Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: ¿Does your spouse/significant other read for leisure with the same passion as you?
Yes, my spouse/SO is a heavy reader like me, or reads even more than me 19 27.14%
My spouse/SO doesn't read as much as I do, but s/he reads for leisure from time to time 27 38.57%
My spouse/SO doesn't read for leisure at all. 24 34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Does your spouse/SO share your reading passion?

I come from a family where my mother does really read tonnes and tonnes of books. She was the first one with an eReader in the family, a PRS-700 which is still alive and kicking (and long live it so). However, my father does simply not read for leisure. I've never seen him reading a book, but the only thing I've ever seen him reading is medical-related papers and information (he's a doctor). I do believe it is a quite strange gap, and that people who read with a passion do usually mate with each other.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My husband never read a full book/novel just for fun before he met me. Even now, I think he has read only a handful of books and doesn't actively seek out new ones. Despite those few books and the wording of your poll, I would classify him firmly as a non-reader.

I, on the other hand, am here () and had to buy an ebook reader because I couldn't find a good book storage solution. (My husband tends to treat the bookcases as just another wall and often stores boxes and other bulky objects in front of them so that I can't get to them without a lot of hassle. I suppose it it my own fault for keeping them in the basement storage area, but we really don't have the space to put bookcases in any of the main living areas.)

I will be interested to see how your poll shapes up!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
We both read a lot. Fortunately we have similar tastes otherwise I don't think we'd have any space to move!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My wife virtually doesn't read at all.

It would be no exaggeration to say that I read more books last week than she did in the last decade
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
My husband reads occasionally for pleasure and most often his other reading would be news articles.

We both get our news from the net.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My wife virtually doesn't read at all.

It would be no exaggeration to say that I read more books last week than she did in the last decade
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
My husband has perhaps never read a book by choice (assuming he read assignments in school as a child). He reads Time magazine sometimes, news sites on the computer, and sometimes skims through "how-to" type books. I read enough for at least three people, so it all works out!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
My wife reads quite a lot, especially since I got a second ereader, which she uses. She can though go for several days without reading, which I don't think I've done for many years. We also read completely different kinds of stuff - I'm much more of a snob about what I read than she is!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Other than magazines (in paper format) and the odd technical manual, my DH doesn't read at all.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
My husband reads occasionally, but a book can last him nearly a month, whereas I would have it read in 2-3 hours! Otherwise he does read the news and forums which interest him online. My parents follow the same pattern - my mom reads loads, whilst my dad reads occasionally.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
My GF loves reading as much as me, but I can read at my work, babysitting baby criminals in the young offender center on night shift. She, on the other hand, can only read during breaks. I got the best gig that way!

John
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
My husband will read the news on the 'net, the weekend papers, and that's it.

But, he will read complicated brochures on cameras, filters, the whole works.

The bookcase in his computer room is filled with cameras and everything pertaining thereof.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
In 16 years Wendie had read 2 - 10 books Max

Then she bought me a Sony PRS-600

Read a few books on it

Got interested

Saw Adverts for Kindle 3

Got Very Interested

Bought me one

Bought herself one

NOW can't get her head out of her BOOKS

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Wifie reads only when we are on holiday, 4-5 books per year top?
I cannot classify her as
Quote:
doesn't read as much as I do, but s/he reads for leisure from time to time
Not enough time? I think it clearly shows in out salaries. Hers is twice as big as mine. Maybe if I were not so lazy, read less/no fiction but more technical IT literature I would achieve more? Then I would be a different person...
I used to think that not reading books is wrong. I don't think so any more.

Quote:
Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My partner probably reads 1-2 traditional DPB a year, but she reads all the time. Comic books and original fiction (mostly on the net). I would say she is just as literate as I am, just in a different way. I've read 83 books this year, according to my last GR count, but my partner has spent just as many hours reading as I have.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote