Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
cbaehr
Enthusiast
cbaehr began at the beginning.

Device: mac, kindle
Suppose Beethoven had to promote "Ode To Joy?"

Suppose Pianos had just been invented and Beethoven had to promote "Ode to Joy?"
I just read a plea by a Kindle user that said something like: "Please, please, stop all the self-promotion by the authors." I feel deeply for her/him and sympathize. Imagine if, when pianos were first invented, Beethoven and Chopin started posting about the "Ode to Joy" or the "Moonlight Sonata" and begging you to give them a go. "Just listen to a few bars." Well, we wouldn't be calling them giants of culture that's for sure. I have to apologize to all of the "readers" for our shameless self-promotion and for getting on their nerves but what's an independent self-publisher to do?
Thank you for reading.
Consuelo Saah Baehr
http://www.amazon.com/Consuelo-Saah-...ntt_dp_epwbk_0
cbaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Links not available
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
tbrookside
Connoisseur
tbrookside has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Beethoven spent a great deal of his time catering to the desires of his sponsors [such as the Elector of Cologne] and his mentors [such as Haydn].

He had to worry about self-promotion, too, just of a different kind.
tbrookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaehr View Post
I just read a plea by a Kindle user that said something like: "Please, please, stop all the self-promotion by the authors."
I must be missing something--I thought that was why this forum was created--for authors to promote their works, and so those who are interested would know where to look for such. And so those who do not want to read self-promotions can avoid them.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I must be missing something--I thought that was why this forum was created--for authors to promote their works, and so those who are interested would know where to look for such. And so those who do not want to read self-promotions can avoid them.
That's exactly why this Forum was created, and that is why it's going to continue - and with the Posting Guidelines in place and observed

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote