Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
CC44
CC44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen
KP 1stGen with 5.4.4.2 beginner questions

Hi guys,

I've got a Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation with 5.4.4.2 that I've never registered with amazon because I never needed until now to buy any of their books or wanted to link my device to my account.
The only annoying thing with this is that I can't use collections and I'm starting to get annoyed sifting through different genres to get to what I want and collections in collections sounds awesome at this point.

1.Can I jailbreak my KP without having it been registered/linked with my amazon account ?

2. Do I download from this thread zip kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N.zip https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645 or from here K5 JailBreak (5.0.x - 5.4.4.2) | kindle-jailbreak-1.11.N-r10881.tar.xz https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

I would like the most stable version of collections program to install on my kindle with minimum risk of making a brick. NiLuJe says in last forum link I posted
Quote:
you can, and should, consider these unstable
3. After JB, I install Mobileread Kindlet Kit from here kindle-mkk-20140214.zip https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233932 or does the JB from above come with MKK bundled?

4. Do I go for KUAL or Collections Manager ? Which is most stable/best version for my KP 1stGen with 5.4.4.2 ?
CC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Sigh. Wouldn't it be easier just to register it? You only need to sign in one time and then you won't have to worry about any of the above.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-04-2014 at 06:22 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
CC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Sigh. Wouldn't it be easier just to register it? You only need to sign in one time and then you won't have to worry about any of the above.
I'm not particularly happy with amazon knowing what I've read until now or what I'll read, that's the main reason I didn't register.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC44 View Post
I'm not particularly happy with amazon knowing what I've read until now or what I'll read, that's the main reason I didn't register.
Easy answer to that is buy something other than a Kindle.

Another easy answer is to register it as normal, then simply don't turn the wi-fi on & sync with Amazon's servers in future.

Questions about jailbreaking, sorry can't help, those aren't as easy! Folk like NiLuJe in the developers forum are best places to help with those issues.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Then simply keep WiFi turned off. Problem solved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@CC44-

1- No (it doesn't make a difference for JB)
2- Either will work. The one on NiLuJe's Snapshots is the most current and includes MKK (in this version MKK should survive an update)
3- Can't help here, I don't use CM
4- If you need more help, post in the Dev's Corner
5- Welcome to the forum!

*6- Don't forget some form of an update blocker so you don't lose your hacks if Amazon pushes something (unnecessary if you are truly never going to use wifi, but not a bad idea in any case)

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
CC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@CC44-

1- No (it doesn't make a difference for JB)
2- Either will work. The one on NiLuJe's Snapshots is the most current and includes MKK (in this version MKK should survive an update)
3- Can't help here, I don't use CM
4- If you need more help, post in the Dev's Corner
5- Welcome to the forum!

*6- Don't forget some form of an update blocker so you don't lose your hacks if Amazon pushes something (unnecessary if you are truly never going to us wifi, but not a bad idea in any case)
Thank you for the welcome on the forum GoSharks

I want to do the jailbreak to be able to have collection in collection and that is why it was my first question about registration. I understood if I register the device kindle paperwhite collection will be available and not greyed out like it is right now if I try to add any book for collection but still I read CM is far superior with JB since it has collection in collection which is what I want primarly and I figured maybe I can skip the whole amazon registration process since I'm hacking my KP anyway.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just install the jb from the snapshots, it works fine and bundles the MKK.

Then install Collections Manager kindlet.

KUAL is something totally different, it is a launcher for various hacks, and can make use of a KUAL extension that simply tells CM to open -- but you can just do it directly from the CM kindlet too...

I actually use CM launched from KUAL, but only because I installed KUAL to the store button and hid CM and KUAL (using C's ability to make things invisible) but that is totally optional.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, you can just register, and use BBB (Block Big Brother) Firewall (KUAL Extension)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
CC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just install the jb from the snapshots, it works fine and bundles the MKK.

Then install Collections Manager kindlet.
Are you saying I can have collections in collections by doing the JB and CM install WITHOUT needing to register my Paperwhite with amazon account ?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes, because Amazon only disables your ability to create new collections. But if you deregister with collections, they remain until you reregister (at which point the collections are refreshed from the server).

The collections hacks (including LibrarianSync) circumvent the UI and modify the database directly, and ixtab doesn't care if you are registered.
Then the firmware sees collections so it assumes you had them before deregistering.

I have not personally confirmed that this works, but it makes sense and IIRC someone else started a similar thread a while back and confirmed it.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Quote:
Hi guys,

4. Do I go for KUAL or Collections Manager ? Which is most stable/best version for my KP 1stGen with 5.4.4.2 ?
I installed Collections Manager on a KP1st Gen, running 5.4.4.2 over the weekend and it told me it (CM) didn't work with 5.4.4.2. I was running off and didn't get the chance to investigate further....

...just FYI.
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Ah, that is right. You will need to downgrade to firmware v5.3.9 (or wait until someone writes an adapter for 5.4.4.2).
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Hmmm decisions, decisions. Downgrade firmware, jailbreak (before or after firmware fix? there's probably different jb's for different fw's), install lots of different stuff - all the time worrying about bricking and then if something does go wrong, find an unbricker OR simply connect WiFi one time, enter email address of an Amazon account (it can of course be an account specifically for this PW), permanently disconnect WiFi and woo hoo! collections.

Sorry if I don't understand why it has to be so complicated just to add collection ability.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Hmmm decisions, decisions. Downgrade firmware, jailbreak (before or after firmware fix? there's probably different jb's for different fw's), install lots of different stuff - all the time worrying about bricking and then if something does go wrong, find an unbricker OR simply connect WiFi one time, enter email address of an Amazon account (it can of course be an account specifically for this PW), permanently disconnect WiFi and woo hoo! collections.

Sorry if I don't understand why it has to be so complicated just to add collection ability.
FWIW, I think the Amazon is Big Brother Data fear is ridiculous myself, but who am I to judge? All I can do is lay out the options. (And sometimes the fear is very reasonable, say, in certain countries with political unrest/oppression, you may not want the government to know what anti-propaganda-of-the-day you are reading...)

Also FWIW, it is incredibly simple to do, with pretty much zero need to fear bricking (all this involves followed well-tread paths) and provides a lot of highly valuable utility that myself use despite not having any fear of Amazon whatsoever --I like managing my collections via calibre, and CM lets me do that.
Also, there is only one universal jailbreak. (Not counting older, pre-touch fw that still use an old attack vector and aren't upwards-compatible, plus the new KV and KT2 which are not yet jailbroken.)