Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
dmarcus48
dmarcus48 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
epub and pdb for Kindle?

I know this is one of those topics that has probably been discussed before, and many people are going to tell me "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION". But I just found this forum and Calibre, so forgive me this once.

I've been reading ebooks for over a year, probably have read at least 80 books, reading mostly on my blackberry, and recently itouch. But I'm a fast reader and the page size is killing me, so I've been looking into ereaders.

I had given up on getting Kindle because of the lack of support for epub and pdb formats. I've been investigating for a couple of weeks now, and I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Nook, BUT. Does this mean that Calibre will convert my books into a Kindle format?

Can I read my books from B&N on a Kindle? Or am I missing something.

TIA

Dave
dmarcus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you first remove the DRM (encryption), which for eReader and B&N ePubs uses your credit card number as the password, then Calibre can convert eReader pdb's and ePubs to MOBI for the Kindle. There are tools for circumventing most DRM schemes, see Apprentice Alf's Blog for a summary.

If you are happy with B&N, then the Nook is a good choice. The Kindle 3 and the Kindle store is better than the Nook and B&N store in my opinion, but the difference for mainstream reading isn't large and a lot of the difference is software (and B&N may add features to complete with the K3).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
dmarcus48
dmarcus48 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Wallcraft thanks for your reply, and it's good to know I have another option. I find I tend to buy most of my books at B&N, rather then Amazon. It's not the price, but the selection. I tend to find an author I like and then read the entire series in order. I find them on B&N but not on Amazon, so that's the reason for the B&N preference. Plus it looks like the Kindle is back ordered until the end of Sept.
dmarcus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
You can use Cool Reader 3 on kindle 4 after you install a launcher like cr3runner or kite. It works almost perfect for me and does support epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, doc, pdb formats. In combination with free k3chess it makes the kindle the best book reader for me.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote