Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #1
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
Remove top/bottom margins

Hi,
how can i remove the top/bottom margins on Kobo Aura 6"?

Thanks.
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
Hi,
how can i remove the top/bottom margins on Kobo Aura 6"?

Thanks.
Depends on a lot a things and the way you want to disable it (do you want to conserve a footer or not ? Are you reading epubs or kepubs ?) If epub, and no footer, you can enable the fullscreen like explain here. If you read epubs and want to keep a tiny footer, you’ll have to patch the firmware according to this thread

For the rest, it’s more a game with css of your books (you can use calibre and remove the body margins and paddings)

If you read kepubs, you won’t be able to remove the big header, so I won’t say a word about it

Last edited by cramoisi; 07-27-2015 at 06:20 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

thx cramoisi.
i use ePub and i don't want footer.
i have read the topic, it says:

Quote:
The configuration file is a plain ASCII file with unix line breaks. When editing it, it is important to use an editor that doesn't change the file type or line break style. Most Linux and Mac text editors should be okay, but don't use Notepad or Wordpad in Windows: use an editor such as Notepad++ instead.
i use Linux, can i use "nano" for edit .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf?

Last edited by mortimer7; 07-27-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
thx cramoisi.
i use ePub and i don't want footer.
i have read the topic, it says:

i use Linux, can i use "nano" for edit .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf?
yup ! nano will do the trick ; i use it myself.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
mortimer7
Connoisseur

IT WORKS! thanks.
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Just for the record, you can disable the header in kepubs by enabling full screen reading as linked above. It's not just for epub.

However you'll want to use Geoff's patcher for whatever firmware you're using to work around the bugs that may be present in doing this.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Just for the record, you can disable the header in kepubs by enabling full screen reading as linked above. It's not just for epub.
You can, but you cannot remove the blank space where the title was before. You just get a blank header (this is what I meant saying ''you won’t be able to remove the big header''). So, disabling the header in a kepub seems to me utterly useless.

Last edited by cramoisi; 07-27-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
You can, but you cannot remove the blank space where the title was before. You just get a blank header (this is what I meant saying ''you won’t be able to remove the big header''). So, disabling the header in a kepub seems to me utterly useless.
That isn't correct. The fullscreen reading removes it completely. There is another that only affects the heading in kepubs. It removes the text but doesn't reclaim all the space.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:12 AM   #9
cramoisi
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That isn't correct. The fullscreen reading removes it completely. There is another that only affects the heading in kepubs. It removes the text but doesn't reclaim all the space.
Argh, You’re right ! Was I confused with something like «showHeader» property ? (I can’t find it back did i dream it ?) Ok ! It was showPageHeader=true/false.

Last edited by cramoisi; 07-28-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
pinho9
pinho9 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
help

Quote:
Depends on a lot a things and the way you want to disable it (do you want to conserve a footer or not ? Are you reading epubs or kepubs ?) If epub, and no footer, you can enable the fullscreen like explain here. If you read epubs and want to keep a tiny footer, you’ll have to patch the firmware according to this thread

For the rest, it’s more a game with css of your books (you can use calibre and remove the body margins and paddings)

If you read kepubs, you won’t be able to remove the big header, so I won’t say a word about it

I can not find the kobo folder on the device directory. Iam on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. Can you help me please?
pinho9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you'll have to enable hidden folders since OS X is *nix based and the kobo folder is actually .kobo rendering it invisible otherwise.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Argh, You’re right ! Was I confused with something like «showHeader» property ? (I can’t find it back did i dream it ?) Ok ! It was showPageHeader=true/false.

The show page header option will reclaim some of the space (though not all, usually enough for 1 extra line of text, also a bit more space for full page images.)

Not ideal, but it doesn't require firmware patches to work around other bugs, so might be suitable for some people.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The show page header option will reclaim some of the space (though not all, usually enough for 1 extra line of text, also a bit more space for full page images.)

Not ideal, but it doesn't require firmware patches to work around other bugs, so might be suitable for some people.
However, with the current firmware (3.18.0) in kepubs fullscreen reading will introduce an issue which is easily triggered, looking up a word, putting the device to sleep, etc. will cause the screen to refresh on every page turn in kepubs.

Patching is easy, and can reclaim more of the screen.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello
I am a new owner of Kobo Aura H2O.

From what I have gathered so far I can coclude that:
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) In Kepub format I can remove the header and the bottom margin completely by enabling full screen reading.

2) However, in full screen reading I don't have any info about reading progress (no info about number of pages etc).

3) Therefore, Is it possible in kepub to remove the header completely (no blanck space) and have a small bottom margin with the info about reading progres???

I will be very grateful for any help
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
3) Therefore, Is it possible in kepub to remove the header completely (no blanck space) and have a small bottom margin with the info about reading progres???
No, that's not possible (at least, no-one has figured out how yet.) In full-screen mode there is no progress indicator shown, and in normal mode there is a space at the top of the screen, even if you remove the title.

However you can see the page number with one tap if you leave the navigation <--> menu open, and similarly the % read is displayed after a few seconds showing the clock.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote