Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I feel like the battery drains very quickly, something like 15% to 25% a day. I read many hours a day (more like a night), and I've noticed that I tend to set the light higher than before - an effect of the screen quality and the ease of the finger sliding: with bright lights outside, it usually ends at 100%, with lower electric light, often around 50%, at the lowest around 20%.

I have no cover and no SD card.

Do you think I should ask for an exchange? I don't measure how many hours I read, but I could at least try to monitor my night-time reading.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I feel like the battery drains very quickly, something like 15% to 25% a day. I read many hours a day (more like a night), and I've noticed that I tend to set the light higher than before - an effect of the screen quality and the ease of the finger sliding: with bright lights outside, it usually ends at 100%, with lower electric light, often around 50%, at the lowest around 20%.

I have no cover and no SD card.

Do you think I should ask for an exchange? I don't measure how many hours I read, but I could at least try to monitor my night-time reading.
Since I made this post and the day I posted I fixed my issue with battery drain by exchanging the unit I have not charged my reader. I do have the light on full at all times when I read, I have it sleep after 15 mins and I do use the kobo sleep cover. I also read on average 45 mins a day. I don't have the sync and wifi on, although I have wirelessly synced 3 times since I got this unit.
Currently the battery life is 45% So far That means I am very happy with the battery life. The drain you are getting is what I was getting as well you could visibly see it drop! So exchange if you can. I bought my unit at future shop but got the replacement at chapters. The store change was due to theory that maybe the futureshop batch was defective and certainly when you buy at Future Shop the affiliate is best buy, and the one I got at Chapters says Indigo.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well today finally had to recharge my H2O. So battery life is very good.
October 19 to Nov 2, I know most of you might disagree but based on how I use my Device its never powered off and light is always on full and all books are on sd card, means that it performs at spec like my Aura HD does.

regards

Jack
Old 11-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can't imagine always having the light on full! Don't you find it uncomfortable to read that way?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't imagine always having the light on full! Don't you find it uncomfortable to read that way?
Actually a person sees better and sharper with correct lighting. Brighter light means sharper vision which means easier on the eyes. To low of lighting strains the eyes. The brighter light means I do not need to use reading glasses to read most print sizes and I do not have to use super large print to read.
here is a link to an excellent pdf that explains things

http://www.ies.org/pdf/education/lig...oragingeye.pdf

regards

Jack
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Correct" light is the key. For me, at least, "correct" doesn't mean staring into a floodlight! But whatever works for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #22
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Correct" light is the key. For me, at least, "correct" doesn't mean staring into a floodlight! But whatever works for you.

Cant say I would call the Aura lighting scheme a flood light... but sensitivity is diff for us all really.

regards

Jack
Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Full is fine in bright ambient lighting, but when it's dark, no way. Maybe some people only ever read in a bright room/outside in the daytime?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #24
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually a person sees better and sharper with correct lighting. Brighter light means sharper vision which means easier on the eyes. To low of lighting strains the eyes. The brighter light means I do not need to use reading glasses to read most print sizes and I do not have to use super large print to read.
here is a link to an excellent pdf that explains things

http://www.ies.org/pdf/education/lig...oragingeye.pdf
Thanks for the article, which I've only started to read, but saved for use. I am very sensitive to light and have to visit contemporary art exhibitions with sun glasses for instance. I have noticed that adjusting light on the left bevel without reference to % means that with the H2o I set instinctively for 100% when the ambient light is bright, some 50 to 75% for middling lighting, and 15 to 20% in the lowest lighting I use when readying for sleep. I would never have tolerated 100% for the Glo, and even the aura 6" is not good enough for it.

I have recently reread the specifications for the H2o, and seen that their estimation of battery use is independent of lighting level - but NOT wifi use.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #25
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
It seemed to me that my H2O battery drained unusually quickly as well, and I was especially alarmed when I noticed that wifi syncs drained by battery at 15% per. Like jackastor, I could watch the numbers drop during a sync.

I sync 2-3 times a day (lots of Pocket articles), so that's a 30-45% hit on the battery daily. No wonder my juice is dropping so fast. Wifi is thirsty, and Kobo doesn't figure it into their two-month battery spec at all.

The question remains, is a 15% battery hit for a fairly lengthy sync (say 10 Pocket articles) reasonable or unreasonable?
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
It seemed to me that my H2O battery drained unusually quickly as well, and I was especially alarmed when I noticed that wifi syncs drained by battery at 15% per. Like jackastor, I could watch the numbers drop during a sync.

I sync 2-3 times a day (lots of Pocket articles), so that's a 30-45% hit on the battery daily. No wonder my juice is dropping so fast. Wifi is thirsty, and Kobo doesn't figure it into their two-month battery spec at all.

The question remains, is a 15% battery hit for a fairly lengthy sync (say 10 Pocket articles) reasonable or unreasonable?
You may want to consider exchanging it for a new one. That's what I did and the result is amazing for battery life.

regards

Jack
Old 11-05-2014, 02:01 AM   #27
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You may want to consider exchanging it for a new one. That's what I did and the result is amazing for battery life.

regards

Jack
Yes, I know. It would be quite an involved process for me. First I'm looking for more data on what's typical battery drain for other people, especially during sync.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I'm looking for more data on what's typical battery drain for other people, especially during sync.
More data on my end:

My H2O has maintained battery power for at least four days now. It's currently reading around 60%. I've been reading a couple of hours a day, often with backlight around 75%. The only "unusual" thing I've been doing is to keep my H2O charging during the few minutes it takes me to sync.

I suspect part of the issue is that my battery meter is a bit crazy, rather than my battery itself. For example, in literally seconds after I plug the Kobo in in preparation to sync, the charge can leap from, say, 60% to 69%. On the other hand, if I'm trying to charge it fully, it can hover in the low 90s for close to an hour before eventually reaching 100%.

Anyone else see behavior like this?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, my battery meter is quirky too and it doesn't appear to be very reliable. I also notice mine sits and stalls at 90% when I charge it. Then when I unplug it and plug it back in it will then show 100%
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #30
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, my battery meter is quirky too and it doesn't appear to be very reliable. I also notice mine sits and stalls at 90% when I charge it. Then when I unplug it and plug it back in it will then show 100%
Thanks! It's kind of a relief to hear from someone with a similar experience.

I am currently seeing how long I can keep mine going while only charging it during syncs and sideloads. If it's a reasonable time, I'll consider it a nuisance rather than something requiring a return.

How long can you use your Kobo before it flatlines?