Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
What are the disadvantages/advantages of upgrading to FW 5.8.11?

What are the disadvantages/advantages of upgrading to FW 5.8.11?

I am new to kindles and jailbreaking. I have succesfully downgraded a pw2 to FW 5.4.3 and have jailbreaked the device. Now I'm not sure whether to
1) keep it at 5.4.3 and install packages to allow custom fonts and the ability to organize collections, or
2) to upgrade to 5.8.11 for the new standard amazon font customization options, and then install the ability to organize collections.

At this point, my priority is to maintain the maximum ability to customize the device. Would upgrading to FW 5.8.11 limit my options later? I assume I would be unable to downgrade back to FW 5.4.3 once i upgrade to FW 5.8.11.

So I'm not sure of what issues there are, if any. Advice from wiser heads appreciated.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Fallacy: That you can't downgrade from recent firmware.
IF the device is jail broken, you can boot it in the alternate OS (Kindles are dual-boot) and from there install whatever primary OS version that is available for that model of device.

All firmware version allow (single level) collections.

2) for certain.
Do the update then the add-in installation.
Since you have to repeat the installation of any/all add-ins after an Amazon update, there is no reason to put them on the device if your going to immediately wipe them with an Amazon update.

Also:
You write that you downgraded the firmware to 5.4.3 - which rises the question of what jail break directions you where following.
Please post the link.
I can't tell you if your jail break will survive installing an Amazon update package until I have the link to the directions you followed, and the details on any variations you took to those directions.
The question is raised in part because the directions you should have followed do not involve that firmware version.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Fallacy: That you can't downgrade from recent firmware.
IF the device is jail broken, you can boot it in the alternate OS (Kindles are dual-boot) and from there install whatever primary OS version that is available for that model of device.
I didn't know that. What is the alternate OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You write that you downgraded the firmware to 5.4.3 - which rises the question of what jail break directions you where following.
Please post the link.
I can't tell you if your jail break will survive installing an Amazon update package until I have the link to the directions you followed, and the details on any variations you took to those directions.
The question is raised in part because the directions you should have followed do not involve that firmware version.
I followed the instructions here for PW2:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

which instructed me to install the FW

Quote:
PW2
factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial
factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_md5
I then followed the link pointing to the specific jailbreak for PW2:

Quote:
The PW-2 is a special case at this point in the directions **
Use the prior 'universal jailbreak' from this post:
Old Universal Jail Break
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

It all worked okay (gave the *Jailbreak* message on-screen). I've yet to install the "Dummy" installation package but I'll complete that before I proceed any further.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware version 5.4.3 is not equal to 5.4.3.2 (the numbers are not the same, nor is the actual code).

You don't need to install the 'dummy' package unless you want the report.

You are now running a firmware built for use in the "Factory Only" - used for their production line testing, you do need to install a "Customer Use" firmware build.

The directions you followed are correct for that device, your jail break will survive the update to a "Customer Use" firmware package.

None of our add-ins where ever intended to run on a "Factory Only" firmware build.
Which is another good reason to do any update now.

That is Step 7 of the procedure which you are now up to.
That does the switch from "Factory Only" build to "Customer USE" build.

Then do Step 8.
That installs the required application launcher and application installer.

People have in the past made a mistake, when I wrote to skip the next two steps (Step 5 and Step 6) they did not return and finish doing Step 7 and Step 8.
That is, they skip the next four steps (5, 6, 7, and 8) which is wrong.
Just finish out the jail break instructions (doing 7 and 8).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard

Many thanks.
Advert