Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
Collections Issue

I am having a problem with Collections. I use my SD card to store all the books. I have the latest firmware. I use Calibre to manage and transfer the books. I have edited the tags in Calibre. On my T1 in the Collections the tags created in Calibre appear correctly as a Collection even showing the SD card for where they are stored.

But it shows 'no books' for each of the Collection.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have the opposite problem with my collections - I have more books in the collection than have that tag in Calibre. I have Calibre manage collections automatically and it comes and goes. The issue is discussed in this thread and one of the linked posts suggests it is a Sony database bug.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quick update. I removed all books from the main database, formated the SD card, got the latest Calibre 8.35 and loaded my books all into the SD card via Calibre. Collections do show up like before, this time I have the book count. When I select on one collection it lists the correct number of books but instead of title I get 'removing'.

I did follow the link, thank you, so far I could not see a definitive solution, only as you point out it is a Sony database bug, that Sony does not seem inclined to address.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
There are issues with collections and books transferred to the SD card via calibre. I thought that the T1 driver in calibre had been updated and the latest version should work-around the database issue but maybe it's not incorporated yet.

Here is a post which describes why some of the issues happen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=317

Here is a post which recommends a solution to prevent database conflicts. I don't know if it will help your specific problem, but it's probably worth a try.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=303
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Bookworm_Girl, do you have issues with your collections?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Bear 100
Enthusiast

I tried the tip of adding manually to the SD card as per the link and it did not work for me.
Perhaps there is a missing step in the directions (such as shutting down or formating the SD card) that is missing.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an SD card in my T1, but I haven't transferred any books to it through calibre yet. I'm still in the process of transitioning my books over from the Sony software to calibre and my main memory is starting to get full.

I was going to follow the recommendation in that post. I would reformat the SD card. That will wipe everything clean. Then transfer over a book via Windows Explorer / Mac Finder because that will force the T1 to recreate a fresh books.db which in theory should then properly set the database index and prevent conflicts.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Bear 100
Enthusiast

Bookworm_Girl I followed the instructions:
1) I did a SD format.
2) Rebooted the T1
3) Connected via USB and transfered a book via Windows Explorer
4) Disconnected allowed the T1 to complete "loading"
5) Rebooted the T1
6) Connected via USB and loaded the books again via Calibre.

Now I am back to the Collection names being displayed, with 'No Books' showing.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

That's frustrating. I would suggest to post your issue in the thread that had the suggestion on workarounds. Maybe there is another issue going on, and Kolenka might be able to understand it.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
Bookworm_Girl I followed the instructions:
1) I did a SD format.
2) Rebooted the T1
3) Connected via USB and transfered a book via Windows Explorer
4) Disconnected allowed the T1 to complete "loading"
5) Rebooted the T1
6) Connected via USB and loaded the books again via Calibre.

Now I am back to the Collection names being displayed, with 'No Books' showing.
So, this bug should be "fixed" at this point. To get any further, I'd need the following (which I've posted up in the other thread a few times):

1) Version of Calibre you are using.
2) A copy of the SD card's books.db after Calibre has written the books there, but BEFORE you disconnect it.
3) A copy of the SD card's books.db after you've disconnected it and gotten the empty collections.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Bear 100
Enthusiast

I do have Calibre 8.35 and the latest Sony firmware.

I was doing just as you asked.
1) Formated the SD card
2) loaded books from Calibre
3) Copied the books.db before disconnecting
4) Disconnected

At this point I checked the collections, and MAGIC, they were correct. Not sure what caused this. I have done this same process at least 5 times and it has not worked, now it works. Nor do I want to mess with it now that it works. I will send the books.db if the problem re-appears.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
One, albeit tiresome, workaround is to use Calibre and the T1 with the card inserted. I never formated any SD-card. The two I use are both inexpensive Kat 4.

The card shows up separately in Calibre and you can put on it what you want and the card will remember the collection you wanted it in. After that the reader will show only the the books in a given collection which are in the reader's main memory, plus those on the inserted card.

Using the Sony Reader Software after that won't change anything, it dosn't matter if the card is inserted or not(I'm guessing Calibre overrides it with its metadata, or Sony ignores it, or both). Now I wouldn't suggest pulling or inserting cards while the extremely slow Sony software is working, but I tried it anyway and nothing was lost or "unsynced". If you stick the card back in and smoke one, everyting's back to normal!

One more note: I haven't even tried using Sony software to manage my books and the last thing I'll do is to try doing it on a 6" black and white screen. BUT, the built-in firmware update has served me quite well, twice. So, I understand why some people are keeping their Sony software(me too, but maybe I shouldn't).
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote