Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
Nook color car charger?

I see that B&N has the car charger now. Just wondering if other chargers will work? B&N is way over priced at $24.99. Kohl's had an ereader car charger for $7. Was not sure if it would work with the color or not.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any microUSB car charger will work. However, it will do a slow charge and the NookColor itself will not report itself as charging, but it will charge.

If you need a fast charge, then you're going to have to go with the official NC car charger.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Someone on another forum (sorry, don't remember where) suggested in lieu of a car charger for a Nook (or any portable electronic device, really) you might want to consider getting what is called a "power inteverter" for your car. This is a device that plugs into the power outlet (nee cigarette lighter) and converts the 12V DC to 120 V AC. Then you simply plug your standard Nook charger into the inverter and charge away.

The beauty of this solution is that you can plug all manner of devices into it using their (usually standard) AC chargers. There's no need for separate car chargers for each phone, laptop, ereader, etc.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
+1 for the power inverter!

When we are going on long trips, I keep my Nook Color plugged into the power inverter for the whole trip. This way I can read while I am on the trip and the Nook is ready for 8 hours of use! The power inverters are not very big and work really well.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Nooker
Nooker began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
I use a 12v -> USB adaptor and can report that it is the slow trickle charge. It seemed to me that it just kept it from dischrging while I used it in the car. I'll probably pick up the B&N one if it has the full amperage needed to quick charge.
Nooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Are you using it to charge your Nook during long trips as a passenger?

Please don't drive and Nook at the same time.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 01-03-2011 at 06:44 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Thanks Rockdaman, but I am paranoid enough that I turn off my cell phone before driving so I don't feel like I need to answer it and talk for any reason. When I get to my destination I go ahead and turn it on and check for messages.

Yes, I am the passenger when I am reading the NC. We just did a road trip between Phoenix and Santa Fe, NM for the holidays. It sure helps pass the time driving on the really BORING part of I-40 :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Nooker
Nooker began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Please don't drive and Nook at the same time.
I've been tempted (movies), but no, just while waiting for my passenger.
Nooker is offline   Reply With Quote