Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Tmobile SIM card on iPad?

An easy one for you guys.

I do have the ipad wifi and still playing with it or trying to convince myself if keep it and return my DX or not.

Anyway, my question would be, for the 3G version, can I use my Tmobile data plan/SIM? Also, if removed, will the device keep working or using wifi instead?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Assuming that your iPad is not "locked" to a particular carrier (those sold in the UK certainly aren't), it should work fine with any 3G provider. Do remember, though, that it uses a micro-SIM, not a full-size SIM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ohhhhhhhhh... good point, thanks! I don't remember which type of SIM my Galaxy Tab uses, I do need to check.

Thanks Harry..
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't know about Tmobile, but I got the Verizen 4G mifi for Christmas. I have the wifi iPad without 3G. The mifi hotspot works like a dream.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I don't know about Tmobile, but I got the Verizen 4G mifi for Christmas. I have the wifi iPad without 3G. The mifi hotspot works like a dream.
I think I need more coffee!

You're 100% right, I can convert/use my GT as access-point and no need to take SIM card in or out.
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm pretty sure that US iPads are locked to the carrier you buy them for.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I'm pretty sure that US iPads are locked to the carrier you buy them for.
I bought one at a U.S. Apple store and one at a Best Buy, both unlocked.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Great! Now, if I ever get to Europe again, maybe I can get a micro-SIM for the iPad while I'm there.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

The one I have is wifi and from Best Buy, but the seller wanted to sell the 3G and unlocked. Maybe new ones are being sold unlocked already, not sure, or maybe depends of the carrier or the store.

By the way, wife got disappointed with the iPad which is good and bad ... ... means, if I keep it, I will "hijack" it and/or use it for more time than expected. But I must admit it hurts my eyes if I use it for too long.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-16-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
From what I understand the iPad's only recognizes AT&T's 3G frequencies, and will fall back to 2G if used on a carrier like T-mobile.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
From what I understand the iPad's only recognizes AT&T's 3G frequencies, and will fall back to 2G if used on a carrier like T-mobile.
I'm not at all sure what you mean by that. 2G and 3G use the same "frequencies". My iPad certainly doesn't use AT&T (because I'm in the UK!) and it most assuredly works with 3G (with O2, in my case).
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not at all sure what you mean by that. 2G and 3G use the same "frequencies". My iPad certainly doesn't use AT&T (because I'm in the UK!) and it most assuredly works with 3G (with O2, in my case).
T-Mobile USA's 3G is on a weird set of frequencies; the iPhone and iPad will only work with 3G off on T-Mobile. (EDGE works fine)
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOhFour View Post
T-Mobile USA's 3G is on a weird set of frequencies; the iPhone and iPad will only work with 3G off on T-Mobile. (EDGE works fine)
So it's actually a case of the iPad NOT recognising TMobile's frequencies, rather than ONLY using AT&T's frequencies? Thank you for the clarification - that makes sense.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Yeah,

I just forgot that. I actually change SIMs on my cellphone when I travel to South America but I was on AT&T; recently changed to Tmobile so wife and I can be on same plan.

I did not know about the kind of freq. iPad uses for 3G though, thanks.

Found this interesting link: http://thetravelinsider.info/roadwar...bandphones.htm
Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Jabreal53
Banned
Jabreal53 began at the beginning.

Device: Jabreal53
well sure it is going to work only if u do have a micro sim as the usual full size sim will definitely not work with it. Apart from that, it must work with any 3g service provider without any probelms. And again, make sure ur phone is not locked.
Jabreal53 is offline   Reply With Quote