Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
abrogard
Zealot
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Conversion Has Dark Patches for images..

I am using a win10 pc.

I have an epub document which I asked calibre to convert to pdf for me and it did the operation without any apparent problem.

But when I come to view it I see that the titles are there plain to see but the 'chapter' content is just a page sized dark area.

It is a songbook. the 'titles' are the names of the songs. What I'm calling 'the chapters' would be the actual manuscript music for the song.

I have had this kind of thing before: pdf files which acrobat and other things cannot open without these missing black areas.

I used to think they were corrupt files but have since found a prog which will open them every time without a problem - displaying the missing 'black' content.

I can try that prog on this .pdf file if I know how to get the file out of calibre and into another dir somewhere?

And any ideas of what's wrong?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the RH side of the main Calibre window, just under the cover picture, you'll see 'Path: Click to open'. Do so, and you'll find the converted file.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
abrogard
Zealot

Thanks for that. No trouble. And sure enough when I open it with this other prog it's all there... the music, the score..

So there's nothing wrong with the file, Calibre did a good job of the conversion..

But Calibre can't open it/display it correctly.. There's some configuration tweak... ?
Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
But Calibre can't open it/display it correctly.. There's some configuration tweak... ?
When you open a book with the calibre viewer, it does a conversion to a common format. You probably don't want to do that for a PDF and should use a a PDF viewer. You can set what book formats are viewed with the calibre viewer in the preferences. On the "Behaviour" page, in the "Use internal viewer for" list, uncheck PDF. Calibre will then pass PDFs to the OS to open with the current default PDF viewer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
abrogard
Zealot

It opens by default in acrobat. I made it open in Calibre on purpose when it didn't display correctly in Acrobat.

Because Calibre created it.

But it didn't help.

I mentioned earlier that I've met this before. Now also with a Calibre creation

The resolution to this is probably beyond the orbit of these columns but it was worth asking.

Advert
Old 12-28-2019, 02:18 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@abrogard - try calibre's Open With feature to open the PDF with 'the other' program, you can access calibre's Open With by right clicking PDF in the Book Details panel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-28 181259.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	175915

You could then assign a key sequence to Preferences->Shortcuts->Open With->Open PDF files with 'other program'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're being coy about what the 'other program' is. What is it?

But if Calibre is outputting a PDF that Acrobat can't read, there's something wrong.

Make the original epub and the converted PDF available to us and this can probably be sorted out.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote