaj
zacaj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Frotz

I just jailbroke my kindle 3 and though itd be cool to read interactive fiction on it, so I ported dumbfrotz. Works fine through the standalone terminal ) Has anyone else ported an IF interpreter? I couldnt find anything anywhere...

You can download my port here. Once you have the terminal running, put dumbfrotz and a z-code file on your kindle, and then in the terminal:
Code:
cd /mnt/us
./dumbfrotz NAMEOFIF
zacaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I believe adq did a port some time ago, called kif. Should be available via adq.livejournal.com

Interesting! Will have a look at your app when I get the chance to, though I'm not too versed in using the command line.
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
zacaj

Cool, I didnt know you could put it in the menu, although it seems to be java Anyway, taking a look at kif, it seems to have worse compatability, especially with z8 files, although its much easier to use(integrated saving, etc).
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
I quite like KIF's UI but from memory dumbfrotz plays pretty well with older z3 files and z8. Plus KIF I can only access the first 1/3 of my collection. I've been looking for agood excuse to get terminal up and running, I'll let you know how it goes.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Now is the time I wish I were a little more computer savvy, or at least more intrepid.

For the less brave among us, Kif isn't too shabby at all. (Though I'm so dependent on GUEmap, it hasn't gotten much usage.)
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
kingerg
kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony prs-700, Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle Touch 3G
Wow!
How nice to find someone trying to do something for the IF fans. I wish the "hack" were less cumbersome (using Stand alone terminal). Thanks anyway, I'll give it a try.

Question,can you uninstall it if you wanted to?

By the way this a good webpage to play Interactive Fictions (online) directly on your Kindle.
http://www.kindlequest.com/Default.aspx
It works really well, but then again you need to be "connected" to be able to play.

Keep up the good work!
kingerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
zacaj

Uninstall frotz? Just delete it
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
kingerg
kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.kingerg is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony prs-700, Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacaj View Post
Uninstall frotz? Just delete it
Oh, well that's easy, I'll definitely give it a shot

Thanks!
kingerg is offline   Reply With Quote