Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
Nook STR: Display Issue - Artifacts from previous pages.

I'm the proud owner of a new Nook STR, my first e-reader & first e-ink device.

On a few occasions, I have experienced strange display behavior when changing pages. Previous pages appear as artifacts, seeming to underlay the current page. Subsequent pages turns sometimes appear collect multiple pages...until the screen looks like an obvious mess, as if trying to read a stack of transparent old school overhead pages. Then another turn seems to clear the mess.

This has happened while reading epubs & while navigating other non-content areas such as initial setup where this problem was first noticed. It is more obvious when viewing text after non-text such as book cover image. The most obvious mess was encountered after checking my email (!) using the hidden web browser which is full of bugs (see other posts for more info).

Is this normal behavior for an e-ink device?

Also, when reading epubs the text becomes less crisp than the previous pages. The text appears legible but not crisp with tiny portions of the individual letters seeming to be "faded". I'm wondering if this is another form of the issue above.

SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
There has been much speculation about the cause of this. Some theorize that it is the result of the STR not refreshing every time you turn the page. This leads to faster page turns but is possibly the cause of the ghosting you are seeing. Currently, I don't think there is a fix for it.

Since other e-ink readers refresh every time you do something, this problem is not seen on them.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
SteveDuck, you might consider exchanging the device for a new one. This has been seen in other ereaders, and were due to a faulty batch of ereaders. This might just be a faulty unit.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
That does not sound normal. I have a Nook Touch, and at worst if I hold it in a strong light at the right angle I can just barely see a hint of a ghost of the previous page's text, if it didn't do a full black flash on the page turn (the Nook Touch does not do a full refresh on every page turn, though it's not as predictable as "every 6" as you see stated in some places - I sometimes have it do it every page turn, sometimes every 6. I don't know if it's deciding based on content or what).

It's only really noticeable to me if the previous page had some large text like a chapter title on it.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Apparently the lack of flash has nothing to do with turn speeds. It doesn't page any faster. Just suppose to be less jarring for people.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
I first reported this on another thread and even posted a picture. I don't think it is a defective device. I think this is due to the lack of refresh on every page turn. It is more noticeable in direct sunlight. I was reading outside today and it was doing it constantly and it was very noticeable. It is very consistent, once the page refreshes, all the ghosting is gone. I agree the text only looks crisp after a full refresh. I hope they fix this with and update soon.

It seems to be pretty common

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...s/td-p/1054710

Seems like Kindle 2 used to have this problem. Read this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...p/t-40232.html

It seems to be a software issue, so it shouldn't be long before B&N releases the first update to fix this. Hopefully!!!

Last edited by negris123; 06-08-2011 at 10:02 PM.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I first reported this on another thread and even posted a picture. I don't think it is a defective device. I think this is due to the lack of refresh on every page turn. It is more noticeable in direct sunlight. I was reading outside today and it was doing it constantly and it was very noticeable. It is very consistent, once the page refreshes, all the ghosting is gone. I agree the text only looks crisp after a full refresh. I hope they fix this with and update soon.

It seems to be pretty common

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...s/td-p/1054710

Seems like Kindle 2 used to have this problem. Read this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc...p/t-40232.html

It seems to be a software issue, so it shouldn't be long before B&N releases the first update to fix this. Hopefully!!!
I had this issue when reading outdoors in a very warm day. I wonder if it is temperature related, that was the one and only time I saw the issue.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I had this issue when reading outdoors in a very warm day. I wonder if it is temperature related, that was the one and only time I saw the issue.
It could be. That is their major selling point for eink, though, that you can read comfortably in direct sunlight, yet the problem becomes exacerbated under those conditions. I still think a full page refresh would fix it. It should be optional, a setting that you can turn on/off, so that maybe when you are indoors, you don't have to refresh everytime and if you are reading outdoors, do a refresh at every page turn.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
Also, when reading epubs the text becomes less crisp than the previous pages. The text appears legible but not crisp with tiny portions of the individual letters seeming to be "faded". I'm wondering if this is another form of the issue above.
I have not had the ghosting problem, but I have noticed what you say about the letters being faded and kind of ragged in spots. I am thinking of bringing my nook to the store to compare it against the display model to decided whether I have a problem or if it just always looks this way.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
lisadawn
lisadawn began at the beginning.

Device: original kindle,k3,sony 530,classic nook(sold), nc(sold)nook touch
i have several readers and this happens at times on all of them.
lisadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
negris123
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadawn View Post
i have several readers and this happens at times on all of them.
But compared to the original nook, this is a new issue I didn't experience with the original.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree that I did not have this problem with the Classic Nook, but it is somewhat reassuring to hear that it is common on other readers. I wonder if it is just something that happens especially with pearl screens. I noticed right away that the new Touch screen's characters were not as "smooth" looking as on the Classic, as though they had made them sharper on the Touch at the expensive of smoothness. So this ragged look may be related to that.

If this is the only "problem" I have and I don't have extreme ghosting as others are reporting, I think I'll assume my device is behaving normally.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I agree that I did not have this problem with the Classic Nook, but it is somewhat reassuring to hear that it is common on other readers. I wonder if it is just something that happens especially with pearl screens. I noticed right away that the new Touch screen's characters were not as "smooth" looking as on the Classic, as though they had made them sharper on the Touch at the expensive of smoothness. So this ragged look may be related to that.

If this is the only "problem" I have and I don't have extreme ghosting as others are reporting, I think I'll assume my device is behaving normally.
I still see the outline of the airplane or wifi symbols when I turn them on or off on the nook classic.

goes away after a page or two refreshes, but image retention is a flaw of eink. Reminds of plasma HDTV's in way, espcially in the early days , when IR was horrible on Plasma's.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
...it is somewhat reassuring to hear that it is common on other readers...
I never experienced the random letter fading issue on K3, KDXG, Sony 350, or Sony 950. I would say take it back while it is still well within the return without questions period and exchange it for another one. Occasional light ghosting on the other hand is common on all eInks I've ever owned, but usually it is very light and not a problem.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
I'm the proud owner of a new Nook STR, my first e-reader & first e-ink device.

On a few occasions, I have experienced strange display behavior when changing pages. Previous pages appear as artifacts, seeming to underlay the current page. Subsequent pages turns sometimes appear collect multiple pages...until the screen looks like an obvious mess, as if trying to read a stack of transparent old school overhead pages. Then another turn seems to clear the mess.

This has happened while reading epubs & while navigating other non-content areas such as initial setup where this problem was first noticed. It is more obvious when viewing text after non-text such as book cover image. The most obvious mess was encountered after checking my email (!) using the hidden web browser which is full of bugs (see other posts for more info).

Some "ghosting" is totally normal, but one page looking less or more crisp than previous, no.

What's different on your Nook Touch vs my Kindle 3 or someone else's Sony is the page refresh rate; it's less frequent on the new Nook. Not sure if that's part of the problem but if you can post two pictures here, will help us to troubleshoot the issue.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote