Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you can get library books on the Kindle. you have to load them to your computer, and there are a few steps, but it is doable
I have a Kindle first generation and would love to know how to download DRM protected books from my library to my computer and then put on my kindle.
robslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by robslp View Post
I have a Kindle first generation and would love to know how to download DRM protected books from my library to my computer and then put on my kindle.
When the K1 first came out, we were able to post complete directions, including links to scripts. Amazon made us take them down, but scripts are running around somewhere.

You have to download any library mobipocket e-book to your computer......run kindlefix, then upload book to your K1 with the usb cord. The book will still automatically "close" at the end of the loan period. Takes about 45 seconds.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
I thought I had given a relatively straight answer above
You did, but I'm not sure that everyone here understands that you know things.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester
I thought I had given a relatively straight answer above
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
You did, but I'm not sure that everyone here understands that you know things.
Yeah, that's my fault for forgetting to put a full signature in when I make pronouncements.

--
Jim Lester
Senior Programmer - Digital Publishing
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
ps56k
ps56k began at the beginning.

Device: still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is confusing. The Nook fully supports "sideloading" standard Adobe DRMed ePubs and PDFs. In other words, you copy these to the Nook using USB, rather than wireless. This includes Adobe lending library ebooks. At least, we assume so - it won't be certain until someone actually gets this to work on a Nook.

If your EInk device has been registered to your AdobeID, then these same ebook files will work on the Reader and you just need to copy them over. Desktop ADE can copy them for you, or you do this yourself via the USB filesystem.
The key point here is.... HOW do you, or can you, register your Nook into the Adobe ID ?

My understanding is that every Reader device has a Physical ID (PID), and this PID is either used to encrypt the ebook DRM, or register the PID as part of a family of devices authorized to open/access/read a specific ebook DRM.

I too have been totally confused by the partial and incomplete answers to the question.

We all understand that the Nook may not "directly" talk to the Overdrive lending library, but then....

If we use Adobe Digital Editions to checkout and download a DRM protected epub or DRM protected PDF, can we then "sideload" that ebook onto the Nook ?

If so - HOW is the DRM maintained with respect to the Nook and it's PID ?

And just out of curiousity, how is it then any different for the Sony or the Kindle ?

Again, my understanding is that the Sony has desktop software to "register" the Sony Reader PID with Adobe DRM..... and both the Kindle and the Nook do not have this EXTRA software puzzle piece.... therefore can't open any sideloaded DRM protected content.

SO, in summary, HOW would a Nook become "registered" for sideloaded DRM content?

Last edited by ps56k; 11-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps56k View Post
SO, in summary, HOW would a Nook become "registered" for sideloaded DRM content?
Plug the device in (USB cable) to you computer and the launch ADE. ADE will detect the device and ask you if you want to authorize it.

At that point you will be able to copy content over.

This is the current behavior for a COOL-er, or Opus, or any other RMSDK device (except Sony because they are slightly different), and it will be the same for the Nook
Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Plug the device in (USB cable) to you computer and the launch ADE. ADE will detect the device and ask you if you want to authorize it.

This is the current behavior for a COOL-er, or Opus, or any other RMSDK device (except Sony because they are slightly different), and it will be the same for the Nook
See EZ Reader Device Help at Books on Board for this same information, but with screenshots. The Nook should work exactly the same as the EZReader for Adobe content.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
ps56k

Quote:
Plug the device in (USB cable) to your computer and the launch ADE. ADE will detect the device and ask you if you want to authorize it.
OK... thanks -
That simple protocol handshake exchange has not yet been mentioned over on the B&N forum... I had thought that the Sony method of using it's own desktop software, was the only "handshake" method between the device and the AdobeID.
Sounds like the USB & Device ID hardware handshake for loading OS drivers.

SO - I'm guessing that the Kindle does not participate in the RMSDK handshake protocol to discover the PID (will have to read about that) ?

BTW - I don't see any real command structure menu in ADE ?
Does ADE appear differently when a Reader is physically attached ?

And lastly - what about the whole topic of Overdrive DRM library books vs the Nook ?

OH GREAT - I guess it's a real mess with several different DRM approaches....
No wonder we're confused as to what is actually supported on the Nook...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60635

Last edited by ps56k; 11-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Jim Lester
Evangelist

The nook (like the rest of the devices) will appear as a folder in ADE.

The kindle does not support Adobe DRM, and so is not supported by ADE.

Adobe DRM'd documents from Overdrive will work (this is the majority of library books, btw).
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
DrBuckTinkler
DrBuckTinkler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
My god, thank you for this post. I have been all over trying to figure out how this was going to work and had gotten several varying answers from BN. Was even wavering on my purchase due to the inability to get a straight answer. Thanks all SO MUCH, I literally love you all for this.
DrBuckTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #26
ps56k

Quote:
The Nook (like the rest of the devices) will appear as a folder in ADE. The Kindle does not support Adobe DRM, and so is not supported by ADE.
Adobe DRM'd documents from Overdrive will work (this is the majority of library books, btw).
from the Adobe Digital Editions Help online webpage -
.... creates new "bookshelf" ... unless you mean a Windows folder like under /My Documents/ or /My Digital Editions/
---

Snipet from online Help - hopefully substituting Nook for Sony Reader

After authorization, the Sony® Reader appears as a new bookshelf in your library. You can transfer items to and from the Sony® Reader bookshelf just as you do with other bookshelves in your library. You can read (as well as bookmark) books that are on your Sony® Reader or your own computer. You can even read books off of your friend's Sony® Reader (though you cannot transfer books from his Sony® Reader to your computer or vice versa).

Last edited by ps56k; 11-02-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
jzspeer
jzspeer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hi Jim,
I'm way behind the times on the Nook and ADE, but I just wanted to say thanks. I got my Nook a few days ago, and thanks to you (and Google for finding this stream), I successfully transferred an ADE DRM EPUB library book from my local library to my Nook. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I called Nook support and they said NOTHING about having my Nook already plugged in and THEN opening ADE, they didn't really have a clue. I emailed Adobe help, but haven't heard back.
So, I'm here to say that it works. I've opened up the book on my Nook and it all looks good. This opens up a whole new world of possibility for me and my Nook.
Keep up the great work!
jzspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #28
tukatz
tukatz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I 'checked out' an Adobe PDF ebook from my library and then connected my Nook to my laptop and launched Adobe Digital Edition. I clicked on the Library View icon in the upper left and the book cover showed up in the large right hand pane. My Nook was listed in the narrower left hand pane. I clicked on the book cover image and dragged it over and dropped it on the listing entry for my Nook. It is as simple as that.

As I understand it, when the check out period expires your Nook will no longer let you access the book. If you return it early using ADE on your laptop, the next time you connect your Nook it will update the status of the book. I don't know if it will delete the physical file from your Nook, but I suspect it does not.

As to Nook support, I gave up after holding for 30 minutes on the phone and emailed them my question about MP3 files. I have had no response. We are not impressed.
tukatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #29
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have successfully transferred an Adobe PDF library book to my nook using ADE also! WHen you plug in the nook with ADE running you just have to click to authorize it (ADE prompted me) and then the nook shows up just like a "bookshelf" on the "library" page of ADE. You can drag the library book to the nook "bookshelf". Eject the nook, go to My Documents, and check for new content and it should be there. Unfortunately when reading it looks kind of fugly or very small, depending on the font size you use on the nook, which appears to be the choice you get with pdfs. I'm hoping the library gets more epubs which look sooooo much better.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #30
jennifermcb
jennifermcb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 & Nook
I'm having major issues with ADE and library books. Nook is authorized but when I drag books onto it, the software is putting them in the /digital editions folder on my nook instead of the My Documents folder. When I check for new content, it doesn't show up. I've also tried copying the downloaded book directly to the My Documents folder on the nook, but it still doesn't show up when I check for new content. This is a bit frustrating.
jennifermcb is offline   Reply With Quote