Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Which firmware, which font do you use?

Hi
I got my Cybook Gen3 yesterday and it says it's version 1.1 build 787.

I've looked at the upgraded firmware 1.2 build 796 and can't see anything to get excited about so don't propose to update it. Would those with more experience say I should update due to things they've found by actually using the thing, or agree that I can safely leave well alone?

And secondly, what font/size combination do the over-50 regular Gen3 users find suits them best?
I'm obviously going to try a few, but find it's always best to look first at what others have found though experience
Currently, of the installed fonts I only find Verdana readable, and have that set at the fifth size from the top (i.e. fifth smallest) and bold.
I'm keen to get as much on a page as possible while making it easy on the eye.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I've looked at the upgraded firmware 1.2 build 796 and can't see anything to get excited about so don't propose to update it. Would those with more experience say I should update due to things they've found by actually using the thing, or agree that I can safely leave well alone?
I had occasional lockup problems that were solved with 796. I also find the better PDF support useful for the occasional times I read such documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
And secondly, what font/size combination do the over-50 regular Gen3 users find suits them best?
I generally use Constantia (a Microsoft serif font, don't recall where I picked it up) at the 5th or 6th largest size, depending upon lighting conditions.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
I've been using Bitstream Vera Sans modified by IceHand and available here (at post #3). It's clear to read and has less space between the lines than with the supplied fonts so you get more lines on the page.

Last edited by M.H.; 10-11-2008 at 12:33 PM.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Firmware build 796, Palatino 2nd smallest boldened. A size larger if the lighting isn't optimal.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I read with Lucida Sans and the fourth smalles font size.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I also use Constantia, or Georgia, or Lucida Bright (I like serif fonts better), at a fairly small size, which depends on the font and the book (Lucida is larger, so I reduce the font; the H.P. Lovecraft works are set at a smaller size, so I enlarge the font), usually it's the 4th smallest, I think.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use Georgia, but the version if it supplied with Internet Explorer, Office, etc, rather than the version you get as standard with the Gen3. The Windows version has wider spacing between the lines, which I prefer personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Bitstream Vera Sans for the same reason (more lines) as M.H. exposes and also because I do not like serif fonts for reading.

I advise you to upgrade to the last firmware (796) as you get better of everything overall (speed, battery, etc) and acceptable PDF visualization - and before this version PDF was hell in this device.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'm running 796 and change between Tahome and Ariel Unicode (For Asian Languages).

Would definitely suggest updating to the latest version as battery life is a little better and PDF handling is much improved
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Much obliged for the help guys, thank you.

I've taken your advice and upgraded the firmware - I was fearing it would do something nasty but it went just fine.

Also loaded all the fonts mentioned and will try each in turn.
First impressions are I just love the Lucinda sans at 4th smallest, bold.
Not as much on a page as some, but the white space between the lines seems to make it more restful (don't know the psychology - or is it physiology of this - any opticians here?).

I'm assuming you just get used to turning the page more often. But I'll do a book in each and see how it goes.

ps while loading my ebooks, I noticed the eBooks file had two subfolders En and Fr.
Since I don't read French these days, if I knock those subfolders out and just put stuff under eBooks will that work the same?

Last edited by Ned; 10-12-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: extra question
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Georgia(win) for novels end Calibri for news.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
I'm running version 796 on my cybook, and reading with Lido STF font
http://www.stormtype.com/typefaces-fonts-shop/free.php
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Bookman Old Style :-) just lifted it form my windows directory...
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I don't have a Cybook, but as per HarryT's recomendation, I plugged Georgia into my BeBook and never looked back

So I heartily recomend Georgia.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
DejaVu Sans Condensed at third smallest size.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote