Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Various Authors: GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, V1, 9 July 07

Quote:
What is GCIDE?

GCIDE is the GNU Project's publication of CIDE, the Collaborative International Dictionary of English. It is a freely-available set of ASCII files containing the marked-up text of a substantial English dictionary. (130,633 headwords and growing!)
This is released in the MobiPocket Dictionary format in preparation for the upcoming dictionary support on the iLiad. It should work without problems on the iLiad when the update is released.

Version 1 is a very large file. ~12MB Unzipped. Future versions will be compiled at a higher compression.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GCIDE.zip (9.38 MB, 18108 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Anaksulnamun
Anaksulnamun began at the beginning.

Device: E90
How

I have a question Adam, how can you convert the file gcide-0.46.zip (with all the dict files) into a .prc mobipocket dictionary ?
And which version of GCIDE is it mate ?The newest is 0.46 now
Anaksulnamun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I used the GCIDE XML (http://www.ibiblio.org/webster/) for use with converting. The above post is version .46. I can't really go through the details of what I used to convert, because I have deleted the modifications I've done to the XML file. It's not that difficult to do with the Mobipocket Creator and a bit of research.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Anaksulnamun
Anaksulnamun began at the beginning.

Device: E90
Thank you a lot, now I have the ideal of which "default index search file" option in the Creator.
I will try again, thank you for such a good dict
Anaksulnamun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I am using mobipocket on my Symbian Device (P1i).
Moved the file to the library, and it doesn't work

It doesn't show up in my library, and it can't be selected in the options as dictionary.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

EDIT: I know what I did wrong
Restart mobipocket, or else the book does not show up.
Sheesh!

EDIT2: Wow, it works! Cool, thank you for your efforts. The look-up function was something I really missed since I switched from MS Reader to Mobipocket.

Last edited by mores; 02-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
Yippee, it works.

Now I have a dictionary on my cybook.

Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
This is released in the MobiPocket Dictionary format in preparation for the upcoming dictionary support on the iLiad. It should work without problems on the iLiad when the update is released.

Version 1 is a very large file. ~12MB Unzipped. Future versions will be compiled at a higher compression.
I was working on doing the GCIDE dictionary a few months ago, as a followup to the Webster's that I posted. Since things have turned sour for me lately, I haven't had time to finish it. I'm glad that Adam managed to post his version.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
I have just tried this on CyBook but it seems that this prc file cannot handle Inflections in a good way. But anyway the information of inflections is included in the original xml file. I think one can handle this with some kind of scripting. How do you tranform the xml file to prc? Have you used any script? If so can you share the script so that I can try to implement this more easily. Thank!!
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Is it possible to upload a .txt file format so that i can use it on my Sony PRS-505 Dictionary Reader using this program here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320
This seems like the best english-english dictionary.
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
cign2001
cign2001 began at the beginning.

Device: BLACKBERRY8310
THANKS A LOT, IT IS VERY NICE OF YOU!
cign2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
phaedrus
phaedrus began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 755
Lookups Crash Treo 755p / Mobipocket 5.3

I transferred this file to my Treo and can open it in Mobipocket 5.3. Search link within the file works great.

But just a heads up to other PalmOS users - when I set this as my dictionary in Mobipocket, my Treo 755 consistently does a soft reset if I try to lookup a word by highlighting it while reading some other text. Not sure what the problem is - might be in Mobipocket and not this file at all, but the combination isn't working for lookups from other documents, at least for me. YMMV.

Oh, works fine in the Desktop Mobipocket Reader (v6.2, Windows XP). I can lookup words while reading another text just fine there.

Last edited by phaedrus; 12-20-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added desktop info
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
acasares
acasares began at the beginning.

Device: Illiad
It worked fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post

I downloaded it to the PC and updated the Iliad with the unzipped file. It worked nicely. But could I have updated the Iliad with the zipped file directly?
acasares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
prophetpan
prophetpan began at the beginning.

Device: HTC touch 3G
thanks
prophetpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
I transferred this file to my Treo and can open it in Mobipocket 5.3. Search link within the file works great.

But just a heads up to other PalmOS users - when I set this as my dictionary in Mobipocket, my Treo 755 consistently does a soft reset if I try to lookup a word by highlighting it while reading some other text. Not sure what the problem is - might be in Mobipocket and not this file at all, but the combination isn't working for lookups from other documents, at least for me.
Just in case anyone else is still pondering this somewhat "ancient" problem:

Today I had exactly the same problem with the file (or any other dictionary files for Mobipocket) under Mobipocket 5.3 on my Zire 72. Setting a dictionary under preferences caused a fatal exception.

So finally I tried putting a demo-file of a commercial dictionary on to the Palm Zire. And after activating the fulltext search option in this demo dictionary ... wow ... the word lookup function worked with the GICDE

Last edited by beachwanderer; 02-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
atm74
atm74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Good day. I recently bought a palm tx 2nd hand. I have the same problem, this dictionary immediately makes a soft reset every time I use the look up function.

BEACHWANDERER: Will you please share this commercial dictionary that you are saying. thanks a lot.

I use the one that they posted here for my mobipocket reader.

Last edited by atm74; 11-29-2010 at 06:58 AM.
atm74 is offline   Reply With Quote