Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
dremo
dremo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Article: Local bookstore fall to e-books

Here is an article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about local shops and ebooks.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/111729349.html

I disagree with the statement that ebooks are driving local bookstores out of business. It the competitive pricing online books (both paper, ebooks, and second hand) that are reducing the local shop sales.

Drew
dremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
man, what a weepy bunch of dreck. I bet I could get some real sob stories from men who no longer were able to hunt whales for their oil.

Times change people. So change with them, like REAL businessmen, instead of whining like pathetic losers.

I completely agree with you Drew about online pricing...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Many local independant bookstores just acquired ebook distribution thanks to google books.

http://www.indiebound.org/google-ebooks
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Discussion of this article is already carrying on over here.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I used to live right by Cummings in Dinkytown. It's a shame that they are closing but, yeah, it's not just ebooks that are responsible. Online retail in general has been outmaneuvering local retail for some time. I mean the fact is that many local bookstores don't offer much of a selection for some of us that have specialized needs. When I need to shop for and order books that aren't available locally, I go online and, to save on shipping, I'll buy whatever else I was going to read anyway.

I think one of the key things independent booksellers need to do to stay alive is sell used books online through Amazon or ABEbooks. If you can't beat them, join them!
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert