Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Hetty46
Hetty46 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
IPad as e-reader

Waiting excitedly for an I Pad to be delivered soon, I am curious to know if IPad users have mastered the art of downloading books to their machine. In the Dutch consumers magazine Consumenten Gids the IPad as ereader was tested and the remark was made that no-one of the team had managed to download books from a paid site, only free books were downloaded. This was published in November 2010. What about people in this community? Does the IPad give you problems?

Thanks.
Hetty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I've never had any problems with getting books on the iPad. Between the Kindle app, iBooks app, etc, it's been easy.

Amazon is probably one of the biggest paid sites to get ebooks and it's easy to get the books. I don't know if Apple has brokered any deals with Dutch book publishers for iBooks yet.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm a tech-tard and I'm able to load books without problem. It was the first thing I did after setting up my iPad about seven months ago. I've not had trouble loading with either wi-fi or 3G, and I've loaded books on at least five reading apps.

If you encounter problems, just ask for help on the forum. There are plenty of helpful people with tech know-how.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I've paid for and downloaded ebooks from Borders-Australia and Amazon-USA without any problems.

Geo-restrictions can be irritating. Does that affect the Dutch?

In the case of an ebook I downloaded from Borders-Australia: I complained to them about format errors in the ebook, and they refunded my money without argument.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Generally it's easy to buy books. iBooks and the Kindle app both make it easy to buy books directly on the iPad -- they download wirelessly and show up within a minute.

Location may be a limitation. If you're in the Netherlands, though, I would assume you would have access to all of the books available in Europe, which would be a lot, I think. Amazon/Kindle has a MUCH bigger selection than iBooks, but both are serviceable.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Hetty46
Hetty46 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I am still a Newbee, bur I understand from the consumers magazine published in NL, that in Europe we can only download epub format
Hetty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetty46 View Post
I am still a Newbee, bur I understand from the consumers magazine published in NL, that in Europe we can only download epub format
Your consumer magazine doesn't seem to be very accurate. If you have Amazon Kindles in your country, you can download the Kindle app and get Kindle books from Amazon.

I'd suggest doing a search of the App Store to see what reader apps are available in your country.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Just to be clear:

Apple's reader app, iBooks, will read ePub and PDF format. The iBookstore sells ePub-format books.

The Kindle app on the iPad will read MOBI and AZW format. The Amazon bookstore sells these formats.

Since the Kindle is sold worldwide, it is clear that you can buy MOBI format books in Europe.

Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about what the magazine said. They seem to be either confused or wrong about how ebooks work.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Here is a link to the Amazon Europe gateway. 3 languages/countries are listed: German, French, and English (UK) are listed.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gateway-eu
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about what the magazine said. They seem to be either confused or wrong about how ebooks work.
Just like most magazine articles!

Last edited by JMikeD; 12-12-2010 at 08:23 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote