Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #16
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Not long time ago EU commission (one of the many ) has demanded phone manufacturers to switch to standard chargers. Later they agreed to use micro-USB starting from January 2011.

So, Sony using micro-USB in ebook readers makes perfect sense and is actually nice of them.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Sony don´t like standard USB-Chargers

Yes,
but only when every USB-Charger is really able to charge a Sony E-Reader.
And how you can read in some posts above in this thread and also here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98208

The reality is another!
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
Yes,
but only when every USB-Charger is really able to charge a Sony E-Reader.
And how you can read in some posts above in this thread and also here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98208

The reality is another!
That link is to a thread that predated most of us having our 350s. So far the only AC chargers that I've read that don't work or Apple ones and a Rocketfish one. No surprise with Rocketfish as their stuff seems to be rather shoddy. Also no surprise that Apple would have a proprietary charger that is different from all others in some way as they are uber greedy. However, many of us have posted that our cellular phone chargers and AC adapters for USB cables work. So obviously there are several inexpensive solutions other than the expensive Sony charger.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
My Apple iPod AC to USB charger, Model No A1205 W005B050 works just fine!

http://www.everypowercable.com/ipod1.html
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

So You think,
I don´t run a risk of destroying the PRS-350 when using a standard USB-Charger (maybe one for an Sony Ericsson cellphone) ?
(When I got mine, I suddenly want to start using it, instead of starting trouble-shooting...)

Last edited by Romiman; 09-18-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Considering the Apple iPod charger gives out the same voltage as a regular computer USB port, it should be safe.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
My PowerMonkey charger with the micro USB tip also charges the 350 without issue.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
Romiman
Connoisseur

OK, I´m gonna try a simple general micro-USB-Charger...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
My Apple iPod AC to USB charger, Model No A1205 W005B050 works just fine!

http://www.everypowercable.com/ipod1.html
I tried an LG phone charger (5.1 Volts) on my wife's 350. The red charging light comes on but it doesn't say charging on the screen like it does when plugged into the USB port on my computer. Is this normal?
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes... it's the whole point of a charger... plug into computer and it says charging and you can't use it!!! Plug into charger and it charges (red light) but you can still use it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
I tried an LG phone charger (5.1 Volts) on my wife's 350. The red charging light comes on but it doesn't say charging on the screen like it does when plugged into the USB port on my computer. Is this normal?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Yes... it's the whole point of a charger... plug into computer and it says charging and you can't use it!!! Plug into charger and it charges (red light) but you can still use it...
Ok. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
I can't get the 5v charger that came with my iPhone to work. It says "USB connected" above a blank screen for about a minute, then "Charging stopped. The reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected." The charging light doesn't come on either. Same thing happens with my iPad charger and the Rocketfish USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.

I have the same blank screen "USB connected" issue on my wife's PRS-650 with a USB-AC adapter from RadioShack (aka The Source by CC).

Here's a link to the one that DOESN'T seem to work...
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1419902

slow

Last edited by slow1234; 09-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Glad I checked the forum today as I just got off the phone with Sony to make sure the barrel type charger I bought for my 300 and case with light would work with the new 350. They said they would and no changes were made to the exterior of the case. I have yet to call Sony and get any sort of believable reply, ever. I have an apple 4th gen ipod charger that I believe is 5 volt output and I have a usb to mini cable. Any real info on the case with light fitment. If I have to shell out 179.00 plus $30. charger, and $ 40 for case it's bye to Sony and I think I might try a nook for the larger screen and wireless. And you think Apple is bad. Sony support is non existent in all my experiences.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhden View Post
Glad I checked the forum today as I just got off the phone with Sony to make sure the barrel type charger I bought for my 300 and case with light would work with the new 350. They said they would and no changes were made to the exterior of the case. I have yet to call Sony and get any sort of believable reply, ever. I have an apple 4th gen ipod charger that I believe is 5 volt output and I have a usb to mini cable. Any real info on the case with light fitment. If I have to shell out 179.00 plus $30. charger, and $ 40 for case it's bye to Sony and I think I might try a nook for the larger screen and wireless. And you think Apple is bad. Sony support is non existent in all my experiences.
I have a 505 that came with the barrel type charger but it won't work on my wife's 350 because it takes a micro usb charger. She uses her LG phone charger for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #30
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
No Place To Connect Barrel on 650 350 Same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhden View Post
There isn't anywhere to connect a barrel power connector to my 650. I understand that's true for 350. There is a micro[?] USB connector that is reasonably standard way to connect charger to the new Sonys. I charge with a $2.99[including shipping] USB Wall charger. It is marked " iPod USB Power Adapter Model NO: IP 3 in 1" My Wall charger has a full size female USB connection. The cable changes that to a male Micro[?]USB. Works great. I think I bought it from Meritline.com.[Maybe EBAY] They seem to have Wall chargers like mine for UK & the rest of Europe also. Don't recall their price but it was inexpensive.

I haven't seen much discussion here about conversion adapters.For those with chargers with barrel connectors- I would be surprised if there isn't a barrel to USB adapter somewhere. Need to be careful with which pins have right connections etc. SORRY I CAN'T POINT TO PLACES TO BUY WHAT YOU NEED.The little gray cells don't work so well any longer But this should/may/might help you decide between Kindle & Sony on the charging issue.

This one on EBAY looks the same except it is UK version.
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-AC-USB-Power-Adapter-Charger-MP3-Mp4-iPod-t37-/200522242328?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash= item2eb00e9918
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote