Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
pipistrelosone
pipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy Configuraton file explained

Hello,
I'm looking for an explanation of the settings available in the config file for a Kobo Aura HD: something of the type
[Section] #this section is intended...
Setting1 #this setting does/provide...
. . .
. . .
Someone, please, could provide me with?
Thanks A LOT in advance!
pipistrelosone

Last edited by pipistrelosone; 08-10-2015 at 03:20 PM.
pipistrelosone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
karlnapf
Enthusiast
karlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy bluekarlnapf can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura One
look:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260100
karlnapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't think anyone has written down what each section is for. And, to be honest, each of the sections and options are reasonably well named. Most of the interesting sections/options have been discussed here. The rest should probably be left alone.

But, what are you actually after? And why? If you want to know something specific, ask away and someone might be able to answer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
pipistrelosone
pipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy bluepipistrelosone can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Unhappy Probably it's true but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think anyone has written down what each section is for. And, to be honest, each of the sections and options are reasonably well named. Most of the interesting sections/options have been discussed here. The rest should probably be left alone.

But, what are you actually after? And why? If you want to know something specific, ask away and someone might be able to answer.
... only for users having some experience, wich it's not me And read all th threads picking here and there bits of the information about seems to me not very practic

Anyway, thanks a lot (davidfor, karlnapf) fro your answers.

To be short, I would like to configure my Kobo with:
--- NEVER switch off , except when requested by the physical power button (the reason for it is that my library is very big, and the power on picks a lot of time)
--- when in awaiting/power off mode, show only a little message (sort of "Awaiting"), and not at all the cover of the last read book
--- forget all about header & footer when reading (read using the full screen for the text of the book)
--- forget all about reading statistics: I don't care about, and I don't want to show it anywhere.

Some help for that?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlnapf View Post
That doesn't explain the configuration file. That's just for patching.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipistrelosone View Post
--- NEVER switch off , except when requested by the physical power button (the reason for it is that my library is very big, and the power on picks a lot of time)
The power on time for my Kobo does not seem to be related to the number of books. The time to process the library when I do a factory reset and all 3000+ ebooks on the external uSD card takes several hours but the time from power off to power on and ready to read does not seem to change much no matter how few or many ebooks are loaded. The time from sleeping to ready to read is about the same time as it takes me to open the sleepcover. You have looked at the settings in the Settings => Sleep and Power? Try setting SLEEP and POWER OFF to Never. Though my personal choice is sleep => 15 minutes, power => never since I have found little difference in power usage between sleep and power off.

Quote:
--- when in awaiting/power off mode, show only a little message (sort of "Awaiting"), and not at all the cover of the last read book
Again, check the Sleep and power settings. Uncheck show current read.

Quote:
--- forget all about header & footer when reading (read using the full screen for the text of the book)
Inside the .kobo directory, locate the Kobo directory and open the Kobo eReader.conf file with an editor that understands Linux end of lines (I use Notepad++ under Windows). Locate the [FeatureSettings] heading and add FullScreenReading=true under it. If you don't find the [FeatureSettings] header, add both lines to look like:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
You should now see an item under Reading settings labelled Page Layout. Remove the checkmark from the Show Header and Footer.

Quote:
--- forget all about reading statistics: I don't care about, and I don't want to show it anywhere.
Good luck on that one. Personally, I just use DavidFor's Kobo Utilities to auto-dismiss some home screen tiles and simply disregard the rest. Since I mostly read epubs, I don't get that last page in the book reading stats.

Another recommendation is to do some searching on these forums. You might also want to check the various patching threads in the Kobo Developer's subforum. Yes, it takes some time but it does help to keep from asking questions that have been answered multiple times.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
... only for users having some experience, wich it's not me And read all th threads picking here and there bits of the information about seems to me not very practic

Anyway, thanks a lot (davidfor, karlnapf) fro your answers.

Some help for that?
DNSB has answered most of this, but I need to say this: You proved my point. Of the four things you wanted to do, only one of them needed you to know anything about the config file. And as this has been heavily discussed here, a search should have found it. The other three all have options in the settings screens. That includes the stats. They can't be turned off completely, but they become less noticeable.

Can I suggest you spend a few minutes with the device? Just go through the settings pages and have a quick look at them. And change some that look interesting. None will damage anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
pipistrelosone

Thanks A LOT to everyone for your help and your patience!
Best regards,
Pipistrelosone

Tags
configure, kobo aura