Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2020, 04:57 AM   #61
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
@SeaBookGuy
People are working on updating DeDRM to work with calibre 5/Python 3 over at Harper's GitHub. I imagine any update to work with KFX beyond Kindle for PC/Mac 1.26 probably won't happen until after that.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:36 AM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Thanks. That worked for me. I had to do several things:

* Install Kindle for PC version 1.24.3 or less. DO NOT UPDATE
* Disable automatic updates for Kindle. DO NOT UPDATE.
* Create empty text file [KindleDirectory]\update (no extension)
* Delete or rename file [KindleDirectory]\application\render-test.exe
* Install Calibre 4.23 or less. DO NOT UPDATE to version 5.
* Install Apprentice Alf's DRM plugin from https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Apprentice Alf's DRM plugin is not currently compatible with Calibre version 5

I wonder how long we will be able to get away with not updating Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Amazon is already trying to force you to update.

**What will we do when Amazon stopps supporting Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Any ideas?**

I think that covers it.
I assume there is a typo in the bolded part? the file should be called "updates"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #63
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I wonder how long we will be able to get away with not updating Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Amazon is already trying to force you to update.

**What will we do when Amazon stopps supporting Kindle for PC v1.24.3? Any ideas?**
I buy my books from kobo. The only time I buy a book from amazon, is when it's not available at kobo.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #64
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I buy my books from kobo. The only time I buy a book from amazon, is when it's not available at kobo.
Same. If Amazon makes DRM removal too difficult, I will stop buying from them. As I did with B&N when they made it increasingly difficult.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Same. If Amazon makes DRM removal too difficult, I will stop buying from them. As I did with B&N when they made it increasingly difficult.

Yes. Even though I prefer to buy from Kobo, I’d buy from Amazon when it was cheaper because it was easier. I’ll just start doing the price match instead.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #66
julesy
hedgehogs love to read
julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Kobo H2O, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
It seems to be quite often that the books I want to buy are not at kobo. And dealing with the dead promo codes has deterred me from using kobo more often. So far this year, I've bought 3 books from Kobo (2 were free), 8 from Amazon and 6 from B&N. Otherwise, my 6 library systems often fulfill me with books I need. I also so far (knock on wood) have been able to use Calibre to deal with B&N books.
julesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I buy most of my tradpubs from Google Play, but I also buy many Amazon exclusives. It would be a sad day when I could no longer buy from Amazon. There is the USB transfer option, of course, but who knows how long that will last.

The one thing I will never, ever do is buy a book with unremovable DRM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #68
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I buy most of my tradpubs from Google Play, but I also buy many Amazon exclusives. It would be a sad day when I could no longer buy from Amazon. There is the USB transfer option, of course, but who knows how long that will last.

The one thing I will never, ever do is buy a book with unremovable DRM.
Amazon Does Not Tell you which format you are buying. What I found is the AWZ are turning into that KX format when it gets to Calibre!! Crazy!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Amazon Does Not Tell you which format you are buying. What I found is the AWZ are turning into that KX format when it gets to Calibre!! Crazy!
There are ways to avoid KFX.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #70
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There are ways to avoid KFX.
HOW???????????????
Old 11-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #71
lkmiller
Laura

See this post.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #72
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Nothing working for me. sigh
Old 11-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #73
lkmiller
Laura

May have to ask over at Alf's blog or Harper's GitHub then.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #74
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I doubt that the updates folder would be hidden. Perhaps a different technique is used for handling updates when K4PC is installed for all users.

I am out of ideas.
Finally got your revised batch file to work. Uninstalled and reloaded my updated Calibre back to 4.23 and reinstalled the needed plug-in. Got the original Kindle 1.17.exe and de-registered my current copy and uninstalled it. Loaded the d/l 1.17 file, re-registered it, ran the batch file which performed instantaneously and flawlessly.

All now is working as it once did. Am culling any recent Kindle d/l's that came downstream in the new format and reloading them in the older straight AZW format. Once that is caught up, I am back to a reasoned normality!

Thanks for your efforts!!!

Last edited by p38lightning; 11-06-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling correction
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #75
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My guess is that it will not be long before Amazon blocks re-registrations of old software versions like 1.17. They will follow that by blocking old versions totally, regardless of previous registration. I think the recent forced upgrade is just the first shot in their salvo.

"Upgrade or it won't work anymore" is a common software distributor tactic. Even more so when the original software was free, and the upgrade is free too. "I can't upgrade because XYZ". The only value for XYZ that I am aware of is "I want to DeDRM my purchases, and the upgraded version doesn't support that".

I don't like it. But I can see why they'd do it. It will be harder to force an upgrade of an older Kindle - physical piece of hardware - though. But it can be done. Tried to buy a new movie for your LaserDisc player recently?

Time will tell.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update