Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsitsee View Post
i tried them thousand time it would trash the graphics and figures .k2pdfopt works but not for all may ebooks for some of them but still not satisfactory
Which ones did not work for you. Links please.
It is hard to find you answers without any context.

Question:
You wrote that you could not return your PW-3 because you do not have it yet.
So what where you using when you found the things that did not work for you?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
i am not a book thief. i download paper and essay from mathematics site like zbmath and Ams. my university has contract with this sites and i can download 40 papers per month form those sites . so tell me how i am supposed to download essay in azw3 format??????????
Well, good thing I checked by here again, since you edited your post an hour after I first read it to provide more info.

Your earlier post implied that "you cannot afford it" was an important criteria.
I assume if there is an EPUB/AZW3 format at all, then your university has those available too -- if not, then cost is a moot point anyway.

"i download them from free ebook downloading sites" is very different from "I have PDFs from my university, but they only provide a PDF format, not EPUB or AZW3".

My point still stands. E-Ink devices suck at displaying PDF.
KOReader can only help so much, especially if, as you say, k2pdfopt returns unsatisfactory results.

Just look at that tiny screen. And the cut-rate processor (because proper ebook formats don't need as much processing as PDF does).

I would not recommend any E-Ink ereader for reading PDFs -- but if you had to get one, I would suggest looking at one of the E-Ink tablets from Onyx & similar.

Or maybe the Sony DPT-S1 (though that is pretty expensive). Unfortunately, good screen tech for people whose eyes cannot tolerate prolonged LCD displays is expensive. Blame it on being a niche market.

@knc1,

Have fun with your SVG conversions -- I am happy not to have to bother.
It may not be impossible, but it is going to be Work (with a capital "W") nonetheless.

That is why conversion houses (the one or two good ones) get paid the big bucks. Just ask @Hitch.
Making high-quality EPUB/AZW3 with vector graphics for equations is lots 'n lots 'n lots of work, much harder than scanning a PDF.

@Tex2002ans could share some stories too.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - - -
Have fun with your SVG conversions -- I am happy not to have to bother.
It may not be impossible, but it is going to be Work (with a capital "W") nonetheless.
- - - - -
a lot of work has been done in the past few years:
https://bitbucket.org/petermr/
(that is a 'funded' conversion project)

but I do notice that epub support has not had any attention in the past two years.

- - - -

Yeah, I stumbled into a few of those 'for fee' services today.
But I did take advantage of one 'on-line, try it' offer on a 32 page technical PDF with equations, timing diagrams, tables, and other difficult things to represent.

I haven't had a chance to study the result yet.

- - - -

We don't (yet) know if the books that "converters don't work on" are vector graphic or bit map page images.
I suspect bit map images.

The conversion of bit map -> vector graphics is no small problem.
It can be done, but the really good ones are still in the super computer class.
Which is an advance, I can remember when it (bm -> vg) was used as an example of a problem that could not be solved with a computer.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - - -
That is why conversion houses (the one or two good ones) get paid the big bucks. Just ask @Hitch.
Making high-quality EPUB/AZW3 with vector graphics for equations is lots 'n lots 'n lots of work, much harder than scanning a PDF.
- - - - -
Had a few minutes to take a (technical) look at my commercially converted 'sample' PDF file -

Looks identical (by eyeball anyway).
Recovers fonts (rather than glyph paths).
Inkscape likes the files (Inkscape is a SVG editor).
GIMP has no problems rendering the pages (as bit maps).

But as expected:
Image inserts remain images (bit maps - I.E: no character recognition done).

This last point is significant to our discussion here -
Transation:
If those 'books that can't be processed' are image inserts (I.E: scanned pages) or contain image inserts - not even the (expensive) commercial service I tried can do anything about them.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Had a few minutes to take a (technical) look at my commercially converted 'sample' PDF file -

Looks identical (by eyeball anyway).
Recovers fonts (rather than glyph paths).
Inkscape likes the files (Inkscape is a SVG editor).
GIMP has no problems rendering the pages (as bit maps).

But as expected:
Image inserts remain images (bit maps - I.E: no character recognition done).

This last point is significant to our discussion here -
Transation:
If those 'books that can't be processed' are image inserts (I.E: scanned pages) or contain image inserts - not even the (expensive) commercial service I tried can do anything about them.
Thanks KNC.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #51
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i still say that there is free site that out university allocated for its student to download essay and document free through this site.
this sites are
wiley. springer . ams. science direct .and etc
OK -
Individuals can sign-up (and pay) for a single document download.
Post the document title or book title that is giving you the most trouble.
If it isn't too expensive (I think Wiley Springer is one of those $40 a file places) - I'll get a copy and see if I can find what its problem is.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #52
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
you mean u wanna convert pdf file to azw3. ok i convert this book this is the free ebook. see if you cant convert it this one those free site i mentioned . the author of the put his book freely online to download it .
topology without tears by sydney morris
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...12454388,d.bGQ
That one is encrypted.

Find one from Wiley Springer that you can't convert.

How to tell:
Opening with Adobe will show a "secure" notice.
Inkscape will just fail to open it.
and
If you can open the document or book with Gimp, without the encrypted notice, but still can't convert it, that is the one we should testing with.

Translation:
With an un-encrypted PDF, Adobe, Inkscape and Gimp can all open it.

Last edited by knc1; 01-22-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
you mean first i should install inkscpe or gimp. then open my pdf file with it. if it failed to open .the pdf file is encrypted .so how can i un-encrypt it ???
Do you have Adobe reader installed?
Then just open the document with Adobe, it will tell you if the document is encrypted.

You don't unencrypt it.
Adobe does, and so do some other tools.

This service can convert it (encrypted) to SVG (viewable in a browser):
https://www.idrsolutions.com/online-...svg-converter/
Select the file on your PC -
Let it convert -
Download the resulting *.zip file.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
tnx alot
Once it is in SVG, it is no longer encrypted or write protected.

Inkscape can edit it, let you clip out quotes, generally do anything you want to it.
https://inkscape.org/en/download/
(Its free)

Inkscape can also render it as either vector or bit map.
Gimp can render it also (as bit map).
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
(Its free)

Plus -
Fondle those (bit map) output files a bit with Image Magick and you will have a "screensaver image per page".
Read one screensaver a day, learn topology in only six months.

I can't give you a direct link to Image Magick, since I don't know what OS your running on your PC.
You'll have to google for the correct binary.
(Its also free)

You wanted an e-book, but that is a lot harder -
Just make 156 Kindle sized images of the book and put it into the Kindle's image gallery.

All three tools can be scripted and run from a command line script.
You will not have to do each page "by hand" once you decide what you want to do to it.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
tnx alot . is there any way to open pdfs in multi tabs in pw3???
Nope.

Your questions read more and more like you need a decent tablet rather than an e-book reader.

You still haven't answered my question yet about that pw-3.
Do you have it now or not?
That one post of yours said you could not return it because you did not have it yet.

It is real hard (even for me) to make something work that you do not (yet) have.