Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Dan de V
Avid Reader
Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: PRS 350 & HTC Legend
Best Way to Authorize a new Sony Reader?

My apologies up front as I am sure I am repeating what has been said many times before but I just can't find a decent thread that explains the options and best one to take.

I have finally got myself a Sony PRS350 and I would like to authorise it with ADE but before I do I want to make sure that I do it right 1st time.

I have been on the mobileread forums on and off over the last couple of years. From what I have read I got the impression there are many ways to get it wrong and end up in a mess. In an effort to try and avoid that I am looking for some hard earned instruction from the pros out there.

I should point out I have a library of about 250 books that I have bought over the years (.prc & .pdb) that I have stripped of DRM and converted in Calibre to epub. So I want to organise my books mainly with Calibre. Having read a few stories about the sony software I am wary of installing that. I would rather just authorise with ADE (which I have installed and I have an Adobe ID for) and not install the sony library software at all. But how. When I plug in my PRS350 ADE seems to take no notice (or if I start ADE after plugging in my PRS350). I have transferred all my non DRM epubs via Calibre with no problem to ereader but how do I get ADE to "see" my PRS350 and ask me if I want to authorise it?

Thanks
Dan de V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can force ADE to authorize a tethered reader by using Alt+Shift+D. (If that sequence of keys doesn't work, try a search on the forums; it's on here somewhere)

Otherwise ADE does the authorization when you first download a DRM'd book via ADE.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Dan de V
Avid Reader
Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: PRS 350 & HTC Legend
doreenjoy,
Thank you for the information. I tried your suggestion of ALt+Shift+D and it didn't work. ADE just didn't want to acknowledge my PRS350. I searched on the forums and didn't find any other possible shortcut commands that would work.

So I tried what you suggest 2nd which was to download a DRM book that I bought from Books on Board. That went into ADE with no problems. But again ADE didn't acknowledge my PRS350 (I did all combinations; plug in PRS350 while ADE on, turn on ADE while PRS350 plugged in, try the shortcut you suggested). Note that if I started up Calibre it had no problem recognizing my PRS350.

Having done all of that I then decided that my problem was more related to drivers. So I took the plunge and did what I said I wasn't going to and installed the dreaded Sony Library software. As soon as it was installed, I shut it down and opened up ADE again (with PRS350 still plugged in). This time it could see my Sony Reader with no problem and I had the option to authorize the reader through ADE, which I did. I then transferred my DRM epub using ADE to my PRS350. No problem I could now read DRM (Adept) epubs on my PRS350.

Now to get rid of the Sony software. So I uninstalled it and interestingly enough when I uninstalled the software there was also an entry for "PRS-500 USB driver" in my programs/applications list which hadn't been there before. I obviously left that in place.

Then I bought another book from Books on Board with DRM and downloaded it into ADE. Interestingly ADE now didn't recognize my PRS350 anymore (since uninstalling the sony library software) i.e. a PRS350 item didn't come up under the bookshelves list. So I had to transfer that file to my reader by copying and pasting from the relevant ADE folder on my computer to the relevant folder on my reader using windows file manager / explorer. Because my PRS350 had already been authorized it was able to read this 2nd book without problem too.

So in summary, based on what I have seen you must have the sony library software loaded when you authorize your reader but straight after authorization you can uninstall the software and work with copy and past or Calibre to transfer your epubs to your reader. Is my conclusion correct? I leave that to the experts? But this workflow worked for me
Dan de V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Using Reader with ADE on Windows requires Sony Reader Library installed, I thought this is mentioned in most places.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
At least you've seen that the problem is with your Reader, which narrows the variables a bit.

Having the Sony software installed shouldn't be an issue; you don't have to use it just because it's installed (unless you're using a DRM'd book). You can turn off the Auto-launch When Reader Is Connected feature, and you won't be bothered by the software starting up whenever you connect your device.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert