Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Rasenganfan2
Rasenganfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
How to get Gingerbread keyboard?

I go to NCTools, tap keyboard, tap GB. From then on, I get no keyboard when I tap to enter text. Could you please help a fellow Auto-Nooter rooter? I used the latest AN from XDA, with the option for the GB keyboard.

From mah NookColor
Rasenganfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
I feel your pain! I was messing around in settings and saw that gingerbread was a choice, so I chose that keyboard, and now I have NO keyboard! I know I read something somewhere about what to do - but what????? HELP!!!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
This seems to be a common problem. Have you tried rebooting?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
jenniren
Nook Newb

Yes, I have rebooted several times...

But I feel better just knowing you are here for me in my hour of need! lol
On the upside, I love angry birds! And until I boinked the keyboard, I was very much loving my rooted NC!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there an option to choose another keyboard? I have to ask, sorry. Look in the /system/app directory and see if the Gingerbread keyboard is there.
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
jenniren
Nook Newb

I am looking in the device settings - which is where I chose the gingerbread keyboard. In the keyboard section, there were 2 choices, one was the standard one, and one was gingerbread. I chose gingerbread. Now when I go back to that spot to select the other choice, there are no choices there at all. It just deverts back to the home screen.

How do I find /system/app directory? (Sorry to be so blonde lol)
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
jenniren
Nook Newb

Ok - I am back in business! Whew!

In my applications drawer there was a nookcolor tools icon. I clicked on that and one off the options was choose keyboard and both options were there! I clicked the multi touch keyboard and I am up and running again!

You all were right - you learn alot when you just jump in and start messing with it! Worse case scenerio, I was going to take it back to orginal and then just re-root it! Once you do it, it doesn't seem as threatening. Thanks for your help Scion, just knowing that people like you are here to help gave me the courage I needed to do this! I have to say, I am loving my rooted NC!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
Does that keyboard have Swype? I'm looking to root my NC shortly, and would like the swype on there I think. Another thing is arrow keys, does that keyboard have foreward or back keys?

I was planning on using the auto nooter method at NookDev's which says it includes an optional keyboard. Is the XDA autonooter the same thing, or is it different from the one at NookDevelopers?
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

If you want swype and arrows you want the SlideIT keyboard.

The rooting methods posted at XDA and NOOK Devs are the same.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It doesn't work off the bat with the autonooter, i think it comes with aa broken API.

I had to fix this by hand.

Here is what i did.
1) Search XDA for instructions and the correct package. (You can skip this step)
2) Buy "Root Explorer" a must have thx SCION.
3) Install the APK.
4) it will be placed in the /data/app directory. Move the installed app "net.thinkdifferent.inputmethod.Latin.apk" to the /system/app. Directory
5) change permission to 644 or in root explore. User has read/write, the rest have read.
6) restart system.

Note in step 4 you will have to make the file system read/write to copy the file to the system. It is easy to do with root explorer.

Last edited by =X=; 01-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
jenniren
Nook Newb

That explains it and is good to know. I thought it was odd that it was offered as a choice but wasn't actually there lol. Rasenganfan2 and others who run into this now have a fix. I am good with the regular keyboard that is on there. I had just heard people talking about gingerbread and was curious to see the difference.

You guys are awesome! I know I would never attempted to root my NC if it weren't for the people here! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It doesn't work off the bat with the autonooter, i think it comes with aa broken API.

I had to fix this by hand.

Here is what i did.
1) Search XDA for instructions and the correct package. (You can skip this step)
2) Buy "Root Explorer" a must have thx SCION.
3) Install the APK.
4) it will be placed in the /data/app directory. Move the installed app "net.thinkdifferent.inputmethod.Latin.apk" to the /system/app. Directory
5) change permission to 644 or in root explore. User has read/write, the rest have read.
6) restart system.

Note in step 4 you will have to make the file system read/write to copy the file to the system. It is easy to do with root explorer.
Is this the solution when Gingerbread is installed but comes up blank?
Can I do it with any free apps so I don't have to buy "Root Explorer" (I know, I'm cheap).
I reinstalled Gingerbread from the apk file but that didn't solve the problem. I thought it might work if I uninstall first, but don't know how to do that.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
Rasenganfan2
Rasenganfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks for the support guys. I'm on the same cheap boat with BarryR :P What can I say, it happens when you aren't old enough to get a job.
Also, to make my name less confusing, I go by Rasen.
Rasenganfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Sometimes you have to change the permissions of the .apk file. You can only do this with Root Explorer or your ADB setup if you've done this.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasenganfan2 View Post
Thanks for the support guys. I'm on the same cheap boat with BarryR :P What can I say, it happens when you aren't old enough to get a job.
Also, to make my name less confusing, I go by Rasen.
I can't remotely claim to not be old enough to get a job but I guess you were old enough to get a nook.
But seriously, I'm not sure if I'll use the app much more after this so would rather not buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Sometimes you have to change the permissions of the .apk file. You can only do this with Root Explorer or your ADB setup if you've done this.
Fortunately, I do have ADB installed...
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote