Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Migrating to new K3, can I quickly transfer books and collections?

My K3 started to rattle AGAIN with freezes and reboots so I have a new one coming my way.

Is there a quick way to transfer all my books and collections to the new K3?

As far as I know, I'll have to write down the books I have on my K3, and manually add them again via Calibre (non-Amazon books) and archived items. And with collections, I'll have to manually create collections add my books to them...all over again.

There has to be a way to preserve collections, yeah (I hope)? And an easier way to transfer books.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Peake
Peake began at the beginning.

Device: none
If all non-DRM, just backup your books and collections.json (under the systems folder on k3) and copy back. I don't remember, but you may have to do a restart for it to see the 'new' collections. I just remember that it took awhile for the k3 to re-index the books, I wasn't thinking and copied everything over at once

Regards,
Peake
Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Advice:

Add your books by "chunks", not all at the same time. 50 or 100 per upload is a good ratio, in my opinion, but not sure how many books you have. Then wait couple of hours or maybe next day and keep adding. You will minimize re-index time that way, and save battery.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Vote here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
My K3 started to rattle AGAIN with freezes and reboots so I have a new one coming my way.
Don't forget to vote here as well:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110682
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You'll need to download most if not all Amazon content to the new K3, as that is locked to a single device. Samples are 'portable' if and only if they are non-Topaz (i.e. not '.tpz' or .'azw1' extension).

You may also want to copy 'My Clippings.txt' to the new kindle, or at least back it up in case you ever want to use what is in there.

As for non-Amazon content, if you value bookmarks and annotations, make sure you copy the 'sidecar' files that store these: they'll have extensions .mbp (for azw/mobi/prc), and .pdr (for .pdf). I don't think calibre will manage these for you.

As I discovered when moving stuff from my K2 to my K3, if you happen to copy some Amazon content to the new Kindle by mistake, it will not index and Kindle will drain its battery trying, and you'll probably not be able to delete these without tethering to your computer (because you can't delete files that are 'in use').

So as you load each batch of content on, you might monitor the indexing queue by typing '.' at the Home screen and pressing enter or select. That will show you how many unindexed items there are and you can open the indexing status item and see which items it has yet to do. Normally it won't take more than a minute for each item - if that - unless it is a large book (e.g., a dictionary).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
A question, can you copy the collections.json file from the k2 to a k3?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote