Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
Heather O'Sull
Heather O'Sull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil Metadata

Back in the mists of time (probably about 10 years ago), I remember that editing an epub in Sigil resulted in Sigil adding some of its own fields to the metadata. I've been reviewing epubs edited with recent versions of Sigil, and I don't seem to see this happening anymore. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this? I know that what I really need to do is a line by line before and after code comparison, and I will do it soon, but I don't have time right now. Thanks
Heather O'Sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:32 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The only thing Sigil ever added to the metadata that was not required by the epub spec was Sigil Version information that was being used.

The updating of the modification date is actually required by the epub spec to work with the unique identifier to uniquely identify an epub release.

There is an environment variable you can set to disable the adding of the Sigil version. But many petty Linux distributions disable it by default for no truly valid reason.

Sad really.

They use an open source tool to help them produce something but want to provide it no credit.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-30-2023 at 06:25 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #3
Heather O'Sull
Heather O'Sull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Kevin - this is super helpful. If that's the only tag, I have no problem with it remaining in. For some reason I thought I recalled it adding more bits and pieces, but as I say it was a lot of years ago and sometimes I can't recall what I ate for breakfast.

Thanks again for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The only thing Sigil ever added to the metadata that was not required by the epub spec was Sigil Version information that was being used.

The updating of the modification date is actually required by the epub spec to work with the unique identifier to uniquely identify an epub release.

There is an environment variable you can set to disable the adding of the Sigil version. But many petty Linux distributions disable it by default for no truly valid reason.

Sad really.

They use an open source tool to help them produce something but want to provide it no credit.
Heather O'Sull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:18 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You may be thinking of Calibre which adds a few more tags. Not too many, but a few.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote